The Devialet thread

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
Hi Cno,

My extensively run-in 110 is now performing Dave Brubeck's Time Out for me (some one recommended it, but who... :? ). Sheer enjoyment!

Good, innit!

You could also try Getz/Gilberto, and some Jacques Loussier plays Bach, if they're not something you're already familiar with.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Macspur said:
Brilliant!

I can't wait until next April... a full review by the weekend please.

Doc's alright, at least he's got one to play with, all be it soiled goods, but as you found Matt, all comes to those who wait.

smiley-smile.gif

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Cheers, Mac! You've been extraordinarily helpful and generous with your time over the past few months, giving me the benefit of your accumulated experience and good sense. Sorry to single you out, but I feel that this is a suitably emotional moment to put my thanks to you on record. (Sniff sniff, blub blub.)

The "review", such as it is, will come out piecemeal over the next couple of weeks. I also have some messing around with sources to do. It'll be interesting to see if I can get this system to sound even better than it's sounding already.

:cheers:

Matt

Hi Matt,

You've brought a tear to my glass eye!

Seriously though, you know the pleasure is all mine and always glad to help.

Any idea what you've got in mind with regards sources?

Mac

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
DocG said:
Hi Cno,

My extensively run-in 110 is now performing Dave Brubeck's Time Out for me (some one recommended it, but who... :? ). Sheer enjoyment!

Good, innit! You could also try Getz/Gilberto, and some Jacques Loussier plays Bach, if they're not something you're already familiar with.

Ah yes, some Jobim is a good idea! 'Desafinado' (not you, the song!).

Hadn't heard of Jacques Loussier. He seems to have played quite a lot of Bach (and then some...). I'll have a taste on Spotify first. :cheers:

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Good, innit! You could also try Getz/Gilberto, and some Jacques Loussier plays Bach, if they're not something you're already familiar with.

And if you like Stan Getz in Samba mode you could try:

Stan Getz with guest artist Laurindo Almeida (Verve 2008 )

Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd, 'Jazz Samba' (Verve 2009)

Stan Getz and Luis Bonfa, 'Jazz Samba Encore' (Verve 1993)

Cal Tjader/Stan Getz Sextet (Decca Original Jazz Classics 2011)

These are all remasters and sound lovely, especially through a Devialet.

8)

Matt

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Macspur said:
Any idea what you've got in mind with regards sources?

Well, I have two modded Sonos boxes, one by Fidelity Audio (currently plugged in to the Dev) and one by Wyred4Sound. Then there's the direct PC to Dev via USB or wireless ('AIR') route. Or I have an old Arcam CDP hanging around; not up to much, but worth dusting off just for fun.

I might also try a Linn DS box, though I'm not keen on the Linn streaming software and GUI. But it would be worth trialling a Linn box against my modded Sonos boxes to see how the SQ compares.

And I have to admit there's a little romantic part of me that would like to get back into vinyl. I don't think it'll ever happen though. Digital through the Devialet sounds fantastic and has absolutely none of the harshness or chunkiness that vinyl addicts complain about. I think vinyl would just be (lots of) money down the drain.

Any other suggestions?

Matt

EDIT: Oh and I think it might be possible to plug my Synology NAS (which stores all my music files) straight into the Dev via USB. To my knowledge no-one has managed to do this with a NAS before, but I have a cunning plan. :twisted:

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
CnoEvil said:

8)

Matt

Happy days ahead! :cheers:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
matt49 said:
CnoEvil said:

8)

Matt

Happy days ahead! :cheers:

Hi doc, leave the 'easy listening' to one side and try a bit of Ornette Coleman.

I recommend you try 'Free Jazz', played by the 'double quartet'. I you can make sense of this your system really is the canine cojones..... :rockout:

If you find that a bit too much, start with something easy, the classic "Shape of Jazz to come".

I got into Coleman after hearing an interview with Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce, at the time of the reunion concert.

They explained that how, before Cream, they played mostly Jazz and that during their live peak they fell back on their Jazz roots, playing as the rhythm section allowing Eric to play what he liked, 'just like Ornette Coleman'.

"We were playing jazz, we just didn't tell Eric", was Jack Bruce's final word on the subject...... :rofl:

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
No mishaps this afternoon, and no sign of aliens. Some two months later than promised (the teeth are no longer gritted), I now have a brand new Dev 170 (sorry, Doc!). It's receiving a digital signal, and music's coming out of the Cremonas. Job done.

Matt

congratulations Matt. Having followed your search with real interest and enjoyment this feels like the end of an era, but perhaps it's the beginning. Either way I am delighted for you, or is that deeply envious?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
James7 said:
congratulations Matt. Having followed your search with real interest and enjoyment this feels like the end of an era, but perhaps it's the beginning. Either way I am delighted for you, or is that deeply envious?

Cheers, James! Definitely still the beginning: lots of exploration ahead.

... which brings me neatly on to something Dave posted just now on another thread

davedotco said:
A bit early I know, but have you any impression of the onboard digital processing of the Dev?

Another thought that has been bothering me is the suggestion that I read somewhere, that Devialet are working on getting onboard support for streaming solutions such as Spotify. Having gone to the trouble of building their own onboard Ogg Vorbis codec it strikes me as logical.

Have you heard anything about this or was I imagining it....... :?

Nothing of substance to say on either front, I'm afraid.

I haven't heard any rumours about onboard support for Spotify etc. Presumably before that happens they'll have to move the streaming software on board. ATM streaming/decoding happens in an external PC/Mac using the Dev software, and the decoded stream is pushed to the Dev via ethernet/wireless. Why not sit the software in the Dev itself, which would mean you could connect a NAS straight to the Dev via ethernet, without the need for a PC/Mac?

It'll be fun to mess with the DSP, but I gather it's still pretty basic ATM. Proper room correction will be interesting when/if it happens.

I know this isn't really relevant but I found it quite amusing. A month or so ago I demoed some speakers (Proac, PMC, B&W) at a Dev dealer near me (not the dealer I bought the Dev from, I should add). The question was how to connect the CDP he was using as the source. I said: digital out into the Dev. He said: no, the DAC in the CDP will be better than the DAC in the Dev, so analogue out of the CDP. I tried to explain that an analogue signal would immediately go through ADC in the Dev and then through the Dev's own DAC, but he wasn't having any of it.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
James7 said:

... which brings me neatly on to something Dave posted just now on another thread

davedotco said:
A bit early I know, but have you any impression of the onboard digital processing of the Dev?

Another thought that has been bothering me is the suggestion that I read somewhere, that Devialet are working on getting onboard support for streaming solutions such as Spotify. Having gone to the trouble of building their own onboard Ogg Vorbis codec it strikes me as logical.

I haven't heard any rumours about onboard support for Spotify etc. Presumably before that happens they'll have to move the streaming software on board. ATM streaming/decoding happens in an external PC/Mac using the Dev software, and the decoded stream is pushed to the Dev via ethernet/wireless. Why not sit the software in the Dev itself, which would mean you could connect a NAS straight to the Dev via ethernet, without the need for a PC/Mac?

It'll be fun to mess with the DSP, but I gather it's still pretty basic ATM. Proper room correction will be interesting when/if it happens.

I know this isn't really relevant but I found it quite amusing. A month or so ago I demoed some speakers (Proac, PMC, B&W) at a Dev dealer near me (not the dealer I bought the Dev from, I should add). The question was how to connect the CDP he was using as the source. I said: digital out into the Dev. He said: no, the DAC in the CDP will be better than the DAC in the Dev, so analogue out of the CDP. I tried to explain that an analogue signal would immediately go through ADC in the Dev and then through the Dev's own DAC, but he wasn't having any of it.

Worrying. Can see why you didn't buy from them.

smiley-frown.gif

Mac

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
Hi doc, leave the 'easy listening' to one side and try a bit of Ornette Coleman.

I recommend you try 'Free Jazz', played by the 'double quartet'. I you can make sense of this your system really is the canine cojones..... :rockout:

If you find that a bit too much, start with something easy, the classic "Shape of Jazz to come".

Hi Dave,

Think I'll stick to the 'easy listening' for now; these days, I only listen at night, with my better half in the same room. She gets nervous with jazz.

I for one have a limited but eclectic knowledge/taste in jazz (from Ben Webster or Stan Getz, via John Scofield and Jaco Pastorius, to Rabih Abou-Khalil or X-Legged Sally (you could argue the latter is more heavy metal - which is probably true). Didn't get to Ornette Coleman yet. I'll give him a try next week, when I have a couple of days off (and the house to myself :rockout: ).

Thinking of it, I might play some Billy Bob's, chilled beer at hand too!

Thanks for the tip! :cheers:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I always think it is quite amazing what a new 'system' does to your musical interests, I always find myself playing and exploring different things and find it a very exiting time.

Happens in other ways too, a month or two ago Mrs DDC announced that she was planning to take us on a whale watching trip around February, March time which once again saw any proper upgrade funds disappear without trace.

The trip would involve a change of aircraft in DFW, assuming we fly American, which is the plan. The flights are pretty long so I wondered about a couple of nights stopover and started Googling for things to do and see.

Up popped Billy Bob's, 'the biggest honkytonk in the world' and I started playing through the selection of albums recorded live at the venue. This got me back into one of my favourite musical genres, bar room rock and roll, only this time Texas style.

I love Texas and back in the nineties we spent some time in Austen and San Antonio which both had vibrant music scenes, so a stopover in Fort Worth for a little rock and roll would be a hoot.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
I always think it is quite amazing what a new 'system' does to your musical interests, I always find myself playing and exploring different things and find it a very exiting time. Happens in other ways too, a month or two ago Mrs DDC announced that she was planning to take us on a whale watching trip around February, March time which once again saw any proper upgrade funds disappear without trace. The trip would involve a change of aircraft in DFW, assuming we fly American, which is the plan. The flights are pretty long so I wondered about a couple of nights stopover and started Googling for things to do and see. Up popped Billy Bob's, 'the biggest honkytonk in the world' and I started playing through the selection of albums recorded live at the venue. This got me back into one of my favourite musical genres, bar room rock and roll, only this time Texas style. I love Texas and back in the nineties we spent some time in Austen and San Antonio which both had vibrant music scenes, so a stopover in Fort Worth for a little rock and roll would be a hoot.

No system in the world beats the real thing, Dave! :cheers:

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
matt49 said:
James7 said:

davedotco said:

smiley-frown.gif

Mac

Yes, very - amazing to think a dealer would be in the business of selling such premium products and would not have looked over the basics of how the thing operates! I too would be interested in hearing hoe the digital section compares: does it have analogue line outs? I guess you would need to feed the analogue signal to an external amp to do a proper comparison. In a way though it is academic - the digital section is integral to the Dev sound and if the overall sound impresses perhaps it doesn't matter how inidividual sections are performing.

i too have heard the spotify rumour by the way. With its Air option and regular upgrading of software I wouldn't be surprised if Devialet is planning integrated streaming and later support for platforms like Spotify. It would fit with the philosophy. And a very good philosophy it is too in my opinion. Some might sneer at the low bitrates on offer but people like Spotify because it enables them to check out new music, etc, and why would anyone want to be limited to a second system or iPad to take advantage of this. If Devialet is planning on this I would suggest other high end brands would do well to take note.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
davedotco said:
I always think it is quite amazing what a new 'system' does to your musical interests, I always find myself playing and exploring different things and find it a very exiting time. Happens in other ways too, a month or two ago Mrs DDC announced that she was planning to take us on a whale watching trip around February, March time which once again saw any proper upgrade funds disappear without trace. The trip would involve a change of aircraft in DFW, assuming we fly American, which is the plan. The flights are pretty long so I wondered about a couple of nights stopover and started Googling for things to do and see. Up popped Billy Bob's, 'the biggest honkytonk in the world' and I started playing through the selection of albums recorded live at the venue. This got me back into one of my favourite musical genres, bar room rock and roll, only this time Texas style. I love Texas and back in the nineties we spent some time in Austen and San Antonio which both had vibrant music scenes, so a stopover in Fort Worth for a little rock and roll would be a hoot.

No system in the world beats the real thing, Dave! :cheers:

I spent much of my working life in the music business and ran a live sound production company from '76 through to early '82. Even when we were not touring, we were out every night, ligging, networking and just 'being in the mix'. Tough way to earn a living....... :rockout:

Probably explains my preferences for live recordings, musos always play better in front of an audience.

There was a bit of Joy Division playing in my (wierd and wacky) local on sunday so I had to look up this.

The Nashville in west Kensington, definitely there though to be honest I can't really remember the specific gig. They have a somewhat gloomy reputation but live I always found them strangely uplifting, still the case with the live recordings. This is one off the better ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uFAbldfhnE

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
James7 said:
Macspur said:
matt49 said:
James7 said:

davedotco said:

smiley-frown.gif

Mac

Yes, very - amazing to think a dealer would be in the business of selling such premium products and would not have looked over the basics of how the thing operates! I too would be interested in hearing hoe the digital section compares: does it have analogue line outs? I guess you would need to feed the analogue signal to an external amp to do a proper comparison. In a way though it is academic - the digital section is integral to the Dev sound and if the overall sound impresses perhaps it doesn't matter how inidividual sections are performing.

i too have heard the spotify rumour by the way. With its Air option and regular upgrading of software I wouldn't be surprised if Devialet is planning integrated streaming and later support for platforms like Spotify. It would fit with the philosophy. And a very good philosophy it is too in my opinion. Some might sneer at the low bitrates on offer but people like Spotify because it enables them to check out new music, etc, and why would anyone want to be limited to a second system or iPad to take advantage of this. If Devialet is planning on this I would suggest other high end brands would do well to take note.

At this moment my perfect system would be a Spotify setup, fully wired but controlled from an iPad that was simple in concept and as good as possible within the (possible) limits of the source.

Right now that would entail a modified Sonos driving either a pair of ADM9s or a decent inexpensive dac/head amp into Adam artist 6. In both cases I would add a sub if it was feasible. It would really be nice to know if a much better option was available.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
There was a bit of Joy Division playing in my (wierd and wacky) local on sunday so I had to look up this.

The Nashville in west Kensington, definitely there though to be honest I can't really remember the specific gig. They have a somewhat gloomy reputation but live I always found them strangely uplifting, still the case with the live recordings. This is one off the better ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uFAbldfhnE

No flash player on the hospital computers, so I'll check your link tonight!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
James7 said:
I too would be interested in hearing hoe the digital section compares: does it have analogue line outs? I guess you would need to feed the analogue signal to an external amp to do a proper comparison. In a way though it is academic - the digital section is integral to the Dev sound and if the overall sound impresses perhaps it doesn't matter how inidividual sections are performing.

My understanding is that the digital inputs can be reconfigured as variable or fixed-level pre-outs. One of my first tasks, now that I've got the beast running, is to work out how to configure a digital input to output direct to headphones. Apparently this is straightforward. :? You can also output to a headphone amp.

Matt

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
James7 said:
I too would be interested in hearing hoe the digital section compares: does it have analogue line outs? I guess you would need to feed the analogue signal to an external amp to do a proper comparison. In a way though it is academic - the digital section is integral to the Dev sound and if the overall sound impresses perhaps it doesn't matter how inidividual sections are performing.

My understanding is that the digital inputs can be reconfigured as variable or fixed-level pre-outs. One of my first tasks, now that I've got the beast running, is to work out how to configure a digital input to output direct to headphones. Apparently this is straightforward. :? You can also output to a headphone amp.

Matt

Extraordinary. Aside from sound quality, the more I learn about the Dev amps - their configurability, their user-friendliness ... - the more impressed I am. No wonder you and the Doc have chosen that path.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
At this moment my perfect system would be a Spotify setup, fully wired but controlled from an iPad that was simple in concept and as good as possible within the (possible) limits of the source.

Yes, totally see why you would say that - I listen only to Spotify and internet radio through my lounge system, via a Squeezebox Touch, although my more serious listening through my main system is from CD and SACD, and love both. So while I would want to hook a silver disc transport up to a Dev if I were lucky enough to own one, I would love the option of integrated Spotify, and internet radio access too.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Some quick and dirty initial impressions of the Dev after 24 hours of ownership.

It’s hard not to lapse into pretentious metaphors here. Bear with me. If I said the presentation was smooth, you’d know what I meant. Not the slightest hint of roughness anywhere. The complete absence of grit in the top end is remarkable. Even when pushed to the limits of my hearing’s tolerance, it’s utterly smooth.

And if I said it was sharp, i.e. percussive strikes cut like a razor (particularly noticeable in the higher register of the piano), again you’d find that pretty clear.

What this is leading up to is that the combination of smoothness and sharpness is extraordinary. It has the quality of (cue pretentious metaphor) a cut diamond. That’s the best I can do.

I’m also enjoying the long decays. In the wine business people talk about a wine’s length, how long the flavour lingers on the palate after the wine’s slipped down. 30 seconds is good. Two minutes is exceptional. Somehow with the Dev the decay of acoustic instruments remains audible for longer. I guess that may be something to do with the fact that the noise floor is so low.

OK, enough already.

Matt

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
D-day No. 2 is coming soon! If all is well, my (brandnew) Dev will arrive tomorrow! I hope my dealer makes it before noon, cos I have a meeting in the afternoon/evening. Fingers crossed (again)...

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
D-day No. 2 is coming soon! If all is well, my (brandnew) Dev will arrive tomorrow! I hope my dealer makes it before noon, cos I have a meeting in the afternoon/evening. Fingers crossed (again)...

That is most excellent. Christmas has come early. And good to hear your dealer has to some extent redeemed himself.

Matt

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:

Good news indeed!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts