tannoy revolution DC6t SE or q acoustics 2050i

suresh babu

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
dear friends,

planning to buy tower speakers for my marantz pm 6004 ... for this i have shortlisted 2 speakers,

1. Tannoy revolution DC6t SE

2. Q acoustics 2050i

both the speakers seems top rated with almost same size drives.. but price seems quite difference..

i am ready to buy even pricey Tannoy if sound quality better than q acoustices..

my preference is clear mid range and tonal balance..

i dont mind any build quality issues..

thank yu

suresh babu

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi Suresh,

Probably fairer comparing the Tannoy's to the new Q-Acoustics Concept 40 as both are around the same price (£1,000). I haven't heard them to offer my opinion though, but they should be pretty special if the Concept 20's are anything to go by.

jasabel

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I have Tannoys and Q-acoustics and I'd preffer ten times Tannoys, you may miss some bass, but you can cure with a good sub.

Those Tannoys are pure silk.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
jasabel said:
I have Tannoys and Q-acoustics and I'd preffer ten times Tannoys, you may miss some bass, but you can cure with a good sub.

Those Tannoys are pure silk.

Maybe my living room is a bit small (little over 20 m2), or maybe my DC6T's are too close to the wall (about 30 cm), but I would find it a waste of money to add a sub to these Tannoys. I am really quite fond of their abilities in the lower regions and as far as reviews go, I believe this has also been mentioned as a positive point of these speakers.

greycounciller

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the Q's partnered in my AV system and find they only really 'sing' when they are played loud. They are also very large depth wise meaning you'll need a lot of space to the rear to get them positioned. By contrast, a friend of mine has the Tannoys and they do sound better clarity and image wise. Bass depths is lighter, but the pro's do outweight the cons in this instance.

jasabel

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
That's exactly the point, the Q's only sound great alt loud volume, because at low volumes I get an "old radio sound", it seems that only the tweeter is excited and the woofers are too lazy to move, so there is a lack of sound of mids and low frecuencies. I am not sure that this can be cured with a very powerful Amp, but in my case I have them biamplified with my Yamaha AV (that are capable to move almost everything like my B&W805) and there is not real gain, or maybe there is but the outcome is not good enough.

However I have a pair of Tannoys DCT4 signature, that is not exactly the model mentioned here, and they make me cry even at low volumes, the revolutions DC6T are bigger and more bass capable.

The only issue of my DC4T Signatures is that they are a slim column and they don't have a base stand so the fell more than a docen times, but the DC6 do have a stand to prevent this.

jasabel

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I mentioned that my q-acoustics 2050i had an extremelly bad sound, and it was right, it WAS terribly bad.... until i found that there were 6 ohn and I learnt how to configure my AV Receiver to 6 ohm. When I did so, the speakers pop their wax out and started to sound quite brilliant, so much that I was playing with my music collection for hours, quite surpsised for the change.

I am used to do the wiring and I had never set impedadances before. As a matter of fact, for my Yamaha is not quite obvious, as you have to press two buttons on the front at the same time, and this configuration is not displayed in the menu. I had to read the manual and do the trick.

I was about to sell the speakers until I found that I had to set the Receiver to 6 Ohm.

Quite honestly I thoungt that this was not so important, but in my case when they were set to 8 Ohm the sound was really lousy.

I rushed to write this topic as I felt badly ruining a brilliant speaker reputation because of a misconfiguration.

I expect this help.

SoundGuy

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Maybe a bit outdated but i got a pair of 2050is with a naim uniti2 and they sing! You have to give them a good runout, though.

I think for the money you cannot do it better...

Cheers!

SG

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Anyone heard or have the Tannoys and can tell if there is any port noise? Im maybe upgrading to these from my Jbl studio 290 that are free from port noise issues. Please play Hans zimmer-underground army at high volume and the first second theres a bass slam,it will test the bassports.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts