Advice on budget turntable replacement

peterc

Jun 25, 2023
Visit site
Hi, thank you for taking the time to read this post....
I'm currently using a Project Debut III that is approx 18 years old. Hasn't seen heavy use, but still on the same stock needle and never been serviced.
I've recently replaced my old Rotel amp with a Marantz PM6007 and am now looking to replace my turntable.
My budget is up to £500 and am not precious on make / model / appearance - just interested in quality.
My question is:
Should I replace the existing needle/ cartridge on the project debut III, or
But something like a regar 1 plus (maybe eco) and buy a decent needle / cartridge for it, or
Spend £500 of a turntable with a decent-ish needle on it already?
Really appreciate your advice and recommendations product wise.
FYI, I'm currently driving B&W DM6001 speakers and listen to all types of music (nothing specific).
Thanks again everyone.

The cheapest option is obviously to keep what you already have.
Replace the drive belt and stick a decent cartridge on the Debut.
Having said that the deal mentioned above is a good one if you are UK based, which I assume you are.
You might even be able to get them to improve it by replacing the Ortofon red stylus with the Blue.

Reactions: peterc

peterc

Jun 25, 2023
Visit site
For the price. I'd put the Pro-ject Carbon Esprit on the short list.

Thank you for the recommendation. Much appreciated

peterc

Jun 25, 2023
Visit site
The cheapest option is obviously to keep what you already have.
Replace the drive belt and stick a decent cartridge on the Debut.
Having said that the deal mentioned above is a good one if you are UK based, which I assume you are.
You might even be able to get them to improve it by replacing the Ortofon red stylus with the Blue.
Many thanks. That carbon does look like a great deal. Cheers!

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
i think the best you can do is buy the most better cartridge you can about the turntable , the rega is far better but what matters here is the cartridge i saw some good options around or a bit less than 500€, if the turntable still works perfect , you´ll get more sound quality by improving the cartridge , for sure will be better than spend more money on other turntable unless it gives you problems, Pro-Ject are very frail. also the 2m series from Ortofon in my opinion and several people that i know ,only starting on the bronze it gives you aceptable sound as an example i bought recentelly because the price droped a lot the Grado prestige III gold anjd it as a good frequency response and it´s cheaper than the 2m bronze from Ortofon . all other components are or should be good sounding like the speakers and amplifier you have

Last edited:
Reactions: peterc

peterc

Jun 25, 2023
Visit site
i think the best you can do is buy the most better cartridge you can about the turntable , the rega is far better but what matters here is the cartridge i saw some good options around or a bit less than 500€, if the turntable still works perfect , you´ll get more sound quality by improving the cartridge , for sure will be better than spend more money on other turntable unless it gives you problems, Pro-Ject are very frail. also the 2m series from Ortofon in my opinion and several people that i know ,only starting on the bronze it gives you aceptable sound as an example i bought recentelly because the price droped a lot the Grado prestige III gold anjd it as a good frequency response and it´s cheaper than the 2m bronze from Ortofon . all other components are or should be good sounding like the speakers and amplifier you have
Thank you for the recommendation.

matthewpianist

The Debut Carbon Esprit would be a good buy and a noticeable uplift on your older Debut. I agree with suggestions to upgrade the 2m Red to Blue - there is a significant difference in performance and the Blue digs much more detail out of the groove.

There is not quality difference between Project and Rega, both produce excellent turntables at all price points.

Reactions: Al ears
The Debut Carbon Esprit would be a good buy and a noticeable uplift on your older Debut. I agree with suggestions to upgrade the 2m Red to Blue - there is a significant difference in performance and the Blue digs much more detail out of the groove.

There is not quality difference between Project and Rega, both produce excellent turntables at all price points.
agreed, not sure where certain people get the idea that Project decks are frail, but then he may not be using the right term. Ultimately they tend to be more adaptable than Rega decks.

Reactions: matthewpianist
agreed, not sure where certain people get the idea that Project decks are frail, but then he may not be using the right term. Ultimately they tend to be more adaptable than Rega decks.
Always had a soft spot for Pro-ject tables, they are well-built as any price compatible turntables. Very good when it comes cartridge upgrades too.

matthewpianist

I've owned multiple Rega and Project turntables, and all have been very good at their price points. The best have been the RP3/Elys2/TTPSU and my current Project Classic/2M Blue. Those two decks demonstrate opposing views on engineering, the Rega having a very light plinth and the Project being on the heavy side, but both superb.

TRENDING THREADS