My Yamaha RX-A2020 review

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Oldboy said:
The Sky issue sounds like an issue with the Sky box to me, either the box isn't sending the audio correctly to the amp or there is some sort of conflict between the two units. How is the audio sent to the amp, via optical or HDMI? I know there have been some issues with Sky boxes and the way they deal with sound but I thought they were all resolved, have you contacted Sky for advice? If it was the 2020 at fault here I would expect the issue to continue across all sources, of course the usual things should be tried like changing connections and leads etc but I'm sure you have tried all that eh.

Not 100% sure whether this problem is now sorted, as it's a very intermittent problem (I could go days without hearing a problem), but I've changed the audio output from Sky from HDMI to optical, and I've not heard anything since. :pray:

Thanks for all your help Oldboy. :cheers:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
What I have managed to sort, is a problem I had with getting sound to pass through so I could watch the tv without turning the receiver on, which will please my wife.

How did you manage to do this BBB? I wasn't aware the amp could even do this...it would be most helpful if you could point me in the right direction if you would be so kind.

Has your Sky issue now been solved after you swapped over to optical?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Oldboy said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
What I have managed to sort, is a problem I had with getting sound to pass through so I could watch the tv without turning the receiver on, which will please my wife.

How did you manage to do this BBB? I wasn't aware the amp could even do this...it would be most helpful if you could point me in the right direction if you would be so kind.

Has your Sky issue now been solved after you swapped over to optical?

Hi Oldboy

The Sky box is connected by both hdmi and optical to the 2020, I then changed the hdmi out setting on the Sky box to normal (stereo), and the optical out to DD, so I can have 5.1 DD via the receiver, and when the receiver is off, I get stereo to the tv.

This seems to have sorted the sound problems too, so it must have been 5.1 DD via hdmi which was causing the trouble.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Interesting. Thank you BBB for the information I will see if I can get it to work with my TiVo box as it would be very handy.

Hopefully your sound issue is now a thing of the past.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Just did my first firmware update (1.60) on the 2020, everything seems to have gone well, but it did take quite a long time (15-20 mins).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts