The Devialet thread

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
You analyze your observations very well, Matt. Reading your review is almost like we're there!

For myself, I'm glad the difference between the Avantgarde and Avantgarde Arrete versions doesn't seem too big.

As for the Dalis, though they seem to sound marvellous, they're obviously too vast for our livingroom-to-be... If you can get away with these, you might also consider a pair of ESLs (any dealer around who's willing to stock Essence ESLs, Matt?).

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Macspur said:
Matt,

I can only concur with Docs comments... superb write up, thank you again.

Mac

Thanks for all your kind comments.

I must admit I was surprised how well the Dalis compared to the Audiovectors (though of course the Dalis do cost a cool £2K more). The bigger Dalis just provide more LF information, and this adds to the overall sense of musicality.

So next week I should have the AN-Es on home demo. I've also booked myself in to hear the Martin Logan Ethos and Sonus faber Olympica IIs side by side. Chalk and cheese?

CnoEvil said:
I predict that none of them will beat the SFs that you currently have your eye on.

Prediction duly noted! :read:

DocG said:
As for the Dalis, though they seem to sound marvellous, they're obviously too vast for our livingroom-to-be... If you can get away with these, you might also consider a pair of ESLs (any dealer around who's willing to stock Essence ESLs, Matt?).

The Essence 1600s would certainly fit. I've e-mailed Mr Essence re. stockists in the UK.

:cheers:

Matt

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I've been carpet-bombing UK dealers recently, just to see what they suggest in the way of speakers to go with my Dev. I've found it helpful to send them a list of what I've heard with the briefest of notes on my view of each model. I thought you might find the list interesting. The asterisks mean that I heard the speakers with a Devialet.

Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arreté — clean, dynamic, spacious sound.*

Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde — same as above, perhaps less persuasive bass.*

B&W 804D — top end too brittle; impressive but unsubtle.*

Dali Epicon 6 — dynamic, rhythmic, spacious, dramatic.*

Focal 1038be — weird: very fast and spacious but boxy.

Harbeth Monitor 30.1 — very natural.*

Harbeth Super HL5 — magical and spacious.*

KEF Reference 203/2 — correct but a bit lean with vocals.

KEF R900 — OK: warm, a bit too round.

Kudos Super 20 — nicely fast and true.

Marshall Choong FS-1 — fast and very vivid, but a bit boxy.*

Marshall Choong CM-3 — brilliant imaging, but a bit closed in.*

Neat Ultimatum XLS — big sound, not refined.

Paradigm Signature S6 — lovely bottom end, but scratchy and mucky treble.*

PMC Fact 8 — very fast, bass a bit dislocated.*

PMC twenty.23 — exciting but treble a bit brittle.

Proac D30R — lovely golden sound, but not really accurate.*

Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M — ravishingly sweet, fast and tonally true.*

Sonus faber Cremona M — less coherent than the Auditors.*

Sonus faber Olympica I — amazing precision, just a bit too bright: maybe not run in fully?.*

Sonus faber Olympica II — utterly wonderful: natural, sweet, spacious.*

Sonus faber Venere 2.5 — warm and easy to live with, but a bit dark.*

Spendor D7 — horrid; must have been something wrong with this pair.*

Vivid V1.5 — astonishingly fast and dramatic; brilliantly articulate.*

Wilson-Benesch Vertex — great imaging, but slightly sterile.*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
I've been carpet-bombing UK dealers recently, just to see what they suggest in the way of speakers to go with my Dev. I've found it helpful to send them a list of what I've heard with the briefest of notes on my view of each model. I thought you might find the list interesting. The asterisks mean that I heard the speakers with a Devialet.

Just making a condensed assessment of every speaker that you've heard, tells a story and will help you as well.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:

Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arreté — clean, dynamic, spacious sound.*

Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde — same as above, perhaps less persuasive bass.*

B&W 804D — top end too brittle; impressive but unsubtle.*

Dali Epicon 6 — dynamic, rhythmic, spacious, dramatic.*

Focal 1038be — weird: very fast and spacious but boxy.

Harbeth Monitor 30.1 — very natural.*

Harbeth Super HL5 — magical and spacious.*

KEF Reference 203/2 — correct but a bit lean with vocals.

KEF R900 — OK: warm, a bit too round.

Kudos Super 20 — nicely fast and true.

Marshall Choong FS-1 — fast and very vivid, but a bit boxy.*

Marshall Choong CM-3 — brilliant imaging, but a bit closed in.*

Neat Ultimatum XLS — big sound, not refined.

Paradigm Signature S6 — lovely bottom end, but scratchy and mucky treble.*

PMC Fact 8 — very fast, bass a bit dislocated.*

PMC twenty.23 — exciting but treble a bit brittle.

Proac D30R — lovely golden sound, but not really accurate.*

Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M — ravishingly sweet, fast and tonally true.*

Sonus faber Cremona M — less coherent than the Auditors.*

Sonus faber Olympica I — amazing precision, just a bit too bright: maybe not run in fully?.*

Sonus faber Olympica II — utterly wonderful: natural, sweet, spacious.*

Sonus faber Venere 2.5 — warm and easy to live with, but a bit dark.*

Spendor D7 — horrid; must have been something wrong with this pair.*

Vivid V1.5 — astonishingly fast and dramatic; brilliantly articulate.*

Wilson-Benesch Vertex — great imaging, but slightly sterile.*

Suppose you must be nearly halfway now, Matt! Keep up the good work!

(and I thought that I was an 'optimizer'...) :)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Macspur said:
Which ones have made it through to the next round? Olympica 2 Vivids, Harbeth?

Olympicas, Audiovectors, Vivids. The Dali Epicon 6s would be on the shortlist if they weren't so big.

The Harbeths (both SHL5s and 30.1s) came up against the Cremonas in demos at K J West One back in the summer. This was the first time I heard the Devialet, and it was the moment I fell in love with both Devialet and SF. I really like the Harbeths and hope I'll own some one day, but it was the SFs that won my heart.

CnoEvil said:
Just making a condensed assessment of every speaker that you've heard, tells a story and will help you as well.

Indeed, it's been a useful exercise for me, not least for mental housekeeping.

DocG said:
Suppose you must be nearly halfway now, Matt! Keep up the good work!

(and I thought that I was an 'optimizer'...) :)

I have a few still on the list: GamuT, Elac, Guru, Revel, Avalon, Martin Logan, Magnepan, Audio Note, Triangle, Devore and maybe one or two others I can't remember. But I'm going to impose a guillotine: all new speaker auditions will cease at the end of April. By then I'll probably be sick of the sight of speakers ...

After that it'll be the final home trials, and an order for new speakers will be placed in May or June.

:pray:

Matt

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Macspur said:
Which ones have made it through to the next round? Olympica 2 Vivids, Harbeth?

Olympicas, Audiovectors, Vivids. The Dali Epicon 6s would be on the shortlist if they weren't so big.

The Harbeths (both SHL5s and 30.1s) came up against the Cremonas in demos at K J West One back in the summer. This was the first time I heard the Devialet, and it was the moment I fell in love with both Devialet and SF. I really like the Harbeths and hope I'll own some one day, but it was the SFs that won my heart.

Ah, I forgot about the Harbeth Demo at KJ's, I was thinking of the home one with the AMS35I, so assumed you still had to hear them with the Dev.

Of the others yet to hear, I will be particularly interested in your thoughts of the Revel and GamuT.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
I have a few still on the list: GamuT, Elac, Guru, Revel, Avalon, Martin Logan, Magnepan, Audio Note, Triangle, Devore and maybe one or two others I can't remember.

From that list, I heard:

- Guru: the QM10 was not too impressive, though I blame the demo room. I take it you go for the QM60s: haven't heard them, but they're no lookers like SF.

- ML: Ethos, driven by Accuphase: open and dynamic but harsh at higher volume.

- Magnepan: 1.7, driven by a Mastersound valve amp. Left me very impressed. Detailed, true, excellent soundstage. But too big for my plan.

- AN: the AN-K was underwhelming, but I guess the AN-E could be a very different ballgame. Very curious what you think of it...

- Devore: I heard the Gibbon 88, driven by my Dev (didn't write my impressions down yet... :oops: ): very coherent, musical, dynamic; surprising bass depth (though lacking in bass texture -- it's a small two-way after all...)

Then the Essence ESLs might be a good match too; their impedance drops no lower than 3 Ohm at 20 kHz (shouldn't worry the Dev) and the cross-overless design promises a coherent sound. Not sure they will reach the UK within your deadline, though...

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
From that list, I heard:

- Guru: the QM10 was not too impressive, though I blame the demo room. I take it you go for the QM60s: haven't heard them, but they're no lookers like SF.

- ML: Ethos, driven by Accuphase: open and dynamic but harsh at higher volume.

- Magnepan: 1.7, driven by a Mastersound valve amp. Left me very impressed. Detailed, true, excellent soundstage. But too big for my plan.

- AN: the AN-K was underwhelming, but I guess the AN-E could be a very different ballgame. Very curious what you think of it...

- Devore: I heard the Gibbon 88, driven by my Dev (didn't write my impressions down yet... :oops: ): very coherent, musical, dynamic; surprising bass depth (though lacking in bass texture -- it's a small two-way after all...)

Then the Essence ESLs might be a good match too; their impedance drops no lower than 3 Ohm at 20 kHz (shouldn't worry the Dev) and the cross-overless design promises a coherent sound. Not sure they will reach the UK within your deadline, though...

Thanks for your notes, Doc.

The only time I've heard Martin Logans was at a show. The volume was turned right up and, like you, I found them harsh. Let's see how they sound at normal listening levels with the Dev.

I've exchanged emails with Bob Rapoport of Essence. It seems they're due to ship imminently, but no UK dealers yet. :cry:

I'd love to be able to accommodate some Maggies. Maybe it can be done ...

James7 said:
It has been a fascinating journey so far Matt. Best of luck as you close in on the home straight.

Thanks, James. No doubt still a few twists and turns in store!

Matt

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
I haven't had a chance to try our 170 on any speakers yet - set it up with the Blades to run it in. Luverly :)

Cheers, David.

It'll be interesting to hear how you get on with it and especially which speakers you think it works best with.

What source are you/will you be using?

Matt

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Larry_B said:
Has anyone tried using one of these amps with B&W 802 speakers?

Many thanks,

Larry

I did try the 804s with the Devialet 170. It seemed like a totally unproblematic combo and very impressive, but the B&W 800 series sound isn't really my thing.

For his Hi-Fi News review of the 170, Paul Miller used the 802s. You can read the review HERE.

Matt

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Hi Matt..

How do you compare the Dali epicon 6 with SF olympica II?

regards

Iceman

Hello Iceman,

Purely from memory, the Epicons produce a bigger image and are more persuasive at the bottom end. I think they have a nice airy treble. I recall the treble of the Olympicas as being sweeter, perhaps more forward.

I'm going to hear the Olympicas again on Friday, so will be able to refresh my memory.

Matt

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
OK, so the Audionote AN-Es arrived this morning, courtesy of the very helpful folk at Luxurie. (Is hi-fi a luxury product? Of course it is!)

They're sounding pretty good, I have to say. I think I'll have them for a week or two, so you won't be getting a full report on them for a while.

Matt

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
OK, so the Audionote AN-Es arrived this morning, courtesy of the very helpful folk at Luxurie. (Is hi-fi a luxury product? Of course it is!)

They're sounding pretty good, I have to say. I think I'll have them for a week or two, so you won't be getting a full report on them for a while.

Matt

You probably don't need reminding, but the placing of these speakers is totally counter-intuitive.....they like being in / near corners, and close to rear walls. If the positioning is got right, they can sound like much bigger speakers....The amount of scale they are capable of generating, can be somewhat disconcerting.

They sound fantastic on the end of AN Valve amps, but it could be a bit of a lottery on the Devialet......though well worth finding out. I look forward to how you find them.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
matt49 said:

Matt

You probably don't need reminding, but the placing of these speakers is totally counter-intuitive.....they like being in / near corners, and close to rear walls. If the positioning is got right, they can sound like much bigger speakers....The amount of scale they are capable of generating, can be somewhat disconcerting.

They sound fantastic on the end of AN Valve amps, but it could be a bit of a lottery on the Devialet......though well worth finding out. I look forward to how you find them.

Thanks, Cno. The dealer delivered them in person and spent quite a bit of time on placing them to his satisfaction. I might still do a bit of tweaking though, since I have them on loan for a while.

Matt

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
The dealer delivered them in person and spent quite a bit of time on placing them to his satisfaction. I might still do a bit of tweaking though, since I have them on loan for a while.

Matt

If you move them, make sure you have marked their current position with something like masking tape, so they can be accurately replaced if necessary.

Did the dealer mention what type of stands they like or leave suitable ones?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts