My Yamaha RX-A2020 review

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
RobinKidderminster said:
Gulp!

Just read the manual. Ignore my previous!

I'll advise you in a couple of years after I've read it all.

I WANT ONE !!

Will it improve on my V2065 ???

I STILL want one!

Hi RobinKidderminster

Just as with the RX-V2065 the Aventage RX-A2020 also offers the ability to customize DSP Soundfield parameters such as room size, DSP level, liveness, reverb time, etc. Only that the RX-A2020's processing is even more powerful :)

Btw, the Aventage RX-A2020 is a worthwhile improvement over the already impressive RX-A2065. Simply put the RX-V2065 sounds as though its reproducing music and movie soundtracks in slow motion in comparision to the Aventage RX-A2020 :rockout:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
RobinKidderminster said:
Gulp!

I WANT ONE !!

I STILL want one!

Hi RobinKidderminster

Just as with the RX-V2065 the Aventage RX-A2020 also offers the ability to customize DSP Soundfield parameters such as room size, DSP level, liveness, reverb time, etc. Only that the RX-A2020's processing is even more powerful :)

Btw, the Aventage RX-A2020 is a worthwhile improvement over the already impressive RX-A2065. Simply put the RX-V2065 sounds as though its reproducing music and movie soundtracks in slow motion in comparision to the Aventage RX-A2020 :rockout:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

That's really interesting information Rick, would you know how you go about changing all of the above and where abouts in the vast menu system I might find those options? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
And Rick I thought u were a nice guy ! Now I REALLY REALLY want one! Passing Kidderminster Oldboy? We need to talk! If I could be convinced ..... Need an audition.

Anyone want a bargain V2065??
And difficult to get a good price even for kit in perfect condition

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
And Rick I thought u were a nice guy ! Now I REALLY REALLY want one! Passing Kidderminster Oldboy? We need to talk! If I could be convinced ..... Need an audition.

Anyone want a bargain V2065??

Unfortunately we are along way away from each other, i'm in Colchester so a considerable way away from you...probably a good thing as you would be parting with cash once I had given you an audition!

Get an audition from a dealer near to you, there must be plenty in your area with you being near to Birmingham? Just don't take your wallet and credit card so you aren't parted with your cash there and then lol :grin:

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Right,bare with me;this i think is how it works,flat is the peq of choice for av as it flatens out the overall signal frequencies so that there are no spikes.If you flick thru the options while playing music you should hear a difference,when i used my avr for music i selected through,as to my ears it sounded better.You can manualy set the peq for each speaker,i asked advice on these forums 2 years back,no replies at first,then i think i was advised not to bother :grin:

To customize DSP press 'on screen'with the remote,select 'sound program'(enter)scroll accross to one,press up and there ya go :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I wish you'd stop talking about how great the 2020 is. Mine's been delivered, but I'm away working until Friday evening, and I'm out early Saturday morning, so when I'll get to play with my new toy, I don't know.
boohoo.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm away working until Friday evening, and I'm out early Saturday morning, so when I'll get to play with my new toy, I don't know.
boohoo.gif

Friday night or late Saturday morning, by my estimation... :shifty:

Enjoy BBB! I'm keen to hear what you think. :grin:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I wish you'd stop talking about how great the 2020 is. Mine's been delivered, but I'm away working until Friday evening, and I'm out early Saturday morning, so when I'll get to play with my new toy, I don't know.
boohoo.gif

You could at least update your sig in the meantime to make yourself feel better ;)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
boohoo.gif

You could at least update your sig in the meantime to make yourself feel better ;)

Thanks Ben, but that's not going to make me feel any better unfortunately.

But I've decided, Friday night is 2020 night.
smile.png

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BenLaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
boohoo.gif

Thanks Ben, but that's not going to make me feel any better unfortunately.

But I've decided, Friday night is 2020 night.
smile.png

I would be gagging to get that opened up and set up if it was me BBB just hope you are happy with it come friday evening, looking forward to hearing your thoughts and see how our opinions match or differ. Friday can't come soon enough I'm guessing :grin:

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Right. I'm fed up with hearing about how wonderful Oldboy's Yamaha RX-A2020 receiver is, and how great BBB's will be, so just to console myself (sob!) I've decided to put up this poor (1.3 Megapixel mobile phone camera from 2006) picture of my own bog-standard, unimproved, Mark 1 Yamaha RX-A2010, bought in July 2012 for £849.

Image006_2767_kB_22-May-2013_16h52_B55_zpsef71024c.jpg

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
By the way, people complain about how reflective TV screens can be. What about the reflectiveness of the upper half of the front panel of the 2010?? You can almost see what's on the kitchen table!

vonchief

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
I too have a new 2020.

Im having a little problem when playing a DVD, the disply toggles between Dolby Digital and DPL2X Movie.

I have tried altering it to straight and this stops the toggling but was wondering if I have a setting wrong somewhere ?

Is there a way of setting the display to stay on Dolby Digital without toggling back to DPL2X Movie every few seconds ?

Hope someone can help.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
vonchief said:
I too have a new 2020.

Im having a little problem when playing a DVD, the disply toggles between Dolby Digital and DPL2X Movie.

I have tried altering it to straight and this stops the toggling but was wondering if I have a setting wrong somewhere ?

Is there a way of setting the display to stay on Dolby Digital without toggling back to DPL2X Movie every few seconds ?

Hope someone can help.

There is something you can do about this. As Robin has already said the amp is displaying like this simply because you are using Dolby Pro Logic 2 Movie, change it to Pro Logic. Press the On Screen button on the remote, select Sound Program, srcoll along to the Surround Decoder option and press the up button on the remote. Another menu above now opens, go to the top setting called Decode Type, press enter and select Pro Logic.

Now use the Surround decoder sound option and the toggling text option should be replaced by Pro Logic. If you are not happy with this mode then you have another option when using any other sound program, just press the Info button on the remote found under the hinged panel on the remote and the display will change to show the DSP program selected instead of the audio decoder.

Also check that when you play a DVD that the correct audio option is selected from the audio menu before you play it, not saying you are stupid but some DVDs don't even select the 5.1 DD sound unless you select it...much like blu rays that don't select the HD sound format if you just play the disc (The Dark Knight being a good example) and need you to select it from the menu.

Hope that helps.

Oldboy said:
MUSICRAFT said:
RobinKidderminster said:
Gulp!

I WANT ONE !!

I STILL want one!

Hi RobinKidderminster

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

That's really interesting information Rick, would you know how you go about changing all of the above and where abouts in the vast menu system I might find those options? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Hi Oldboy

Please refer to the instructions - pages 108 & 109.

Btw, i'll recommend that in the first instance you should get to know the Yamaha amplifiers performance capabilities with YPAO and other standard parameters before tackling their more advanced audio settings. Temptation aside in my experience its going to take time to on board on how much to adjust the parameters so to how effectively the amplifier is tuned to interact with the components and the environmrent.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

vonchief

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
Thank you.

I have tried selecting Pro Logic but it still reverts back to Prologic 2X.

It could be because I have auto set on the extended surround option ?.

The display still keeps toggling unless I press the info button as you suggest.

I just cant seem to work out why it toggles between the two settings when watching DVD.

When using my set top box the display reads Pro Logic 2X and stays on this with no toggling, pressing the info button changes the display to surround decode and again this is not toggling.

Why does the display not toggle when watching through the set top box ?

(how many times have I said toggling !!!)

Cheers

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Check dvd output settings. Use direct to show u the input channels on the receiver. Prologic will 'light' the fronts but dd source will 'light' the surrounds. This will confirm the actual input to the amp

vonchief

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
Yes DVD is outputting DD

It all sounds fine which is the main thing, I guess it must be normal for the display to toggle.

Does seem strange that with PMC from the set top box the display remains constant though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts