Star Wars Episode 7 News

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Thought I would start a thread on the new Star Wars movie, some news here:

http://www.fashionnstyle.com/articles/9858/20130803/star-wars-episode-7-plot-rumors-spoilers-new-details-hint-filming-already-started-pinewood-no-cgi-star-wars-vii-casting-trailer-coming-soon.htm

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Is J.J Abrams still directing? I heard a rumour he was about to quit a few weeks ago, I hope not as a Star Wars movie directed by him would surely be worth seeing and banish those painful memories of the prequels...only episode 3 had any merit...until the comedy ending.

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
Is J.J Abrams still directing? I heard a rumour he was about to quit a few weeks ago, I hope not as a Star Wars movie directed by him would surely be worth seeing and banish those painful memories of the prequels...only episode 3 had any merit...until the comedy ending.

I think so according to this:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/07/29/star-wars-episode-7-to-see-less-cgi-and-more-models-and-real-droids-3902277/

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I don't think the prequels had any merits. Terrible acting throughout. Was really disappointed with the third film.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Possibly some positive news in this link, after the CGI-heavy prequels and the clunky CGI inserts in the original trilogy:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/jul/29/star-wars-episode-vii-cgi

D

Deleted member 2457

mr malarky said:
Possibly some positive news in this link, after the CGI-heavy prequels and the clunky CGI inserts in the original trilogy:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/jul/29/star-wars-episode-vii-cgi

Good news.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
If Disney and Abrams et al. are scaling back the CGI, perhaps they could revisit the original trilogy and take out the CGI, awful new songs, "exciting" new footage, and make Han shoot first. Star Wars fans would be most excited by a fully restored original trilogy Blu-ray release. Yub nub, anyone???

That said, while I loved the films as a kid, I left Star Wars fandom behind a long time ago.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
If Disney and Abrams et al. are scaling back the CGI, perhaps they could revisit the original trilogy and take out the CGI, awful new songs, "exciting" new footage, and make Han shoot first. Star Wars fans would be most excited by a fully restored original trilogy Blu-ray release. Yub nub, anyone???

That said, while I loved the films as a kid, I left Star Wars fandom behind a long time ago.

Oh please god let Han shoot first again.

Greedo shooting first is just pathetic - he's supposed to be a bounty hunter but misses his target from less than two feet away!?!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Greedo did shoot first on the original storyboards. The mistake was trying to put it in by CGI years after shooting the original scene, where for some reason he did not.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
mikey2008 said:
Personally, I don't think the prequels had any merits. Terrible acting throughout.

Problem is, that wasn't acting, it was George Lucas telling the actors exactly how to say each line, instead of leaving them to get on with it, if they didn't do it exactly how he wanted it they did it again, so the problem is that George Lucas clearly can't act.. Ewan MacGregor was quite open about how frustrating it was.

I doubt Abrams will make the same mistake.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
mikey2008 said:
Personally, I don't think the prequels had any merits. Terrible acting throughout.

Problem is, that wasn't acting, it was George Lucas telling the actors exactly how to say each line, instead of leaving them to get on with it, if they didn't do it exactly how he wanted it they did it again, so the problem is that George Lucas clearly can't act.. Ewan MacGregor was quite open about how frustrating it was.

Casting soulless automatons such as Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman didn't help.

Sure, the dialogue was painful; and Lucas certainly isn't an actor's director; but cast members have to accept some responsibility. Ian McDiarmid was more than serviceable in the face of lamentable writing and shoddy direction. It's not all George's fault.

That said, Lucas does believe that exposition is dialogue's only function.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
The_Lhc said:
mikey2008 said:

Casting soulless automatons such as Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman didn't help.

Sure, the dialogue was painful; and Lucas certainly isn't an actor's director; but cast members have to accept some responsibility. Ian McDiarmid was more than serviceable in the face of lamentable writing and shoddy direction. It's not all George's fault.

That said, Lucas does believe that exposition is dialogue's only function.

You're being a tad harsh on Natalie portman there, thought she was very good in Black Swan.

I thought episodes two and three were serviceable (with three the best of the prequels), but Lucas made a mistake of ego by trying to control everything himself rather than concentrate on producing the films and delegate direction to someone else. It's no coincidence that the best star wards film, Empire, is the one directed by someone else with the confidence and experience to do the job properly (and not just be told what to do by George).

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new ones, Abrams is a good director and while Disney have had a few box office flops lately John Carter showed the studio can mix top-class CGI with live action in a convincing way within a sci-fi film.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
mr malarky said:
You're being a tad harsh on Natalie portman there, thought she was very good in Black Swan.

I though Natalie Portman was just as soulless in Black Swan as any other film she's appeared in. I recall stating a long argument as to why on a forum thread several years back.

mr malarky said:
It's no coincidence that the best star wards film, Empire, is the one directed by someone else with the confidence and experience to do the job properly (and not just be told what to do by George).

I wouldn't argue to the contrary.

I'm not trying to absolve George of all responsibility. He should certainly shoulder most of the blame. Of course Lucas didn't direct ROTJ, either, though he apparently did a fair bit of meddling.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
mr malarky said:

I though Natalie Portman was just as soulless in Black Swan as any other film she's appeared in. I recall stating a long argument as to why on a forum thread several years back.

Sorry but you can't include Leon in that list, she's brilliant in that.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Paul. said:
Also Garden State.

Ah, Gen X angst. Life's just so empty and meaningless. A bit like looking into the abyss, or a huge chasm in a quarry. (It looked really deep.)

What did Portman do so well in Garden State? I guess there's that scene where she makes silly noises, in keeping with that whole cycle of quirky Indiewood cinema.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Sorry but you can't include Leon in that list, she's brilliant in that.

Portman was perfectly fine in Leon, displaying as much emotional range as one might reasonably expect from a child actress. Unfortunately, her range didn't expand thereafter.

I'll also acknowledge that she went to great pains learning ballet for her role in Black Swan. (Not that I'm qualified to comment.) Portman is also very pretty, which helps account for her success.

Unfortunately, Portman is emotionally inarticulate. This lack of emotional insight works well during the first half of Black Swan, when she's playing a debilitatingly repressed character. However, Portman's lack of range is exposed during the transformation scenes, when she's required to shed all inhibition.

Several critics were fooled by Stallone's "performance" in Rocky. He was compared with Brando, De Niro, and Pacino. Vincent Canby was on the money when he described Stallone's performance as "an unconvincing actor imitating a lug."

However, many found Stallone convincing portraying a monosyllabic, punch-drunk Italian. They later realised he was simply being Sylvester Stallone.

I think critics made a similar error reviewing Portman's effort in Black Swan. Greater attention to the concluding scenes reveals that Portman's "performance" is smoke and mirrors -- kinetic editing and whip-pan camerawork suggesting emotional turmoil; and nothing of substance behind the trickery and attractive facade.

You can probably tell, I really didn't like Black Swan.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Got to agree with strapped RE Natalie Portman.

The only convincing performance (in one of the greatest action movies) is in Leon but she was well cast in the Star Wars prequels as Hayden Christiansen was just as souless and robotic in his performance which was a major part of the problem with the films as young Jake Lloyd in episode 1 was more convincing than Christiansen ever was and he was what 8 or 9??

The casting was terrible for those two roles although I thought Ewan could have been great as Obi-Wan had he been given a more free reign but you could see he was just going through the motions and no-one benefitted from the complete lack of physical sets, all of which is the fault of Lucas.

I totally agree about Empire...by far the best of the lot and by all accounts the one Lucas had the least say in out of all of them so the fact that he is being kept at arms length for the upcoming movies has to be great news. I was so happy when JJ got the gig for the new ones as he clearly has a grasp on sci fi and how to mix story, characterisation and epic action into an enjoyable movie, his work on Star Trek shows that so my hopes are high that we finally get the kind of Star Wars movie we all expected when Episode 1 came out.

T

theflyingwasp

After the anti climax of the last trilogy i dont think the hype will be as big this time and even tho i loved the last 2 star trek movies they didnt exactky set the box office alight.so j j abrams must be a tad nervous

I get a little bit angry tho when grown ass men complain about the prequels.yes i know lucas had to please the fans but these are films for kids and young teens .there were people camped out for 2months last time.no film will be able to recreate the magic of seeing a film at 10years old.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
After the anti climax of the last trilogy i dont think the hype will be as big this time and even tho i loved the last 2 star trek movies they didnt exactky set the box office alight.so j j abrams must be a tad nervous

Yeah, Into Darkness is only just approaching half a billion dollars BEFORE its home release, what a disaster...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts