Stereo Amplifier for Movies

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I need advise on which stereo amplifier to buy to pair with my Dali Lektor 2 speakers.

The usage is movies (70%) and music (30%). The room size is 10'x10' and the source is an Asus Xonar Essence with RCA outs (through an HTPC).

From other threads in this forum, I have gathered that the best amp to go with the Dali Lektor 2's (for music) would be:

1. Marantz PM6002

2. NAD C326BEE

I will be using a Velodyne subwoofer for movies, so I will need a sub out. I heard that the NAD has a sub out but the Marantz doesn't. Does that mean I can't connect the subwoofer to the PM6002?

I have been advised earlier to go for cheap AVRs like Denon 1509 or Yamaha 363 or Cambridge Audio 340R but I am not sure if that is a good idea. I don't have the budget to go separate, so for the next 5 yrs I will have to stick to this purchase!

TIA!

A

Anonymous

Hi, Either of those amps would be fine and both will way outplay budget AV amps in stereo mode, as for a sub, you can connect at speaker level, negating the need for a dedicated sub out on the amp.

Basicaly the sub is wired in line with the speakers - there are normally binding posts on the back of the sub for this...

radovantz

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
Since you are more serious in movie (70%), i suggest you buy an av receiver and use 2.1 stereo setup. Music sounds good with subwoofer. You will be able to listen movies in DTS sound format that stereo amplifier don't have. Unlike dolby, DTS multichannel sounds good in 2.1 stereo setup.

A

Anonymous

Check out the Harman Kardon 3490. It's got everything you need. Bought it 2 months ago and paired it with System Audio Ranger speakers + Rel T3 sub- works magic both in movies and stereo.

A

Anonymous

True, NAD has sub-out but the Marantz has 2 sets of speaker plugs - you can wire one set to the speakers and one set to the sub, you will also be able to turn off your sub via button on the amp that activates each speaker set.

A

Anonymous

All decoding is being done in the HTPC (Asus Xonar Essence is the top end sound card in the Xonar range) so I don't need any of the decoding capabilities in the AVR. Most of the media won't be having DTS either. So wouldn't getting an AVR be a waste of money in my case?

A

Anonymous

dio:Check out the Harman Kardon 3490. It's got everything you need. Bought it 2 months ago and paired it with System Audio Ranger speakers + Rel T3 sub- works magic both in movies and stereo.

I checked it out and it seems to have a lot of nice reviews. This is a Stereo receiver (with digital inputs etc). I just have no idea how it will sound with the Dali Lektor 2's. The NAD and Marantz 6002 have been tried and tested with the Dali so I am a bit inclined towards them.

HK has little/no dealers at my place so that can be an issue. I know a dealer who sells/services Marantz/NAD/CA, so I want to stick to those brands.

THanks a lot!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts