Q Acoustics BT3 Review

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Vladimir said:
I strongly believe in the "Love at first listen" principle and don't believe in burning in longer than 30min for transducers and few seconds for electronics. GB, your reaction was not good at first listen, however you may have not had the optimal settings with the inputs and that isn't a minor thing like swapping DAC chips and wires would be. So if you like them after all is set, you like em bb. It's meant to be. But don't get used to their flaws, they will bother you even if you think they wont. IMO "Burning in" is a salesman's trick and nothing more.

You're not wrong there.

Initial impressions are usually correct.

In this case the question may be how much more does something better cost. As we all know to well, this hobby can be a bottomless pit.

It doesn't really matter if the OP can't up with the foibles though.

It's not a tragedy regardless of outcome at this price point. The Mojo DAC costs more than the actual speakers (including the amplification), so... :)

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I discoved that I still had some EQ on the bass. After turning it off, I found the BT3 sounding a little bass light when listening close up. Yet simply moving back to about 1m and the bass fills out properly.

I don't know if it's part of the design of the speakers, and others would be full close up. Looking elsewhere could be fruitless. However they are still livable with close up. My Grado are a fraction bass light so I am used to it. When I sit further back from the BT3 they fill out. There's a low bass warmth and thud to be heard.

To recap though sitting further back, the bass is as What Hi-Fi say, being a little soft at the edges. When I'm expecting a kind of clean tight punch, I get more slightly more whoomf when sitting back. Up close it's cleaner and punchier but lighter.

Anyway my new cable will be here within two days and probably tomorrow. If that cleans up the bass then all is well. All I can say right now is that while I am still a little unsure, I am leaning more toward keeping them. They serve a purpose. While I appreciate all is not mega quality, I am totally pleased to have decent music.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I bought the QED Reference Audio J2P and it's been playing for about an hour and a half now. It makes a nice change to the BT3 performance. Initially I plugged it in I thought OK do an A-B test. Then I thought I can't be bothered. I have just let it play since.

It provides the BT3 with some of the life that I was aching for. I mean they were OK with the original £2 cable. However the J2P adds layering from front to back, instead of a flatter confusing sound. It clears up all the noisy stuff like cymbals; putting them in place and cleaning their sound. I have heard already a couple of noises I could not make out before. Other sounds that I concentrated on before are now easier to follow. It makes music that I liked before, more likable. It's a more relaxing listen. It is also capable of rooting me to the spot, making me not want to move.

Adding the Chord Hugo would be great.

It moves the BT3 into clear keeper territory. However there are pros and cons:

The main con is that bass is still that bit too soft. I want to hear more punch and string vibration. The Q Acoustics 3020 would probably still outshine them, or even the Concept 20. Having a slightly small sound stage could be both a pro and a con. It's also difficult to criticise the soundstage because I have a monitor sat between them and four inches forward.

The main pro is outright convenience. The slightly smaller soundstage could a pro because it means I not it's not projected behind me. Whereas the soundstage of the 3020 is meant to be huge. Much could be happening behind me, and I might personally interfere with the image, as I'd be sitting in it.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
This QED Reference Audio J2P is stiff and mean I need about five inches behind the speaker for it. It sticks straight out of the back. Luckily where my desk is, there is some space. If it was hard up against a wall, it would completely mean moving the speakers forward.

@drummerman, Thank you for the idea. Maybe I should but I don't know what to try for. I think the option of Onkyo A9010 and Q Acoustics 3020 is about the only choice. I have no doubt that speaker amp combo would be beautiful. It still leaves me with the problem of where to put the amp. It won't go on my desk. Under the desk would mean losing one side of chair movement under the desk. It could be done but I think the loss of under desk space might be too much. An amp even turned sideways measures 33.25cm. Then add to that cabling. It means I would lose about 45cm under desk space at one side. That would be within about 3cm from where my chair is currently. (Of course going separates would leave me the option of going bonkers and buying Q Acoustics Concept 20. Richer sounds do speaker amp bundles, and as I guess Peter Tyson and Nintronics do too.)

Link of the Onkyo amp manual: http://www.uk.onkyo.com/downloads/2/7/9/0/0/ONKYO_A-9010_datasheet_UK_Version.pdf

Meanwhile the bass softness with this set up seems to have improved, as this cable beds in. I might be imagining it, however I hear so little which ticks me off at the moment. Currently playing Dido - Life for Rent album. (No doubt I will hear some woomfy bass again sometime.) This QED cable has made much change. Highs like when cymbals really get going in Def Leppard - Hysteria are now quite listenable. Whereas before they were messy.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Try this test disc: The Sheffield Lab Drum & Track Disc (2000), use tracks by Ron Tutt and Jim Keltner. It's available both on Spotify and Tidal. It will tell you straight how punchy and fast the LF transients are.

CLIM_005__11592__01152009112751-1905.jpg

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I once read an interesting article when one of the mags interviewed Magico (Speakers). In their opinion a wooden box is both old fashioned and low tech but a cheap, easy solution (Sonus Faber may disagree).

Anyway, they (Magico) measured by how how many Nm the average (?) screw used in wooden box speakers loosen themselves after only a short period of use (Don't ask me). I guess they would say that making some of the most involved, heavy (and expensive) aluminium chassis speakers.

You could try to fasten the screws holding the little drivers carefully.

This may give you another smidgen of bass tightness.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
@Vladimir, I will check out that drum quality demo tonight. I have been wondering about a reference quality audio recording. I wanted to determine how my Meridian Explorer + BT3 or SR225e, are really pairing. I am no fan on iTunes but I will try to navigate it for that drumming demo.

@drummerman, yeah I can't get at the drivers anyway because the grills are fixed.

I tink the next step it to get some Chord Clearway to connect the master and slave speaker. That will help. However I can't get inside the master speaker to add some short lengths of cable. Difficult to explain. The cable that connects the master to slave is just some general black budget cable. I suspect that inside the master speaker, the cable that connect amp to outputs is cheap cable. I would like to recable that. However I would void my Amazon one year warranty and my two year Q Acoustics warranty.

Over-all though the QED interconnect 3.5mm to RCA has made a clear difference. The BT3 have pretty much parked themselves on my desk now.

More detail from the QED cable allows for better low volume level listening. I can comfortably have an easy volume, being sat one metre from them. Whereas with the cheap cable I sometimes itched for more volume to try to get detail. I currently have Melissa Etheridge's first album on and it's chuntering away nice and quietly, making great noises. The album is delivered well.

I won't deny that I ache for more, and better kit. However I can add the Chord Mojo. I wonder if that would make the BT3 seriously something. I have to add though that these BT3 are now really good.

Effectively though I have until 31st January to make up my mind and I am still free to return them. Meaning I could get something else but this will take some beating at the price. There's no point looking at the Ruark Audio MR1 now, or possibly even the Kef Egg. A change would have to be something stunning in active speakers or a slimline amp and speakers.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If you are brave enough you can try my setup (JBL LSR305 + Lexicon Alpha + Van Damme Blue XLR > TRS balanced cable). They are definitely not lacking punch and purrring double bass. I spent 290 quid for all and they should be cheaper in the UK.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Green Bow said:
@Vladimir, I will check out that drum quality demo tonight. I have been wondering about a reference quality audio recording. I wanted to determine how my Meridian Explorer + BT3 or SR225e, are really pairing. I am no fan on iTunes but I will try to navigate it for that drumming demo.

@drummerman, yeah I can't get at the drivers anyway because the grills are fixed.

I tink the next step it to get some Chord Clearway to connect the master and slave speaker. That will help. However I can't get inside the master speaker to add some short lengths of cable. Difficult to explain. The cable that connects the master to slave is just some general black budget cable. I suspect that inside the master speaker, the cable that connect amp to outputs is cheap cable. I would like to recable that. However I would void my Amazon one year warranty and my two year Q Acoustics warranty.

Over-all though the QED interconnect 3.5mm to RCA has made a clear difference. The BT3 have pretty much parked themselves on my desk now.

More detail from the QED cable allows for better low volume level listening. I can comfortably have an easy volume, being sat one metre from them. Whereas with the cheap cable I sometimes itched for more volume to try to get detail. I currently have Melissa Etheridge's first album on and it's chuntering away nice and quietly, making great noises. The album is delivered well.

I won't deny that I ache for more, and better kit. However I can add the Chord Mojo. I wonder if that would make the BT3 seriously something. I have to add though that these BT3 are now really good.

Effectively though I have until 31st January to make up my mind and I am still free to return them. Meaning I could get something else but this will take some beating at the price. There's no point looking at the Ruark Audio MR1 now, or possibly even the Kef Egg. A change would have to be something stunning in active speakers or a slimline amp and speakers.

The speaker grills do come off. A (very good) german review mentiones that it is a bit of a fiddle but they are removable (with pictures of the 'naked' front to prove it).

It wouldn't make a 'night'n day' difference but having the bass/mid driver affixed firmly can't make things worse.

For the price you've paid they read like very good buys. Most customers of such all-in-one solutions won't be as critical as you but you could try Vladimirs active desktop system as a price comparable alternative which may give you what you want.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I have found that the BT3 now do respond to EQ-ing at 31Hz. There is some energy there but not as much as higher up. Nice to know though. I discoved this a little while ago. I think as the bass filled out in burn-in they now reach deeper. They were very bass light initally.

Since getting the QED interconnect the BT3 are better, and fairly substantially. I'd know for some time the importance of good cables. However I had forgotten how poor cheap cables behave.

I have been thinking more and more about the bass. I really don't feel it's an issue for quantity. It performs well and is better with the QED cable. It's not that QED added quantity. It's just cleared up image low to high. I was re-reading the What Hi-Fi review of the BT3. They said, quote,
"The bass itself is quite quick and precise, although perhaps a little more rounded at the edges than from some bookshelf speakers at around the same price."
Read more at http://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/q-bt3/review#BWrQ6u2lxIzzqF3h.99 However I struggle to understand what they mean by rounded. Maybe they mean not quite focused. When I select double bass playing, like Cold Cold Heart - Norah Jones, it seems fine. (The track, Come Away With Me has double bass too.) I think it could be a little more exciting. Or maybe it's just a little soft compared to the rest of the mix. Or maybe it's something else What Hi-Fi think. They suggest the mid-range might have been tweaked for easy listeing and TV listening for vocals. Maybe leaving the bass off a touch. I usually think it sounds fine though. Anyway I think the BT3 are doing OK. I think if I add the Chord Mojo they will be doing as good as they can. I certainly have the enthusiasm for Q Acoustics from this experience. I have been having thoughts about buying something else. I know it;s perfectly within my rights to return the BT3 and say thankyou. However I always feel a little uncomfortable or cheeky doing that, though I should not. The time I have had with the BT3 has been great. I may also feel sad and regret to see them go. They have been barely touched and handled with cotton wool gloves. Returning them though would probaly mean compromise and a separate amplifier.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Time to make your mind up :)

The BT3 are tiny!

They will have high bass driver and port distortion at higher volume. You can't cheat physics (unless you are Devialet).

This is also the reason why they have a sub out.

Incidentally the same will go for any small speaker, active, powered or passive.

Small drivers suffer much higher distortion at low frequencies than larger ones.

Having read all of your comments and impressions I think you have never been 100% happy with them. Send them back while you can but be prepared to spend more to achieve what you want. Perhaps even sell the Mojo and invest the money in a better active, powered or separate amp/speaker.

One example would be a second hand cyrus 7 or 8vs (2) and perhaps a pair of Amphion Heliums.

This would probably make a supreme and small set up, giving you superior detail and volume but the same still applies to bass. Alternatively try some Adam actives ...

Good luck

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Time to make your mind up :)

The BT3 are tiny!

They will have high bass driver and port distortion at higher volume. You can't cheat physics (unless you are Devialet).

This is also the reason why they have a sub out.

Incidentally the same will go for any small speaker, active, powered or passive.

Small drivers suffer much higher distortion at low frequencies than larger ones.

Having read all of your comments and impressions I think you have never been 100% happy with them. Send them back while you can but be prepared to spend more to achieve what you want. Perhaps even sell the Mojo and invest the money in a better active, powered or separate amp/speaker.

One example would be a second hand cyrus 7 or 8vs (2) and perhaps a pair of Amphion Heliums.

This would probably make a supreme and small set up, giving you superior detail and volume but the same still applies to bass. Alternatively try some Adam actives ...

Good luck

I think it's not about the speakers. The man loves tweaking. Can't blame him, I like it too. :)

Actives are utter and complete boredom. There is nothing to do except listen to music. *boredom*

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Actually, all items purchased from Amazon during November and December of 2015 have a long return time. They can be returned up to 31st January 2016. I could spend a little more time with the BT3. They do make really good desktop speakers.

(My Chord Mojo can be returned too as I bought that from Amazon during this time period. Although I would rather use it. *I think I explianed all it's foibles earlier on in this thread. I was especially explanitory for you 'drummerman' as you'd expressed interest in it. My main concerns now are it suffering cut out when charging and playing at the same time. A few do. It's designed to since charging creates heat, and it has thermal cut outs. Secondly whining or humming while charging as it would be used in desktop mode. Some do. Earlier ones can be repaired because of a regulator issue. (?!?))

Even the aspect that the BT3 lose bass when sitting close up is livable with. This would probably affect all speakers too. Sitting back from them and the bass fills out; boom.

I like the idea of the slimline amp that drummerman pointed out. Cyrus though, expenseeeve.

If I really put my finger on the BT3 Meridian Explorer (ME) combination it's this. (The ME's timing.) The ME was never that fast however it feels faster with pacier Grado SR225e, and soars higher. If I use the Mojo, that will speed up the BT3 I think...Another loudspeaker could be chosen for more speed. ....Then, What Hi-Fi think the BT3 was tweaked in the mid-range. I would prefer just a plain balanced loudspeaker. ...That all sounds harsh though when you simply sit back and take in the music. Yes the BT3/ME lets go here and there but, it's fine. PC gaming is pretty much perfect. DVD is ace.

@Valdimir, yeh maybe I should jump in and get that Chord Clearway bought. I would use a 2M piece anyway on whatever I had, I think. Unless I went back to headphones only. Shame I can't open the amplified speaker and re-wire its connections with some Clearway too. (Or some even more exotic speaker cable.)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I opened mine. I don't care about warranty at this price level.

The bigger brothers of these LSR305 have a heatsink on the bigger chip amp (possibly dual chips). I added copper heatsinks on mine since I never turn these speakers off, they play all day, every day.

1131404-2.jpg

Power-duration-for-heatsink-free-design.jpg

Extending-power-duration-by-adding-small-heatsink.jpg

Source

The set came with an extra single small aluminium heatsink, so I added that one on the DAC voltage regulator IC (since the DAC is USB powered).

md5Pr9ReFm1nqFRC1ivgi3g.jpg

This is my version of swapping wires. *crazy*

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Absolutely. I have a heasink here ready to go and I think it might be the difinitive solution. I mentioned it over on the Head Fi Official Mojo Thread. Plus I put it in my Mojo Issues Solutions thread. Post 27 http://www.head-fi.org/t/788913/chord-mojo-issue-solutions-thread/15 (Plus there are heatinks available at Maplin.)

The cause of the heat is the battery charging. Chord used a lithium ploymer battery for high current to drive high impedance headphones. The battery is thermally bonded to the case. It's postioned centrally under the top cover of the Mojo. Therefor a thermal pad on the case and a heatsink on top would cool it quite a bit. (Strap it all on with strong rubber banding.) The question is whether it would get through a hot summer. Then again I could add a fan across the heatsink, and even run that from a 5V USB port.

@drummerman, nope not yet. The Mojo is still sealed. I was thinking carefully about it and letting time decide what to do; but basically I am stuck - confused. I think it would tidy up lots though. Like where the Meridian Explorer lets go etc, and becomes distorted or sibilant. The ME or the recording breaks down occasionally. I think it's an issue common with DACS. I read that some DACs do much better with tricky stuff. Examples that I have found are: Barbara Streisand - People, Emeli Sande - My Kind of Love, Hawkwind - The Psychedelic Warlords.

PS I need to edit substantially my opening review now the bass filled out after burn-in.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Here is a test that confirms the Mojo output is too powerful to be used as a line level DAC. Turn the volume with small incriments and preferably less than half way. Use more gain on the speakers. Should be fine, though not ideal.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I translated that page and scrolled and found the reading about line-level. That of course is may last remaining concern about the Mojo. Getting line-level out to 2V rms is not an exact science. Head-Fi Mojo users told me set it to line-level and click down about four button presses on volume. (I am surprised that suggests only twelve button presses from 0V to 3V rms.) I have to admit, it is nice seeing agrrement with my ideas. Thank you Vladimir. That was a good find.

Plus I will one day plug my headphones in forgetting. Hopefully it will only blow my headphones and not my ears too.

Anyway I did raise the concerns about 3V rms line-level with Chord. Tow posts here from the Mojo Official Thread show answers about this from Chord.

1. Post 7455 on page 497. http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/7440#post_12187743

2. This is the important post. Post 751 on page 501. http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/7500#post_12190175

Basically they say 3V rms is output from all their DACs. The Mojo of course can have it's level out changed. I have asked for indication of what 2V rms will look like. What I mean is, the Mojo volume buttons change colour with every volume change. I.E. a colour chart of volume colour = V rms out would be useful. I asked if someone would provide that but no-one yet has done it yet. I would have expected Chord to have happily done it. I read the Official Mojo Thread every day and I have not seen it yet.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
You can play a 1kHz signal (free download a tone generator) and measure the output of the Mojo with a DC true RMS digital multimeter. Set things to 1.8Vrms or 2Vrms and it should work OK I think.

I can recommend a good inexpensive accurate multimeter (AC+DC True RMS) - Uni-T UT61E. Every tweaker should have a decent DMM.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
You can play a 1kHz signal (free download a tone generator) and measure the output of the Mojo with a DC true RMS digital multimeter. Set things to 1.8Vrms or 2Vrms and it should work OK I think.

I have a multimeter. I can work out peak voltage with rms voltage. Or I could ask Chord again to do it.

The plus points of the Mojo are very storng too by the way. It's sound quality obviously. It can be used away from desktop with a file player like a phone with headphones.

The battery charging heat issue will also not be constant. People use them in hi-fi equipment leaving them plugged in. It's just some do cut out.

The charging curcuit however is clever. This is Rob Watts's (the Mojo's designer) description of how the charging curcuit works, quote,

"Just to clarify. Charging is automatic. If you are playing and charging at the same time, with a fully charged battery, the charger will supply enough current to balance the consumption used by Mojo, so no net current into the battery. If its fully charged and the unit is off, the charger will go off. The charger will re charge automatically when the battery voltage falls to 8.2v (off at 8.4v) so keeping the charger connected will ensure a full charge."

Therefor once full charge is reached, until the battery drains a little, charging is off. You can see the post Rob Watts made by number but I don't have the page number handy. Post 4596 on the Head-Fi Official Mojo Thread.

I have to say thank you though. You two talking about the Mojo is giving me some encouragement to open it. I bought mine early after realease. Some early models have a funny regulator that makes a noise when charging. In other words I can return easy if it has that issue. Some later models can make a noise also though.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I'd find the battery charging voltage regulator in there and stick the biggest heatsink that fits. Voila, Chord Mojo GT.

Chord Mojo GT, hahaha. (I tried to add a laughing icon here but it won't work.)

I have been thinking that I should throw caution to the wind and open the Mojo. Just try to be careful when plugging in headphones, and watch volume voltage out. It's plus point of being tiny fits neatly with my desktop lifestyle. The alternative Audiolab M-DAC is actually quite big.

@drummerman, yeh the BT3 are tiny-ish. They are great though. I find the whole size thing ideal.

The 3020 are a fraction bigger, and I could live with that. I think I could live with a little bigger still. However the next current What Hi-Fi award winner, the Monitor Audio Bronze 2, would be too big I think. Height is OK I suppose, and I recall what Vladimir said about getting the speakers head height. Width and depth are tricky though. The BT3 are about 23cm back to front including connectors on the back.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I have been thinking more about soundstage and I might be better startig a new thread about it. The BT3 soundstage seems to work with the speakers close together. I believe nativley they would be set a little wider apart for a TV or as a hi-fi piece.

Their sound stage is fairly small but large considering where they are positioned. It doesn't feel dissappointing and is at least twice the height of the speakers.

What I have been wondering though is whether other more advanced speakers' soundstage would work so close together. I wonder if e.g. a sound in the right speaker which moves to the left of the stage. Could it possibly go beyond the left speaker. Could the image be far too big for a small width between speakers.

@Vladimir, I looked at teh drum stuff on iTunes. Costs money, so I left it for now. However I noticed some amazing drumming and drum sounstage placement on Sacred Spirit - Chants and Dances of Native Americans. I was listening to it sat way back and off to one side. I could see the positions of the drums clearly withing the stage.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I have been thinking more about soundstage and I might be better starting a new thread about it. The BT3 soundstage seems to work with the speakers close together. I believe nativley they would be set a little wider apart for a TV or as a hi-fi piece.

Their sound stage is fairly small but large considering where they are positioned. It doesn't feel dissappointing and is at least twice the height of the speakers.

What I have been wondering though is whether other more advanced speakers' soundstage would work so close together. I wonder if e.g. a sound in the right speaker which moves to the left of the stage. Could it possibly go beyond the left speaker. Could the image be far too big for a small width between speakers.

@Vladimir, I looked at the drum stuff on iTunes. Costs money, so I left it for now. However I noticed some amazing drumming and drum sounstage placement on Sacred Spirit - Chants and Dances of Native Americans. I was listening to it sat way back and off to one side. I could see the positions of the drums clearly withing the stage.

TRENDING THREADS