Stereo amp advice desperately needed.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Please help as I really need some good advice

I've just bought a second-hand Rotel RCD06 cd player and pair of B&W 685 speakers. Now all I need is a good integrated stereo amp and my first separates system will be up and running. Any idea what would work best with this combo?

At some point soon I would like to add a turntable. Also, if possible, a cheap way of playing MP3's I've downloaded on my mac and stuff on my old 1st gen ipod shuffle. Not sure how though.

A second-hand amp would be ideal as I only have about £250 and I would prefer to get a good used one than a cheap new one. I don't mind what make the amp is as long as it works well and produces the best possible sound with the speakers and cd player I have.

I was thinking of maybe a Rotel RA-01 or Rotel RA-04, but will the wattage be enough for the B&W 685's? Is there a better used compatible amp I could buy for around £250

Although this is classed as a budget system, the cost of putting the whole thing together is alot of money to me and I need this system to last for years to come.

Any advice as to the best reasonably priced amp, speaker cable and interconnects etc will be invaluable as I am sooooo confused.

Take care,

Rachel

PS My lounge isn't very large. I listen to mainly goth, industrial and electronica just in case you need to know.

John Duncan

Hi Rachel

The Rotel amps you mention are certainly where I'd start - they suit the CD player aesthetically and worked really well with the 685s when I heard them. There's an RA04 in black on ebay sitting on 160 quid with 12 hours to go which is worth looking at - should go for no more than 200 tops. But be patient, there may be even better deals out there for the '01.

Note that 250 quid will buy a lot on the used market, including something like the Exposure 2010 (600 quid in its day, but don't be fooled by the one on EB at the moment, it's only a power amp and won't work for you), which would suit your tastes quite well I think. No phono stage if I remember right, but you can always add an external one later when you get a turntable.

As for iPod playback, I'd start with a Belkin 3.5mm-jack-to-2xRCA cable from the headphone socket to a spare input on the amp. Lots of other, more expensive, ways to do it though, including streaming from your Mac, which has the potential to sound fantastic when done properly.

JD

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice JohnDuncan.
I'll look out for the Rotels and Exposure 1020 then. Is the Exposure 1020s similar to the 1020? I'll definitely try your ipod playback suggestion when my system is up and running as it doesn't sound expensive.

Anyone else have any suggestions regarding a suitable integrated stereo amp?

I need something that will produce a good clear sound with punchy bass when playing goth, industrial or electronica through my B&W 685's and Rotel cd player.

What about a second-hand NAD 370 or NAD C352. Are Audiolab or Pioneer any good? Would any of these work well with my cd player/speakers and musical tastes? Or should I stick with Rotel's or the Exposure mentioned?

I don't mind what make as long as all 3 work well together to produce a great sound

Take care,

Rachel

John Duncan

NAD'd work, certainly, as would an Audiolab 8000 (older), though I'd miss out Pioneer unless you come across an old A400 in good condition.

The 2010s was an upgrade of the 2010 I think, though both are good amps, just depends on which comes up on eBay.

I'm sure others will jump in.

A

Anonymous

If you like a slightly more analytical sound, this is excellent value for money:

http : // www . moorgateacoustics.co.uk/index.php?product_id=685703&option=Prod_detail&image_id=296695

Else I'd be looking for a used Rotel RA-03 or RA-06, the 70W version of the Rotel range.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the tips igglebert and JohnDuncan.

I can get either a second-hand NAD C352 or C370 for £220 or a new Rotel RA-04 for £250.

What do you think to those prices? Are they reasonable?

I suspect even a second-hand Rotel RA-06 will be over my budget.

Does anyone know where I can get a second-hand RA-03 from?

T

the record spot

I think you could have a look at the BADA Marketplace area of their website. There you'll find a bunch of amps from very little to quite a lot.

There's a few amps on there currently you might very well be interested in (Marantz, Linn and NAD). Trouble is, one is in Devon and unless you are too, it might be tricky to demo.

Shop around though - I tend to find entering "hi fi special offers" into a Google UK only search returns some good independent dealers over a few pages, most of whom will have some used kit to offer too. Worth checking for someone near your part of the world.

A

Anonymous

The NAD C352 punches much further above the weight of the Rotel you mentioned, bags more slam, drive presence and power but in turn is not as good as the C370 which is a real powerhouse of an amp. Don't get me wrong the Rotel is a nice amplifier but to me it doesn't stand up to the other ones mentioned.

A

Anonymous

hi fi newbie:

The NAD C352 punches much further above the weight of the Rotel you mentioned, bags more slam, drive presence and power but in turn is not as good as the C370 which is a real powerhouse of an amp. Don't get me wrong the Rotel is a nice amplifier but to me it doesn't stand up to the other ones mentioned.

This comes down to taste.

A

Anonymous

Thanks hi fi newbie and the record spot
emotion-1.gif

igglebert- Do you think the NAD C352 is a bad choice then?

What about an arcam A85? Would that work well with the Rotel cd player and B&W 685's for goth, industrial and electronica? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

At the moment I can find a used NAD C352 @£210 / used Arcam A85 @£310 / and brand new RA-04 @£250 or Audiolab 8000 @£290

I can just about stretch to £300 at a push
emotion-14.gif
I know the A85 and C352 do not have a phono stage, I'm not sure about the other two. However, that is not a huge issue though as I think a phono stage can be added later. I am just concentrating on getting the best sound at the moment.

John Duncan

monkeycat:What about an arcam A85? Would that work well......for goth, industrial and electronica?

(lights blue touchpaper)

No. Without a power amp, I don't think it works for anything.....
emotion-2.gif

The NAD or the Rotel would be my blind choice of those four - I don't really know the Audiolab, others here may be able to comment - it's certainly well thought of by many, but may not be suited to your style.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts