My Yamaha RX-A2020 review

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
expat_mike said:
Oldboy,

I thought that Logitech said that they were stopping production of the Harmony Touch universal remote, a few months ago.

If so, you had better buy one whilst they are still in stock.

Indeed they did...then announced new models! Cue further confusion but from what I have read it would seem these remotes were already in the pipeline before they announced they were backing out of remote production, it's been rumoured that a buyer may step in and continue with the Harmony remotes but no word on that as of yet, could just be the internet rumour mill in over drive.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
+1. The Harmony One is a fabulous device. Not sure about the touch. Solid buttons seem much better option

I've tried to buy a Harmony One a few times now Robin but they are hard to find and expensive when you do find them, I'm reticent to buy one from flea bay as I would much rather have a new one than one that has been used as you never know how many times it's been dropped or had drinks spilled on it etc.

If I could find a Harmony One for the same sort of money as the touch then I would get one, the touch is available for about £120 at the moment so I will keep looking.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Dont know yr 2020 but I would be amazwd if the DTS Master wasnt shown on the front panel. Check yr manual/settings. The difference between DD and HD audio should be massive. Good luck. Great fun these new amps eh?!

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Oldboy said:
GSB said:
So what's your fav dsp mode for hd viewing the Oldboy? :)

Well so far I'm favouring sci-fi and adventure as they sound natural and balanced with plenty of punch but I fully intend to keep experimenting with them all. I tried the straight setting last night but found it a bit less engrossing mainly due to the 3D cinema being switched off in this setting, it really makes a difference to the sound with this on.Iv'e experimented and find the sci-fi to be the best(if you look up whfi review of my avr,there's abit of info)Love the music video setting,great for the likes of Jools Holland,the voice etc.Then there's the music dsp...'.the bottom line' is cool.

I presume the straight setting is essentially the amp just pumping out the DTS HD Master Audio track untouched with no processing? It's not as straight forward as my old Onkyo as the Yamaha doesn't even show if a Master Audio track is being received on the front display, it wasn't until I pressed the diplay button on the remote that I even knew it was being received as it's then shown on screen :oops:Yes,the straight setting is used for an DTS Master Audio/Dolby True HD sountrack,it basicaly switches the dsp off.Mine shows on the front screen what imput is selected,ie;sky,then underneath if it's Dolby Digital or HD Master etc,so don't understand why yours doesnt :?

I'm still unsure of what everything does so I'm still a bit confused when it comes to DSPs etc but I will get used to it soon enough and have a better understanding of what I like and don't like, until then it's a learning curve but that's part of the fun.Something that is of great use is the scene buttons... you just need a little timeto get your head 'round it as you say :grin:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Thanks GSB I will look up the 1010 review after I've written this for some more info.

When I use the straight setting all I get on the display of the 2020 is AV1 and under that Straight, having just looked at the manual (I hate that it comes on a disc with no paper copy!) more closely you just press the info button to change what is being displayed on the front panel and hey presto the Yamaha now shows the sound mode.

Currently got Snow White and the Huntsman on as I write this and it displays DTS HD Master under the input now, one problem solved :grin:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Dont know yr 2020 but I would be amazwd if the DTS Master wasnt shown on the front panel. Check yr manual/settings. The difference between DD and HD audio should be massive. Good luck. Great fun these new amps eh?!

Just a button press on the remote needed to change what the display shows, all sorted now. The amp was always pumping out the HD track as opposed to basic DD it was just that the only way to know this was to press the display button on the remote so you could see on screen what the amp was recieving and outputing.

Being at home with a new toy to play with is always great fun...and confusing but i'm sure I will get there eventually :)

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I agree about the cd-rom.....when i got my 1010 home i realised that i then had to go out and buy a new bloody lap-top just to read the pig'n instructions :wall:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
GSB said:
I agree about the cd-rom.....when i got my 1010 home i realised that i then had to go out and buy a new bloody lap-top just to read the pig'n instructions :wall:

What a pain in the rear...bet that was nice having to spend another good few hundred quid just to read the instructions, nice!

It's a real pain with them being on disc as I have to have the laptop on just to go through the instructions so it's not as easy to have a good read through, being a typical man alot of my reading is done in the loo lol. I'm tempted to print the entire manual off but with printer ink being more expensive than gold these days that won't be cheap so may leave it on the laptop.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
To be fair their are only a few pages you may want to refere back too...imputs that sort of thing...alot of my settings were achieved by just playing with the avr,for instance naming imputs.

If you havn't figured out the scene buttons yet try this:For instance when you are watching tv press and hold scene button2(on remote)...scene set will then appear on your tv.Then turn the avr off,now just press button 2 to turn your avr on,and the tv imput is selected automaticaly...same goes for any other imput...i have blu-ray/sky tv/105 analogue cd/ps3 :)

Oldboy said:
RobinKidderminster said:
+1. The Harmony One is a fabulous device. Not sure about the touch. Solid buttons seem much better option

I've tried to buy a Harmony One a few times now Robin but they are hard to find and expensive when you do find them, I'm reticent to buy one from flea bay as I would much rather have a new one than one that has been used as you never know how many times it's been dropped or had drinks spilled on it etc.

If I could find a Harmony One for the same sort of money as the touch then I would get one, the touch is available for about £120 at the moment so I will keep looking.

Keep an eye here as well. Sometimes you do get some brilliant deals.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Oldboy said:
bigboss said:
You need a bigger TV oldboy...at least 55 inches! ;)

I'm of exactly the same opinion bigboss and towards the end of the year I intend to add a nice shiny new 55 inch TV if funds allow :grin:

Hello oldboy,

First, new TV size, when you can - I don't think that 55" is enough of a step up from your present 46". Almost three years ago I changed my parlour TV from a 42" Pioneer to a 50" Pioneer, and nobody (out of about eight people) noticed! I'm not sure if many LCD or LED ranges go much bigger, though Sony certainly had a 65" LED last year that has recently been discontinued.

Second, your new Yamaha RX-A2020 is the updated version of my 2010 (I need to change my signature) and it should be even better than mine. I've experimented with the surround modes when playing Blu-Rays, and I prefer Movie Spectacular best, certainly better than Straight. But that's very much a matter of personal taste. I also (by pressing the Option button on the remote) use the Tone control to set Treble boost to +3dB, but again, that's individual taste.

I think you said that you were looking for a review of it? I can't find one online, but the current (June 2013, number 221) issue of Home Cinema Choice magazine has just such a review, a two-page affair starting on page 64. Richard Stevenson gives it 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Hi Son_of_SJ

As long as the Soundfield parameters have been suitably adjusted then I also find that with movie soundtracks Yamaha AV amplifiers give the most dynamic and natural performance with Movie Spectacle :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I find one thing annoying & wonder if its the same with latest Yams? The EQ options are OFF. Fine. EQ which allows u to alter each speakers frequency response in bands. Fine. PEQ which sets the equalization from the auto setup procedure. BUT u cant see nor adjust the PEQ. It would be nice to tweak the aettings but can only take it or leave it. I leave it because it always sounds to flat. I use EQ and adjust the centre to personal taste. No idea which parameters rhe PEQ adjusts but for the ambitious there is reverb, room size etc etc. Could be a lifetimes hobby!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
Oldboy said:
RobinKidderminster said:

Keep an eye here as well. Sometimes you do get some brilliant deals.

Many thanks as ever bigboss, I will keep an eye out for a touch then :)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Son_of_SJ,

Many thanks for your input it's much appreciated.

When it comes to a new tv 55 inch is going to be as big as I go and should be plenty big enough for my room and the position of my sofa, I completely understand your thoughts with screen size but cost is my main consideration here and if I were to look at an even larger tv then we are getting into the realm of uncomfortable cost. I'm prepared to go to the £2000 mark but that's my cut off so to get a tv any bigger than 55 inch will be difficult at that price point and I won't buy another plasma tv as I do too much gaming to make it a practical alternative so I think 55 inch LED is where I'm going to have to stick at.

I still prefer the Sci-Fi surrfound mode on my Yamaha 2020 and Django sounded incredible last night when I watched it, I did go through the other modes to compare them and I can see why some people would prefer the spectacle setting but as you say it's just personal taste. When it comes to treble I use the bypass setting and have found this far better because when you add treble with the 2020 it gets a little too bright and the high end gets a bit harsh, bypass on the other hand gives just the right balance between nice clear treble without getting harsh. Perhaps this is a trait of the new models?

I did find a review online from Audioholics which you can view here:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/yamaha-rx-a2020-aventage

The review points to two features not being included on the 2020, namely Pandora and Sirius neither of which I have any knowledge of, as being major ommisions. The review is a little harsh in my opinion and when you factor into the equation the price I paid for it I can safely say I'm completely happy and content with my purchase and in my system it just sings.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
I find one thing annoying & wonder if its the same with latest Yams? The EQ options are OFF. Fine. EQ which allows u to alter each speakers frequency response in bands. Fine. PEQ which sets the equalization from the auto setup procedure. BUT u cant see nor adjust the PEQ. It would be nice to tweak the aettings but can only take it or leave it. I leave it because it always sounds to flat. I use EQ and adjust the centre to personal taste. No idea which parameters rhe PEQ adjusts but for the ambitious there is reverb, room size etc etc. Could be a lifetimes hobby!

Where are these settings Robin and how have you set yours? If you could provide an idiots guide for me at this stage on where to find them and what to adjust them to it would be greatly appreciated as I'm still learning the remote let alone all the settings, it's still a bit confusing as my Onkyo by comparison was basic with functions but then the Yamaha is 3 times the price so I would expect a miriad of functions and menus. What is PEQ by the way? Is that something to do with the YPAO set up?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
By the way everyone...today I ordered all the necessary bits and peices to add front height speakers to my set up so speaker brackets and banana plugs are on the way (already got the speaker wire) and will order another pair of Zensor 1's tomorrow so hopefully it's all here in time for the weekend. Only problem is it will mean more setting up and another calibration.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Gulp!

Just read the manual. Ignore my previous!

I'll advise you in a couple of years after I've read it all.

I WANT ONE !!

Will it improve on my V2065 ???

I STILL want one!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Gulp!

Just read the manual. Ignore my previous!

I'll advise you in a couple of years after I've read it all.

I WANT ONE !!

Will it improve on my V2065 ???

I STILL want one!

Tell me about it! 174 pages of confusion is a better name for it :O

What I have found so far is Parametric EQ in the manual speaker set up menu which I think is what you were refering to? It has 4 settings which are: Manual, YPAO Flat, YPAO Front, YPAO Natural and Through. Currently this is set to YPAO Flat which is how the auto set up left it but I have no idea which is the best option here but to my ears it's between YPAO Flat and YPAO Natural, Flat sounds more detailed with higher treble levels but natural is warmer with less treble but slightly more bass...overall I think Flat delivers the best sound for my taste.

Of course I may be wrong about that and someone else may be better placed to advise me but I'm also guessing it depends on your room conditions as to which mode sounds better??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts