Hi,

I've got a query on subwoofers and AVRs that I can't seem to get to the root of.

A few years ago, I invested in a Atmos system with a Yamaha RV-A3050 and Dali Opticon speakers, including an Dali E12f subwoofer.

Initially, I had the system set up in my living room as just 5.1 before moving it into my loft conversion as as part of a 4K home cinema with projector and Dali Phantom ceiling speakers for Atmos.

Originally, the subwoofer performed very well and didnt need anything extra in terms of increasing output levels on the AVR and very little amplificaion above the minimum of the subwoofer itself. At some point this changed. I now need to set the output to +2db and have the E12f at mid volume level. I'm running through a single LFE cable and crossover is set to 80Hz on AVR and maximum on the subwoofer (these settings have not been changed). If I try to run the test in the levels section of the AVR, the subwoofer is barely audible (this never used to be the case). It performs ok watching movies, but feels a bit muddy and at time distored.

To help investigate this problem, I decided to get a cheaper 5.1 installation reinstated in my living room by picking up a Yamaha RX-V733 off eBay and complementing a set of MS902is with centre (905C), floorstanders (906s) and subwoofers (Alumni 339).

I've spent the trying both subwoofers on both AVRs, and both are suffering from the same problem (very quiet, need a lot of extra help to get decent volume, but sound ultimately being muddy/distorted).

So, what is the issue here:

1. Common output problem for subs on BOTH Yamaha AVRs?
2. BOTH subs being damaged in someway from overuse (would they not just fail altogether)?

I'm a bit stumped.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob.

Apart from both spaces might be of a different volume (size-wise) which will affect how well a sub can fill a larger space compared to a smaller space, your living room is likely a more solid brick wall, whereas your loft may well be truss work and boards. The boards can act as absorbers of bass, which means you'll be getting less bass when playing at the same levels you did in the living room.

As above, you need to re-run the auto setup, which will set levels relevant to the new space.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Your post is not very clear. How is buying a cheap (used)? system off ebay going to help you investigate what's going on with the attic system?
I'm guessing that the E12f worked fine in the living room when it was being used in 5.1 with the RV-A3050 (I'm also guessing that you mean the RX-A3050)?
I find that my sub works best when connected to my amps pre out. I set the x over on the sub and adjust the volume on the sub as required. The lower the x over frequency, the higher I have to turn the sub's volume control up (which is perfectly normal).
A 150 watt RMS sub is really not very powerful, it could easily clip if set past its half way mark, perhaps you could try 2 subs?
I'm assuming that you have checked the phase switches?

Fandango Andy

Hi,

I've got a query on subwoofers and AVRs that I can't seem to get to the root of.

A few years ago, I invested in a Atmos system with a Yamaha RV-A3050 and Dali Opticon speakers, including an Dali E12f subwoofer.

Initially, I had the system set up in my living room as just 5.1 before moving it into my loft conversion as as part of a 4K home cinema with projector and Dali Phantom ceiling speakers for Atmos.

Originally, the subwoofer performed very well and didnt need anything extra in terms of increasing output levels on the AVR and very little amplificaion above the minimum of the subwoofer itself. At some point this changed. I now need to set the output to +2db and have the E12f at mid volume level. I'm running through a single LFE cable and crossover is set to 80Hz on AVR and maximum on the subwoofer (these settings have not been changed). If I try to run the test in the levels section of the AVR, the subwoofer is barely audible (this never used to be the case). It performs ok watching movies, but feels a bit muddy and at time distored.

To help investigate this problem, I decided to get a cheaper 5.1 installation reinstated in my living room by picking up a Yamaha RX-V733 off eBay and complementing a set of MS902is with centre (905C), floorstanders (906s) and subwoofers (Alumni 339).

I've spent the trying both subwoofers on both AVRs, and both are suffering from the same problem (very quiet, need a lot of extra help to get decent volume, but sound ultimately being muddy/distorted).

So, what is the issue here:

1. Common output problem for subs on BOTH Yamaha AVRs?
2. BOTH subs being damaged in someway from overuse (would they not just fail altogether)?

I'm a bit stumped.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob.
It sounds like you are chasing a unicorn. A subwoofer isn't there to provide volume, the centre and front speakers should do all the heavy lifting and the gives the weight at the bottom end.

From the experiments you have done it sounds like the equipment is all functioning OK, so the most likely problem is speaker placement. Are your speakers far enough from the walls? is the sub in front of your listening position and close enough to your front speaker to avoid any timing problems?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts