Cyrus 8 DAC QX or Pre DAC and X Power

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I have decided to upgrade from my 6xp currently with PMC TB2+, I already have upgraded the speakers to GB1s and therefore my questions are two-fold.

1 regarding sound quality / control of the speakers

and

2 regarding the upgrade path (if at all necessary)

I know that either way I am going to enjoy the sound but as either option is going to cost roughly the same I am stumped.

I will be mostly playing FLAC/ALAC etc and on this front I thought the best option would be the QX DAC to get the best from such files. However I am unsure whether the 8 DAC QX will be more than enough to drive the GB1s. I think so but am also trying to future proof a move to FB1 or twenty 23 (or similar) in the following year maybe. FB1s shold be ok as they are more sensitive than their GB brothers.

I know the X Power and 8 DAC both put out 70w but I envisaged only needing another X Power for true bi-amping in the future if I go the Pre/Power route, however I would only do this if the speakers required it and not simply for an improvement in sound. If that makes sense.

I know people say that pre/power always sounds better than the integrated (well they seem to re Cyrus) but this is not a like for like as the other element is that QX card. And no I cannot get the Pre DAC QX as I would have done that.

My room is roughly 4x4.5 m and hardly go past half way on my current system or even on my previous one (Arcam A85/MA RS6).

Auditioning is not an option I am afraid either. I am confident that I am going to enjoy either system but am looking for some guidance as to which way to jump.

Thanks.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
My only thought is that the PMC GB1s, though rated at 87.0dB, are quite tough to drive IME. I realize that's not immediately helpful in your current predicament, but as far as the upgrade path is concerned, it might help.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Cheers Matt, no it isn't :D

It gives me something to think on though, so thanks. I have spent ages whittling it down to this choice and now I'm scratching my head like a good un!

I would like to move onto FB1s though, which are rated sensitivity wise as the same as my TB2+ which sound lovely through the 6xp. The helpful PMC man did advise though that the 6xp he regards as the minimum for these speakers. Sounds great to me so either option should be a big step up.

That doesn't help though! *dash1*

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I know the pre and power route allows for additional x power but would I need this? I don't want to upgrade in the future just for the sake of it.

Essentially would the 70w integrated handle the speakers as well as the 70w pre power combo?

I know the thinking is that pre power does sound better but offset that against the improved DAC of the 8 integrated with QX card.

Stumped.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
but then Cyrus themselves say this

"By taking over the preamplifier stage the PSX-R allows the integrated's internal power supply to focus on the power amplification circuitry. By effectively splitting the power supplies into pre and power sections the benefits of a separate pre/power system are achieved."

so I can have the benefits of a pre/power combo by adding a psx-r?

If in the future I wanted to bi-amp with the 8 DAC QX, adding an x power and a psx-r would be the same as having e Pre DAC and two x powers?

I'm confusing myself even more I think.

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I have heard great things about their new stereo 200 amp , g class hybrid delivering 200 watts; not heard it myself tho.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I have used an 8series integrated with PSX-R for a long time.

Imho it is quite remarkable what this regulated power supply does to an already excellent integrated (and CD players).

One of the reasons I have stayed away from the 6 series.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi

thanks guys. Without the ability to audition I went with what seems to be a general consensus in the Pre / Power being better in sound and for upgrading. I could add the QX at a later date but may not feel the need, but if I do....

Just have to wait for it to arrive now!

TRENDING THREADS