Spendor A5 or A6 with Cyrus 8SE d Qx?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

This is my first post here. [class="Apple-style-span"]I'll try to give all the info possible.[/class]

I'm buying Spendor speakers here in Brazil. They will be used in a 6 meter x 3 meter room. The room is a little bit irregular with a small home theater room with 2.5 meters x 2 meters attached.

I'll use them with a Cyrus 8SE d Qx, Cyrus XT CD Transport and Chord Signature speaker and digital cables.

and the question that's killing me is: should I buy the A5 or A6?

I hear a lot of Feist, Ben Harper, Death Cab for a Cuttie, Radiohead and so on. Love tight bass, but most of all voices and details.

I'll love to hear your thoughts. Really needing some help here. The dealer already has the A5 but he can order the A6 for me. And here in Brazil it's impossible to hear them.

Best Regards

Daniel

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Cant give you a definitive answer about the A6, but I can tell you I have the Cyrus 8xpd and Spendor A5, in a room a similar size to yours and this setup is fantastic! I would also suggest you try out the Cyrus 8SE CD player with a PSX-R attached to it, against the Cyrus XT transport. I preferred the former when testing a few weeks ago.

I believe Crossie on this forum also has the amp you have with Spendor A5.

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/479364.aspx

A

Anonymous

my impression is the A5 is a more successful design. The A6 is more fussy about positioning and has a strangely erratic base. Both have a nice pure mid-range for this budget.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I have a similar system to your proposed set up. I am loving the sound, I can't comment on the A6 but am finding my system with A5's totally engaging. I am listening to cd's that I know well and discovering beautiful sounds that I did not hear before. Cdxtse with 8xpdqx and A5 with a couple of psxr is simply spellbinding. I am hypnotised by the sound and find the hours slipping by (of course this could be the beer). I cannot fault the A5 although I have not heard the A6's. I think you are on a winner with either. You need to listen to both if possible - if not possible then I recommend te A5's.

A

Anonymous

The A5 sounds a bit darker than the A6. The latter sounds a bit more open as a result. Down to taste as much as anything.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

First of all, thank you very much for the quick answers! I'll get the A5! I'm a little bit conserned that the A6 being to much for my room size.

About the PSX-R, Crosie. I only got one to use with the 8SE d Qx. I thought that since the XT is only a CD transport it would not benefit with PSX-R. Am I wrong?

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
If you only have one psxr then I agree it is better on the amp. When funds allow get another for the cdxt as it does offer a small but significant improvement and will do stirling service when you upgrade to a cdxtse+.

Also make sure that you use the digital coax rather than the optical to connect the cdxt to the 8xpdqx, in my opinion.

Cheers

Crossie

A

Anonymous

I'll use the digital coax. Have you tested the others connections?

And by the way my Cyrus is the xtse+. Do you think I should order the PSX-R for it? Do you think it worth the money?

betamale

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I tried the 8SEd with A5's, A6's and B+W CM7 speakers. I found the A6 sacrificed some of the top end for more bass. The CM7 and A5 speakers had nothing really in them for me, both sounded well rounded and the only real deciding factor was looks/size. Having plumped for A5's and settled them in I would not want more bass anyway, it is very tight and pronounced.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts