The film thread.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Le Voyage Dans la Lune
Music made by the French band Air to celebrate the restoration of the hand-coloured version of one of the first movies. Some versions of the CD come with a DVD of the restoration with the music accompanying the 14 minute movie. The movie itself is an incredible achievement for 1902.

Reactions: davidf
Le Voyage Dans la Lune
Music made by the French band Air to celebrate the restoration of the hand-coloured version of one of the first movies. Some versions of the CD come with a DVD of the restoration with the music accompanying the 14 minute movie. The movie itself is an incredible achievement for 1902.
I did a big run of George Méliès films last year, making him my third most watched director of 2021 - he did some wonderful stuff for the time, and certainly the inventor of “special effects”. Massive shame that most of his films were lost or destroyed.

For those that don’t know, Martin Scorcese’s Hugo, while fiction, covers much of his history, and is a wonderful film.

For my sins, I watched The Phantom Menace last night. You know sometimes you think that a film can't be as bad as you recall (step forward An American Werewolf in Paris), and they confound you by being as pants as you recall? This is one. I know the thought has been expressed in many places by many others with greater eloquence than I can muster, but: Jar Jar Binks - why?!

D

Deleted member 197450

For my sins, I watched The Phantom Menace last night. You know sometimes you think that a film can't be as bad as you recall (step forward An American Werewolf in Paris), and they confound you by being as pants as you recall? This is one. I know the thought has been expressed in many places by many others with greater eloquence than I can muster, but: Jar Jar Binks - why?!
How wude! ;)

Reactions: 12th Monkey
Blade on 4k - not big or clever, and with the occasional dodgy special effect, but I enjoy it.

Compared BR to 4k whilst checking both discs, and whilst the extra detail is obvious, it never ceases to surprise me how much of a difference HDR makes - there's a scene where Blade's car's path is crossed by a train and the difference in headlight brightness means the car is apparent from the off on 4k, but much less so on BR.

DCarmi

I've been working my way through the Marvel films most of which I hadn't seen before. My conclusion is that with one or two exceptions (e.g., Black Panther and I quite enjoyed the drivel that was Ant Man and I guess Guardians 1), many of them are far too far up their own rear ends. I am really struggling with Endgame, which people seem to rave about.

I'll cut my losses and find something more worthwhile.

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
I've been working my way through the Marvel films most of which I hadn't seen before. My conclusion is that with one or two exceptions (e.g., Black Panther and I quite enjoyed the drivel that was Ant Man and I guess Guardians 1), many of them are far too far up their own rear ends. I am really struggling with Endgame, which people seem to rave about.

I'll cut my losses and find something more worthwhile.
Smart move to cut your losses after Endgame. IMO, Marvel went downhill after Infinity War.

Back on topic, another mix of randomness:
Mission Impossible: Fallout -- 4K -- exemplary cinematography though no real use of the UHD/HDR format -- standout moment: Tom Cruise doing his own helicopter stunts through mountain canyons.

Tangled -- Blu Ray -- get an injection of slapstick, kitsch, comedy musical. -- standout moment: Donna Murphy's vocals on "Mother Knows Best".

Warlords of Atlantis -- DVD -- even though the effects look dated, a proper adventure that makes me remember cinema used to be about entertainment and spectacle -- standout moment: monsters attack Atlantis.

Reactions: DCarmi

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Seeing as I watched it last night...
Hail, Caesar! -- Nutflicks -- a Cohen brothers take on a slice of life at a Hollywood studio in the 1950s -- standout moment: difficult to pick because there are so many but maybe the top acting talent shown as they change character between "on" and "off" camera.

Anything spanish language will be more of a passion film for Del Toro, with the English speaking films more likely to be films he’s had to make in order to do his passion films. There are some exceptions of course, Blade II and (surprisingly) Pacific Rim being two examples.

For me, Blade II was one of the best cinema experiences that year (I actually forget the other one!). A slightly different take on the vampire genre (and the vampire’s physical features too), and plenty of action thrown in too, with pretty good special effects topping it off. At least 8.5/10 from me :)

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts