Q Acoustics BT3 Review

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Looks like no loudness compression applied to that album, which makes it better for tests (compare that to Dido). It would be even better if it doesn't have too much production effects. The Sheffield Lab Drum Track is just a clean drum recording and nothing else.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
If you buy that CD from Amazon and download it to Amazon Music Player, you get extras. There is a second album's worth of MP3 tracks. Only tracks 1, 2, 3, and 5, are good, but they are excellent. They are remixes of the tracks on the original album. They're made into dance type tracks. Good percussion, though I suspect all synthetic.

Very highly recommendable album. If I am not mistaken they made some more albums and I need to get them checked out.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I think it's worth adding the following to anyone wondering about buying the BT3. If I paid £209 and bought the QED cable, I would have been extatic with the BT3.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Over on the Head-fi Chord Mojo Official Thread I had the answer from two of the Chord engineers about 2V rms.

Here from Rob Watts (Mojo designer) post 8201 on page 547.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/8190#post_12214124

He said, quote, "Yes 4 clicks down will set it too 1.9v (both balls indigo). Each step is always a 1 dB change".

In other words start the Mojo. Within two seconds press both volume buttons. That sets it to 3V rms. Click down volume four clicks and it will be at 2V rms.

Mojo Ideas, real name John Franks (another Chord engineer on the Head-fi forum) made post 8231 on page 549. He answered set it to about double blue, meaning the colour the volume buttons are at specific voltage setting.

Difinitive answer then.

I am so tempted to go ahead and open the Mojo now.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Green Bow said:
Over on the Head-fi Chord Mojo Official Thread I had the answer from two of the Chord engineers about 2V rms.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-re...

He said, quote, "Yes 4 clicks down will set it too 1.9v (both balls indigo). Each step is always a 1 dB change".

In other words start the Mojo. Within two seconds press both volume buttons. That sets it to 3V rms. Click down volume four clicks and it will be at 2V rms.

Mojo Ideas, real name John Franks (another Chord engineer on the Head-fi forum) made post 8231 on page 549. He answered set it to about double blue, meaning the colour the volume buttons are at specific voltage setting.

Difinitive answer then.

What is the point ordering the product and then not trying it ... ?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Green Bow said:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-re...

Difinitive answer then.

What is the point ordering the product and then not trying it ... ?

I wonder this myself. I would have opened it in front of the courier.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Anyway if I missed it, here's the reason. I bought it quite impulsively because I bought the Novemberish Awards 2015 copy of What Hi-Fi. After reading the review I knew I wanted one; a Chord for £400.

In the meantime (before it was delivered) I started googling about the Mojo, and started reading about issues. It became apparent that it might not function my purpose so left it sealed. (E.g. cutting out when charging and playing is a point blank dealbreaker. Working through all the Mojo issues how I came up with idea of a heatsink to solve one problem. I think I will have to buy JRiver too.)

I added the last post for you I suppose drummerman since you mentioned an interest. I kept you up to date with the very latest info. Vladimir had been trying to do his best to help me through my unsurity. Hence I felt it polite to tell him what I now learnt.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Green Bow said:
Anyway if I missed it, here's the reason. I bought it quite impulsively because I bought the Novemberish Awards 2015 copy of What Hi-Fi. After reading the review I knew I wanted one; a Chord for £400.

In the meantime (before it was delivered) I started googling about the Mojo, and started reading about issues. It became apparent that it might not function my purpose so left it sealed. (E.g. cutting out when charging and playing is a point blank dealbreaker. Working through all the Mojo issues how I came up with idea of a heatsink to solve one problem. I think I will have to buy JRiver too.)

I added the last post for you I suppose drummerman since you mentioned an interest. I kept you up to date with the very latest info. Vladimir had been trying to do his best to help me through my unsurity. Hence I felt it polite to tell him what I now learnt.

Understand and appreciated but you have a right to return if is not fit for purpose. There are other owners on here and I don't think I have heard anything negative yet.

Open the damn thing, it may not be as bad as you think. It may be brilliant :)

C'mon ... its Sunday ... its raining ... d o i t

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If you are keeping the BT3 just open the Mojo and have some fun. But if you are returning those, don't take a chance of liking the Mojo and just combine the speakers and DAC money and get better active speakers or speakers + separate amp.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
The Mojo may be overkill for the BT3. However the BT3 are quite surprising. Since this QED cable was added to the pairing with the Meridian Explorer, the BT3 surprise me every day. Depending on music and recording they sound new every day.

The Mojo paired with the BT3 would not be a complete waste though. It would still be a reference headphone amp, and make the BT3 sound better. It's portable so I can move it when I want to listen elsewhere, (Unlike a desktop DAC.) It would make sense either sooner or later though, to have a better speakers on the end of the Mojo.

I started another thread because I was wondering how better speakers with a bigger soundstage would perfom on a desktop.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/distance-between-speakers-and-soundstage-puzzle

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Green Bow said:
The Mojo may be overkill for the BT3. However the BT3 are quite surprising. Since this QED cable was added to the pairing with the Meridian Explorer, the BT3 surprise me every day. Depending on music and recording they sound new every day.

The Mojo paired with the BT3 would not be a complete waste though. It would still be a reference headphone amp, and make the BT3 sound better. It's portable so I can move it when I want to listen elsewhere, (Unlike a desktop DAC.) It would make sense either sooner or later though, to have a better speakers on the end of the Mojo.

I started another thread because I was wondering how better speakers with a bigger soundstage would perfom on a desktop.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/distance-between-speakers-and-sounds...

oh, is that what you are getting at. Keep in mind that if you are listening at the desk, near field as it were, you don't need the speakers very far apart to create a worthwhile soundstage. I sit less than a metre from a pair of Adam A7X, but the soundstage is as good as if I were 3 metres away with the speakers much further apart.

It's more to do with the angles of the triangle formed between you and the two speakers, although room to the side and rear of the speakers helps with the illusion of depth.

Oh, and open the effing Mojo *diablo*

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Yes that is what I was wondering ID. Thank you for asking. I was thinking that the BT3 soundstage would be bested if I changed my mind and bought separate speakers. Something like the Q Acoustics Concept 20 are reputed to have a huge soundstage. I wondered how they or the 3020 might work, if close together. I think they will work though.

@drummerman. One thing I kept meaning to mention but waited to be sure. Since I bought the quality QED cable, the BT3 don't sound liek the boxes anymore. Previously, with the old cable, as we discussed, now and again they sounded supiciously like the boxes.

I know there is always debate about cable quality and I can understand the discussion over digital cables. However I can assure anyone, analogue cables make all teh difference in the world. The BT3 are about 35% better with the quality cable.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I was reading this review of the Arcam A19 FMJ. Read more at http://www.whathifi.com/arcam/fmj-a19/review#OptuKdbBEjGikmvP.99

It says:

Regarding the phono stage and the headphone output – both are capable performers that retain the characteristics of the A19’s overall sound.

There’s a touch more bite and attack when listening through headphones as you’re physically closer to the music, but it’s not sharp on the ears and the Arcam’s stability will withstand long-term listening.

I was not aware of this component of headphone listening.

Tha touch more bite and attack is what I was saying previously that my headphones had. Compared to the BT3 I mean. The good news always was however since getting the QED cable the BT3 have been great. (I can't emphasise what a change that cable made.) Comparing BT3 to SR225e they are both great but a slightly different sound. However I had no preference for either sound. The speakers are a bit slower I think now, but it's outweighed by the good soundstage and performance.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
We love a happy ending :)

Well, to be fair you did warn him not to compare the Grados to the BT3s. When I switched from the AKG K702 to the JBL LSR305, the 305s sounded bass heavy like vintage 12". But when I compared them to my floorstanders they immediately felt fast, punchy and tight.

But happy ending is what is most important. *drinks*

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I was however googling the Arcam A19 FMJ because I was still having last considerations for separates. The A19 has a slim-line profile back to front. It's overkill but I could live with that. However I couldn't get around the speaker matching it needs. It seems to require energetic fiesty speakers to maximise its potential. Whereas I think the Q Acoustics I was looking at like the 3020 or even Concept 20 are more refined and detailed.

All in all, I think there is more to be gained from the BT3 with good speaker cabling. A separates system seems to elude me. I did however re-take on on board what Vladimir said about speakers needing space round them, (from another thread). I think my PC which lives on my desk should go under it. That would leave room for an amplifier on the desktop. It could only just be a low profile and narrow depth type like the Arcam. Or the Cyrus that drummerman mentioned. I was thinking Rega Brio-R but they want as much used as they were new on ebay.

The BT3 do a fantastic job. Music is good and PC gaming is excellent. With the soundstage filling the spacve between me and the monitor/speakers, character footsteps sound within real space. Rain sounds completely atmospheric. Good speaker cables should improve the soundstage more, since the Q Acoustics provided cable is cheap black stuff. I bet it's the same in the master speaker.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Mojo playng now. Unfortunately I got a faulty one so it needs to go back. I intend to listen to it for a while and see if it runs-in. I think it did some already. I think one feature of the Mojo is that it is less smooth than the very smooth Meridian Explorer. It speeds up the BT3 performance a bit. The BT3 like the Mojo.

I hear stuff that was clearly there in the mix with the Meridian Explorer, however I just never noticed. How is that even possible? I think it's something to do with the better clarity and detail, mixed with a more energetic soundstage. However my initial A-B testing between the Mojo and ME, there is not a vast amount in it. Neither is it dissappointing going back to the ME. I guess it's because my other listening equipment is not top deck like other Mojo users. I have SR225e, whereas many Mojo users are Sennheiser HD800 or Shure SE846 users. The ME hs a little strength in tone over the Mojo. (The Meridian Explorer has that Meridian house sound of deep rich tones.) The Mojo is close though and bests the ME in every other respect. Again though not by as much as you'd think, but my kit is not the best.

This Mojo has to be sent back. There is no question. I do not know if I will get another. I think I could achieve some considerable gains in detail and soundspacing just with proper speaker cable. The BT3 are woefully let down with this cheap £0.50/meter stuff. Chord Clearway is know for clarity and detail. It will be fun to hear the ME with the BT3 then.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Good thing you opened it. Now you know what to expect. Just a shame it had a problem so play time has to be delayed untill the new one arrives.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I decided to take advantage of being able to audition the Mojo while I have time. Menaing I will be able to decide if I really want one more than the Meridian Explorer. I was initially A-B comparing the two DACs. However initially I thought the Mojo sounded dry and a bit harsh with the extra details. Since then I have settled and only run the Mojo. Listening to it alone allows me to hear music I knew well, starting to perform differently. I read someone say the Mojo changes after about two days, and it seems to have done for me. I should let it run a couple more days. Then I will switch back to the Meridian.

One of the initial problem I had with it was the increase volume button stuck. I had to power off quickly. That stopped happening completey after a day-and-a-half. Then it did something wierd a few times. As I was just gently testing both volume buttons, sound just stopped. I had to power off and on again. Happened maybe three times. That problem then stopped happening all within half-an-hour.

I have other faults but have just been changing cables in order to see if they are causing issues.

It's sound really can be extraordinary though. The 3D thing is real.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
The BT3 still need the speaker cabling. However they sound really lovely with the Mojo. There isn't a vast chasm off difference. However the Mojo sounds more sorted. The Meridian Explorer sounds a little richer, but slightly less focused. However it's really impossible to hear the real difference because my audio kit isn't good enough to make the Mojo shine.

My findings follow what What Hi-Fi say about the Chord Hugo and Hugo TT. Other DACs sound move solid and weighty, but the Chord is ahead in detail. It's the detail that helps with positioning too.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I was thinking about a post Vladimir made where he said forget DAC and digital input on active speakers.

The first choice for me would have been the Dynaudio MC-15. They are just that, with no digital on board. That is how I would have preferred it since I like my DAC separate and upgradable. However those MC-15 speakers are as rare as hen's teeth. Thus I had to compromise. I get another spare DAC wit the BT3 I suppose.

I think the second hand AVI ADM 9.1 that I saw were the right choice. Never mind though because I am happy with the BT3. Nifty little Q Acoustics.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Now I'm on vacation from listening to hardware and just listening to music. The Alpha audio interface I'm using has a Cirrus-Logic 24/192 capable chip but Lexicon thought setting the unit to 24/48 was good enough. I use it at 16/44.1. I know it's transparent, neutral, clean and it's not performance/price aspirational, so it wont make me listen to it instead of the music. Good enough for me.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Now I'm on vacation from listening to hardware and just listening to music. The Alpha audio interface I'm using has a Cirrus-Logic 24/192 capable chip but Lexicon thought setting the unit to 24/48 was good enough. I use it at 16/44.1. I know it's transparent, neutral, clean and it's not performance/price aspirational, so it wont make me listen to it instead of the music. Good enough for me.

Good post.

Nothing more distracting than constantly listening out for system weaknesses, buyers regret etc etc

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Well, the AVI's are a completely different animal altogether. I don't even know where to start ...

... bigger (substantially), active (as opposed to powered), not wireless (though that can be added at next to nothing these days) and much more expensive.

The Pro's of the ADM are just as manifold and have been documented numerously.

I wouldn't use the BT3 in a large room for high volumes (though they have been tested to reasonably do that) and I certainly wouldn't plonk the ADM's on a desk either.

Horses for courses and there is nothing to prevent you from getting a pair (ADM's) in the future to have the best of both worlds.

In addition, you got a personal 'hellu' from S Reichert, PR man of Armour, to welcome you to the hords that have discovered Q Acoustics.

Mind, Ashley James of AVI will no doubt do the same once you get one of his products. He doesn't even mind if you buy second hand, nice bloke he is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts