What is an amp upgrade?

Dr-Low

Sep 30, 2023
Visit site
First post here. I would like to buy a better stereo amp, and on top of that the volume pot is crackling during turning and I would like a little more wattage. But because my amp is so old (Bought new by my parents) I don't know what would be a similar quality.
If I would buy a new system, what amount of money do I need to spend to have a similar quality?
Do you have any suggestions for better amps? (Because of environmental reasons I would like to buy it second hand. Max € 1000,-)

Current system:
- JVC AX-E77 Stereo amp (2x50Watt) (picture in attachment)
- Dali Ikon 6 MK 2

I use it for: Films, music and vinyl
Music Genres: Metal, 60/70 and Classical

2023-09-30 23_20_13-Window.png

Last edited:

Gray

First post here. I would like to buy a better stereo amp, and on top of that the volume pot is crackling during turning and I would like a little more wattage. But because my amp is so old (Bought new by my parents) I don't know what would be a similar quality.
If I would buy a new system, what amount of money do I need to spend to have a similar quality?
Do you have any suggestions for better amps? (Because of environmental reasons I would like to buy it second hand.)

Current system:
- JVC AX-E77 Stereo amp (2x50Watt) (picture in attachment)
- Dali Ikon 6 MK 2

View attachment 5339
Welcome to the forum.
Say what music sources you want to listen to.
State the MAXIMUM amount of money you want to spend.
You will get LOADS of worthwhile recommendations (y)

Ah, I see you've just edited in your budget and preferred sources......

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr-Low

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
The world is your oyster with €1000 for a used amp. Narrow it down by considering what do you need the amp to do: what power, what inputs, phono stage, DAC, pre outs, sub out.
The Dali speakers I’ve heard can be a little bright so, as a starting point, I’d suggest Arcam, Marantz or NAD. Thousands of other options, though.

You put a price in Euros, so where are you living? I’ve no idea of secondhand prices in Europe - it’s hard enough keeping a rough idea here in the UK!

Your floorstanding Dali speakers have a high-ish 89dB sensitivity so I doubt you need much more power, but that JVC is probably past its best.

If you can get a well cared for Marantz, such as the PM8005 or 8006 for your budget, that would be a good choice, imo.

DCarmi

Given you plan to use for films as well as music I'd look at Yamaha, Denon or Marantz AV amps.

I've seen the Marantz Cinema 70s for 650 UK pounds, used as new on Amazon. You might find something similar at your location. Might not quite be classed as second hand but would be returnable should you feel the need.

Fidelity dom

Dec 3, 2020
Visit site
If environmental concerns are significant factor in your choice of amp it’s worth remembering the significant increased efficiency of class d designs 90% + as opposed to 50% at best for class a/b. Something like a primare i22 or i32 secondhand would be a significant step up…..😀

Reactions: Dr-Low and nopiano

Fidelity dom

Dec 3, 2020
Visit site
Yeah great amps, I just love my i22 paired with kef r500s. I think a nice used example could be a great solution for not very much money. The primare kit is beautifully finished & to my ears has a great sound, The i15 can be found for less than 1000euro new (60 watt into 8 ohm), I was impressed when I heard it demoed with some dynaudio evoke 30s. Then again there is always a used Nord integrated if you can find one. Class d can get you a lots of power & headroom for not very much money these days……..😀

Dr-Low

Sep 30, 2023
Visit site
You put a price in Euros, so where are you living? I’ve no idea of secondhand prices in Europe - it’s hard enough keeping a rough idea here in the UK!

Your floorstanding Dali speakers have a high-ish 89dB sensitivity so I doubt you need much more power, but that JVC is probably past its best.

If you can get a well cared for Marantz, such as the PM8005 or 8006 for your budget, that would be a good choice, imo.
Hey, thx for your reply. I'm living in the Netherlands.

I see sometimes coming by the marantz pm-ki pearl lite for 500,- and marantz pm-ki pearl for 1500,- Are those for example alright options for Marantz too?

Are there certain years or types to avoid for Marantz?

Dr-Low

Sep 30, 2023
Visit site
The world is your oyster with €1000 for a used amp. Narrow it down by considering what do you need the amp to do: what power, what inputs, phono stage, DAC, pre outs, sub out.
The Dali speakers I’ve heard can be a little bright so, as a starting point, I’d suggest Arcam, Marantz or NAD. Thousands of other options, though.
Thx for your reply. Are those brands similar in quality? Is there much quality difference if you would compare 1000,- systems between those brands? Certain types to look for or avoid?

Dr-Low

Sep 30, 2023
Visit site
Given you plan to use for films as well as music I'd look at Yamaha, Denon or Marantz AV amps.

I've seen the Marantz Cinema 70s for 650 UK pounds, used as new on Amazon. You might find something similar at your location. Might not quite be classed as second hand but would be returnable should you feel the need.

If environmental concerns are significant factor in your choice of amp it’s worth remembering the significant increased efficiency of class d designs 90% + as opposed to 50% at best for class a/b. Something like a primare i22 or i32 secondhand would be a significant step up…..😀
That's an interesting factor you’re mentioning there. The only advantage I have, I generate my own energy.

Is the design a/b or d or any other one. Something I have to take into account?

WayneKerr

Hey, thx for your reply. I'm living in the Netherlands.

I see sometimes coming by the marantz pm-ki pearl lite for 500,- and marantz pm-ki pearl for 1500,- Are those for example alright options for Marantz too?

Are there certain years or types to avoid for Marantz?
The Pearl and the Pearl Lite are good amps, the Pearl is the better amp out of the two but you might pay a premium for it being an anniversary edition. Also look out for PM14SE, a very good amp in its own right, as this sat between the other two amps in question - Pearl Lite > PM14SE > Pearl.

Reactions: Dr-Low and nopiano

Dr-Low

Sep 30, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback!

I see that the Arcam A90 is sold a lot second hand in NL. All around 250,- is that an alright amp? Is there a better older serie from them?

Marantz looks really nice, I only have one problem with a few model. My maximum depth in the furniture is 420mm. So all the Marantz PM10,11,12,14,15 are too big. Marantz PM 8003/5/6 or pearl lite or stereo 70's would fit.

NAD is not sold a lot and well . . . Probably very good, but the looks . . .

Naim and Rotel are also coming by second hand. What is the opinion on those brands?

WayneKerr

Marantz looks really nice, I only have one problem with a few model. My maximum depth in the furniture is 420mm. So all the Marantz PM10,11,12,14,15 are too big. Marantz PM 8003/5/6 or pearl lite or stereo 70's would fit.
Understood.

In my opinion there will be very little difference sonically between the Pearl Lite and 8005/6/7, subtle at best. I had the same furniture issue as you for many years which was preventing an upgrade path I lusted over... my lust won, the furniture lost :)

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts