Surge protectors vs mains conditioners vs house Twin-and-Earth

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Mornin all. Now before I start (and I can see there is a post similar to this, but centred around amps, so bear with me), I'm hoping for some opinions / experiences, not an all out flaming session. Ok, here goes. Having read quite a lot of comments about aftermarket mains leads and the like, I would like to ask the following question: Do aftermarket mains leads make any difference without a mains conditioner? My thoughts go along this line. If you plug decent mains cables into an already interference-prone supply (i.e. the twin-and-earth that runs around my house, acting like quite a good antenna) are you going to get any real benefit? I can understand the thinking that if you use a mains conditioner/cleaner and then decent (shielded?) cables from it to your equipment, then what is clean stays clean, but am unsure if these cables can have any cleaning effect themselves...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fatboyslimfast"]Do aftermarket mains leads make any difference without a mains conditioner?[/quote]

No.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
0653_homer-eating-popcorn-small-c7873.JPG

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fatboyslimfast"]

I can understand the thinking that if you use a mains conditioner/cleaner and then decent (shielded?) cables from it to your equipment, then what is clean stays clean, but am unsure if these cables can have any cleaning effect themselves...[/quote]

No..Shielded cables will not clean a supply, they will only help prevent the pickup of RFI along their length. Your assumption above is correct. I'll stake your job on it........

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fatboyslimfast"]ok, (and I can sort of guess the answer here) but will they make a difference *with* a mains conditioner?[/quote]

No.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts