Subwoofer advice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I can but try and common sense will prevail. I dont intend to blow up the kefs. The sub will also be used at home as i find that the kefs lack bass at normal home listening levels. They need to be played too loud in this environment to show their best qualities, at least too loud for the wife! I will also use in a 2.1 set up for movies.

So nothing lost in the investment in the sub.

Looks like the R300's go louder so that is a possible next option. I want to avoid floorstanders in my room at home if i can.

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Also, absolute fidelity of sound and accurate integration of sub with speakers not necessarily a prerequisite in the larger room. 90% thereof would do.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
wilsmusic said:
I can but try and common sense will prevail. I dont intend to blow up the kefs. The sub will also be used at home as i find that the kefs lack bass at normal home listening levels. They need to be played too loud in this environment to show their best qualities, at least too loud for the wife! I will also use in a 2.1 set up for movies.

So nothing lost in the investment in the sub.

Looks like the R300's go louder so that is a possible next option. I want to avoid floorstanders in my room at home if i can.

Since you clearly like your current setup, can I suggest that you get another pair of speakers for your occasional use elswhere.

I would suggest a pair of Yamaha HS80 active monitors, these are big sounding with an 8 inch bass driver and are designed to play loud all day. You could, at a pinch, drive them directly from your phone either by cable or from a simple Bluetooth or Airplay reciever.

I have seen a setup like this used with a laptop as source and a Fostex usb dac/volume control, simple and very effective.

insider9

What's the size of the room? How far apart are the speakers and how far from speakers do you sit? How close are the speakers to walls (side and back)? What are they placed on? Also are you sitting close to the centre of the room or closer to a wall?

Many small floorstanders will actually take up less space than standmounts on stands. R300 is only 3dB more sensitive so not a huge difference. And will only produce a few dB extra at max power. Pushing any speaker to close to it's max SPL is dangerous. And if you're reaching circa 105dB already there isn't that much more you will be able to do with majority hifi speakers be it floorstanders or standmounts. Although floorstanders will do much better at these volumes and produce more bass.

One other thing I can think of is that you may have an issue with your amp that's not putting out enough power. 4-5pm is far too far in my opinion.

I don't think I ever went further than 1pm on my Roksan Kandy.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hence the suggestion for using pro monitor types.

They are designed to play at high levels, and do so with the kind of ease LS50s could only dream of.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Listening to music at more than 85db on a regular basis will damage your hearing.

If the goal is to achieve rock concerts dB levels you can always get PA speakers.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Back in the day I had a pair of JBL 15 inch studio monitors as my 'party' speakers, they did a phenominal job.

Something of that type and capability in the current market would be way too expensive so were I looking for some sort of near equivilent, I would look at active monitors.

Price comes into it of course but The HS80s referred to above can be had for around £400-450 and the equally capable Presonus Eris8 for a little less. Either will handle pretty much any houseparty though if you are looking to fill a really big space then you will need more.

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
hi all

so option1 check out running Kef's plus sub without driving Kandy to extreme levels. Use db metre

Step 2 research active monitors as an alternative if option 1 doesn't get decent results.

Thanks everyone

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts