Suggestions - Using Project Debut III with NAD D3020

bidan

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I am a budding audiophile. I own a Project Debut III turntable , a Rega Fono Mini Phono Stage and would like to purchase an ampifier and a pair of speakers to driver them.

My main source of digital music is through my MacBook (Apple Lossless) using AudioEnngine D1 DAC.

I have three questions

1) I find NAD 3020 a very attractive option. However, I am not sure if it will be able to drive my Debut III . I am planning to connect my Rega Fono USB Out to NAD 3020 DAC. This will allow me to free up the RC in Port of NAD 3020 (it has only one). How does it sound?

2) Which speakers do you recommend if I go for NAD 3020

Thanks in advance. This is my first post in the what hifi forum. I really look forward to getting some help from all the audiophiles out there

:)

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Bidan,

Welcome to the forum, can't coment on the rega - theoretically should work via USB, but I would have thought this was mostly designed to run into a USb input on a PC? - I'm sure the NAD would work well for you, and in terms of speakers, something from Dali shoud work well, depending on overall budget you have in mind for these, the zensor 3's have just received some good press, which may be worth looking at?

bidan

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response.

Yes, DALI was certainly in my mind.

How dows DALI Zensor 3 compare with Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 when paired with NAD Amplifiers.

Thanks Again

matthewpiano

bidan said:
Thanks for the response.

Yes, DALI was certainly in my mind.

How dows DALI Zensor 3 compare with Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 when paired with NAD Amplifiers.

Thanks Again

I can't comment on the new NAD amp but I have owned both the BX2s and the Zensor 3s and, in my opinion, the Zensors are far superior to the BX2s in pretty much every way. The BX2s are technically very competent but I've heard them driven by a variety of different amplification and they've always had a detached and sterile quality to my ears. One review I've read of the NAD D3020 suggested that this component can also be a bit like this, so pairing the two together might not be a good thing (although I have to say sterile isn't a criticism I would normally level at NAD amps).

I find Dali speakers are very gregarious and partner well with a wide range of amplification. I've owned various models of Dali (Lektor 2, Zensor 1, Ikon 1 MkI and now Zensor 3) and paired them with amplification from Marantz, NAD, Rotel, Yamaha, and Pioneer, and they've never failed to impress as thoroughly involving musical partners. In short, I think it is hard to go wrong with them.

You might also want to try the Q Acoustics Concept 20s which are also excellent speakers.

bidan

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
The setup I had earlier before moving over to United States was Marantz PM6003, WhARFEDALE 9.5 floorstanders and Project Debut III TT (5M Cartridge). I was very happy with the sound. I just broght over the turn table (as it was the lightest in terms of weight).

I had to change the pulley of my Project Debut III turntable to the one that matches 60Hz. The current one was using 50 Hz. It was a pretty straight forward procedure. I got the pulley from needledoctor.com

Now I need to complete the setup. This is setup I have in mind that I hope will beat my earlier setup.

1) Phono AMp --> Rega FONO Mini : I hope it works. I am not getting a chance to audition it.

2) Amplifier --> NAD D 3020 : Has a optional Sub Woofer Out which will be handy for the occassional dance parties. I dont prefer subwoofer for regular listening.

3) Speakers --> ZenSors 1. It has a wall mounting option which my wife likes ;-) . I am not sure if it will do justice to the sound considering the fact that it is rear bass ported.

4) DAC (AUdio Engine D1) --> I have bought it already and has made the sound comig out of my DAC much better. Interesting to see how it compares with the DAC on NAD 3020. I will post a review when I get a chance.

The only thing I am not sure about is, if I should spend $175 on Rega FONO Phono Stage. Can any one suggest me a cheaper replacement without compromising the sound quality too much. I am on a tight budget. My ears are tuned to the Phono Pre Amp that comes along with Marantz PM6003. Anything that can beat that would make me happy....

I haope I am able to narrate my situation.

Please feel free to comment on the setup I have just mentioned. In short NAD D3020, Debut III and DALI Zensor 1

Thanks in advance.

matthewpiano

I would ditch the Audioengine DAC and use the internal DAC on the NAD for your streamed content, leaving the analogue inputs free for a more affordable and more conventional phono stage such as the NAD PP-1. That way you can be quids in - sell the seperate DAC and pay out less for the phono stage.

T

the record spot

If you can, try and hear the Cambridge Audio Aero 2. These sound like a very interesting option and worth hearing.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bidan said:
I am a budding audiophile. I own a Project Debut III turntable , a Rega Fono Mini Phono Stage and would like to purchase an ampifier and a pair of speakers to driver them.

My main source of digital music is through my MacBook (Apple Lossless) using AudioEnngine D1 DAC.

I have three questions

1) I find NAD 3020 a very attractive option. However, I am not sure if it will be able to drive my Debut III . I am planning to connect my Rega Fono USB Out to NAD 3020 DAC. How does it sound?

How it sounds is irrelevant, if it works (and I don't think it would) it would completely defeat the point of having a turntable, the Fono mini would be converting the analogue audio into digital and the the 3020D's DAC would be converting it back to digital again, which is pointless, you might as well listen to a CD.

bidan

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I got my brand new D3020 deivered today via Amazon ($499). I am yet to start auditioning the speakers.

I have owned Marantz PM6003 + Wharfedale 9.5 in the past. So thats my reference.

Since I dont have speakers, I went to my friend's place who owns a pair of Wharfedale 8.3 . These are 6Ohm floor standers. Looking at the size of the speakers when compared to the tiny D3020, I thought it will not be able to drive them. I was blown away when it started playing some of my reference tracks. The attack is excellent and I would say competes firecly with Marantz PM6003. I compared the NAD's DAC with the AudiioEngine D1 (wich is an excellent DAC and comes for $170) ; and the NAD's DAC was on top. It has a much better mid range presentation and for me it matters the most.

I have a Nexus5 phone which supports Bluetooth Aptx. I also have a Google Music Subscription that I listen to in my Car by pairing it with my Car Audio. With NAD D3020, I can have the same setup with great sound. This is modern day Hi Fi. I am in my mid thirties and I have grown up on Cassete tape recorders and graduated to MP3s and FLACS. NAD D3020 is the right amplifier for todays need. Well done NAD. Comeon Marantz, Rotel, Regs's... wake up and fire up this segment with more choice. Its a brave move to try out class D amplifier and what makes it sound so good is probably a top class power switching... because eventually good amplification is about current delivery to the speakers.

To all my friends who are happy with iPod Sound Docks worth hundred's of dollars, give NAD D3020 a try and I am sure you will realize what you were missing all this while.

I will keep you posted on my search for the right speakers. Now here is my situation. I am pretty much exhausted on my budget at the moment and I am running out of patience to get a pair of speakers ASAP. The choice is obvious at this moment..... a used pair of speakers. I have shortlisted a few of them...

KEF 103.2 - $290

KEF C40 - $100

Wharfedale Evo2-8 - $325

Mission Freedom 770 - $175

KEF C85 - $300

KEF Coda 7 - $65

B&W DM601 - $180

Now here a small help I need form experts out here in this forum. If any one is aware of these speakers (these are old speakers, some of them are vintage) and can suggest good pairing with NAD D3020, I would drive down to audition them.

Thanks in advance.

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
bidan said:
I am planning to connect my Rega Fono USB Out to NAD 3020 DAC. This will allow me to free up the RC in Port of NAD 3020 (it has only one).

I'm almost certain it wouldn't work. An even if it by any chance would work, it is a very bad idea. Use analog input for your TT and digital input for your digital sources. If you want to keep on using your DAC, you shoul look at other amps.

Edit: Redundat answer, I should have read the whole thread first.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts