Technical questions!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Sorry if I am being really stupid, but while spending what seems like a lifetime researching into my first hifi separates system, I keep reading that various cable upgrades can make a world of difference.

Firstly, for speaker cables, what is "bi-wire", and is it better than "ordinary" speaker cables?

Secondly, I note that some experts state that mains cables upgrades soften the sound while bog standard cables sometimes add excitement. (Sounds like CD vs vinal to me!)

Finally, which upgrade makes the most difference, speaker cables, interconnects or mains? Is it better to try one at a time or just jump in with all three?

Thanks again for all the help and advice!

A

Anonymous

If you really want to know the various opinions, spend a couple of hours trawling the archived posts on this forum and also the Accessories forum. If this is your first system, I would advise you to concentrate on the components you want, and not worry about about cabling too much. The rule of thumb seems to be to spend 10-15% of your budget on cables, so unless you're going really high end you won't be breaking yourself financially if you decide (after 6 months or so and really having got to know your new kit) to investigate a speaker cable upgrade for example. Just get some decent interconnects (e.g. about 30 quid each) some decent speaker cable (e.g. about 5 quid a metre for single wiring, I wouldn't worry about biwiring yet) and enjoy your new components. Use the mains cables which come with your components. If you want to get a mains block, get a £30 Tacima CS929 from Tandy which will give you surge protection at least.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Have a look here for all you could ever want to know about biwiring - and probably quite a lot more!

As for cable upgrades, I think I'll leave you to the mercy of the forums, as there are so many opinions on this. IMHO they all make a difference, but I'd concentrate on interconnects and decent speaker cables, with mains cables making the least difference.

No, not no difference, before the usual suspects jump in - just less than interconnects and speaker cables.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]I'd concentrate on interconnects and decent speaker cables, with mains cables making the least difference[/quote]

I agree. Sort out your interconnects and speaker cables first. You can always upgrade your mains cables at a later date.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="nicks"]Secondly, I note that some experts state that mains cables upgrades soften the sound while bog standard cables sometimes add excitement. (Sounds like CD vs vinal to me!)[/quote]

Once you get involved in that it gets anal and you've probably lost all interest in music. Enjoy

A

Anonymous

Bi-wiring is when you split the high frequencies and low frequencies up on the speaker connections so that there is no cross-contamination. This works like so:

AMPLIFIER OUTPUT LEFT ---------------------------------- SPEAKER LEFT HIGH
AMPLIFIER OUTPUT LEFT -----------------------------------SPEAKER LEFT LOW

AMPLIFIER OUTPUT RIGHT -----------------------------------SPEAKER RIGHT HIGH
AMPLIFIER OUTPUT RIGHT -----------------------------------SPEAKER RIGHT LOW

No special output is needed on the amplifier - any amplifier can bi-wire. You just connect the cable like normal. But when the wire reaches the speaker it splits into four sections compared to the normal two + and - . This new section comprises of +high +low -high -low frequencies and is connected just like normal. Speakers that have four connections on the back are bi-wirable, however not all are. Remember not to use both the speaker outputs on the back of your amplifier - i.e Speakers A and B to bi-wire unless stated by the amplifier manafacturer.

A

Anonymous

Once you have it all bi-wired try putting the links back on the speakers and listen again. You may be surprised.

TRENDING THREADS