Sports motion handling? Panasonic GT20/30 plasma or Samsung D7000 LED?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all - upgrading my 42 inch Panasonic PX70 plasma to a 46 inch 3D TV. mainly watch HD programming via Sky HD box, lots of football/rugby and movies.

Interested to know if the latest LED/LCD TVs such as the D7000 or D8000 from Samsung are now able to handle fast moving action such as football without the motion blur that used to plague earlier models of LCD TVs.

If yes - I may switch to LED/LCD.

If no, I'll stick with plasma and go with either a new Panasonic GT30 or try to pick up a deal on the outgoing GT20/VT20 (although I keep reading about a 50hz issue that impacts motion on those 2010 model sets too).

Any input appreciated.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
interbear,

I've still not seen a LCD/LED that beats plasma for motion with sports no matter how much you spend as the equivalent plasma will always come out on top in this regard BUT they have got alot closer in all other areas such as black levels, colour and contrast. If sport is the main concern then i would always go for plasma no question but i've very recently bought a Samsung 32" LED tv for the bedroom and i'm very happy with it but it does still suffer from some motion blur meaning sport is not great but in all other respects it gets very close indeed to my G20 plasma. They have vastly improved LCD and LED but for me it would be a plasma every time.
smiley-smile.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
With regard to the GT20, I'd be wary of floating blacks (changes in dynamic constrast that are not part of the programme), 50Hz motion (i.e. UK TV broadcasts) and the killer for me with the V20: buzzing/whining from the set that is very distracting watching at normal volume levels.

They're phenomenal TVs in almost every respect, but some owners have found it difficult to live with the above issues. I'd still concur with the comment above about plasma handling motion better than LCD. However much motion interpolation LCDs use to mask their inherent flaws, plasma cell respond faster. That said, some LCDS, especially Sony, have very effective motion processing technology, and plasmas have their own issues with motion (phosphor trails and dithering to mask posterisation, for example).

Your best bet is to see the sets in action, though I'd be wary of buzzing with the 2010 Panasonic plasmas, which probably won't be noticeable in store. Just pop in on a Saturday, when hopefully they'll be showing some football, and see what you think...

A

Anonymous

Hi - thanks for the input, much appreciated. I did go into a few stores to look at the Panasonic GT20 and new GT30. Generally looked good, especially blu-ray and 3D content, but I did see some strange blurring when the camera panned past faces (BBC HD). Not something I'm used to with my current Panasonic plasma and I'm not sure if this is the 50hz "issue" or something else but it was a wee bit offputting. Also saw the Samsung D8000 LED in action, but only in 3D/blu-ray - it was excellent but the store were unable to show me it with a normal TV feed (freeview, freesat or Sky) so I'm none the wiser in terms of TV broadcast motion handling. More research required! Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS