The film thread.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Got 4K Basic Instinct to watch tonight. Love the film, which gives me David Fincher vibes when I watch it, which I think is because of The Game, both with Micheal Douglask and a slightly Howard Shore-like score from Jerry Goldsmith. In fact, I might have to watch The Game after it…

I read the colour was apparently slightly off, make the blue sky a little more teal than blue, but I’m going to see if I can change that with the hue setting on my player, and if not, can I live with the colour difference. If so, it’s available for £13.50 at the moment, although I’m guessing it’ll be in the 3 for £30 before long.

Spirited Away on blu ray - absolutely beautiful - so much so that I watch with dubbed voices rather than subtitles. Quite why children in animation have to have such grating voices is beyond me, but it doesn't spoil it at all.
While I’m all for watching foreign films in their native language with subtitles, I occasionally watch the odd foreign language movie with English dubbing in order to look at the film more.

The Evil Dead on blu ray - still not quite sure what I make of it - it's certainly scary...
It’s one of those films that you needed to see during the video nasty era. I’m not sure it has the same impact for those watching it a decade or more later. Even though most of the effects and make-up are quite ropey nowadays, I remember watching it for the first time on Betamax after my dad rented it out for me. I was about 12/13.

The last couple of times I’ve watched it I did so in black and white, as I think it really suits the film, and the make-up doesn’t look as bad.

Censor is a recent film with video nasty era themes, about a film censor in the early 80s working on a film which is obviously influenced by Evil Dead.

Or did you mean the reboot from almost 10 years ago?

Reactions: 12th Monkey
It’s one of those films that you needed to see during the video nasty era. I’m not sure it has the same impact for those watching it a decade or more later. Even though most of the effects and make-up are quite ropey nowadays, I remember watching it for the first time on Betamax after my dad rented it out for me. I was about 12/13.

The last couple of times I’ve watched it I did so in black and white, as I think it really suits the film, and the make-up doesn’t look as bad.

Censor is a recent film with video nasty era themes, about a film censor in the early 80s working on a film which is obviously influenced by Evil Dead.

Or did you mean the reboot from almost 10 years ago?
No, I mean the original. Some of the effects really are pretty suspect it's true, but there's certainly a pervasive sense of menace - it's this that makes it work for me, I think. I'll be interested to see what my 21y/o daughter made of it when we have a debrief!

I'd heard good things about Censor.

No, I mean the original. Some of the effects really are pretty suspect it's true, but there's certainly a pervasive sense of menace - it's this that makes it work for me, I think. I'll be interested to see what my 21y/o daughter made of it when we have a debrief!

I'd heard good things about Censor.
For someone who wasn’t even born in the same century as Evil Dead, I can’t see them appreciating it like people who witnessed it on release. I think it has to be a genre that is followed and studied by a younger individual to really get what it had in its day.

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Source Code last night - there's been some good SF in the last few years - Moon, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049 etc etc.
You might want to look at the release dates for those... The slow drip of good sci-fi doesn't seem to be getting any faster. It's a pet peeve of mine as a sci-fi lover. Of the 20 highest grossing films of all time, something like 7 of them are sci-fi. Yet the movie business can barely turn out one good sci-fi movie a year :(

Revolt -- Blu-Ray -- Marmite low budget sci-fi action movie. Has a lot of problems but also does a lot with its budget.

You might want to look at the release dates for those... The slow drip of good sci-fi doesn't seem to be getting any faster. It's a pet peeve of mine as a sci-fi lover. Of the 20 highest grossing films of all time, something like 7 of them are sci-fi. Yet the movie business can barely turn out one good sci-fi movie a year :(

Revolt -- Blu-Ray -- Marmite low budget sci-fi action movie. Has a lot of problems but also does a lot with its budget.
I did realise I was perhaps stretching the definition of few years, but there have been some significant droughts!

Not seen Dune yet, but Villeneuve’s on a roll.

I think there’s been so much crappy sci-fi stuff produced that studios don’t take a sci-fi film seriously unless there’s some major names behind it. The image these crappy sci-fi films create for the genre I think affects the public’s perception of a sci-fi release at the cinema, and many might skip it thinking it’s going to be the usual rubbish. And then there’s the modern, typical big blockbuster sci-fi equivalent to the likes of Armageddon (OTT nonsense), like Roland Emmerich’s recent effort, Moonfall - which I haven’t seen yet, but the trailer just reminded me of those types of films, so I don’t really want to see it. Give me Duncan Jones’ Moon any day of the week over stuff like that.

Reactions: 12th Monkey

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Not seen Dune yet, but Villeneuve’s on a roll.

I think there’s been so much crappy sci-fi stuff produced that studios don’t take a sci-fi film seriously unless there’s some major names behind it. The image these crappy sci-fi films create for the genre I think affects the public’s perception of a sci-fi release at the cinema, and many might skip it thinking it’s going to be the usual rubbish. And then there’s the modern, typical big blockbuster sci-fi equivalent to the likes of Armageddon (OTT nonsense), like Roland Emmerich’s recent effort, Moonfall - which I haven’t seen yet, but the trailer just reminded me of those types of films, so I don’t really want to see it. Give me Duncan Jones’ Moon any day of the week over stuff like that.
To me, Villeneuve's Dune was boring as hell. I love the book but, to be fair, it's probably impossible to make an interesting film from it. Villeneuve tried and lots of people like it so maybe it's just me.

Moonfall... From the director who gave us 2012... That'll be an assertive No from me.

If you like Moon, have you watched Cargo? Similar budget.

People who don't like SF think that rubbish SF is all there is, and that somehow stuff with characterisation and subtlety somehow isn't SF. Their loss.
It's probably just a preference thing. Put on a movie about sports and I'll lose interest in the same way.

The Thirteenth Floor -- DVD -- medium budget movie which shows some of the concepts in The Matrix were simply on Hollywood's mind that year.

TRENDING THREADS