Spendor speakers with a Croft Phono Integrated amp?

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
(This is a continuation of a previous thread I posted a year ago. I was not sure If I would still get any respnoses so that is why I started this new one)

Ok,

So it has been a full year and I have yet to upgrade from my Proac Signature 2000's.

I think I have decided now that Spendor speakers are the way to go for me.

I was going to try out the Proac D18's or D1's but I have had Proacs for years now and time for something new. It's not possible for me to hear Harbeth unless I travel and attend a show so they are out as well.

Now that the A6R Spendors are coming out there are a few A6's selling second hand for relatively cheap. I heard a demo pair last weeknd and was impressed.

I first listened to the 3/5R2's tiny bookshelf ones and really liked them. They were small but had a certain charm about them, suprising bass, and a great soundstage.

After that I listened to the A6's. They had a similar charachter to the 3/5R2's but there was just more of everything. Just about everything was better and taken up a notch or two. More bass, more clarity, bigger sounding ect.

The only thing I liked a bit more about the 3/5R2's over the A6's was a slight tamming of sibilance and brightness. Could this be the difference between the 22mm tweeter vs the 29mm one? Or the higher crossover point in the 3/5R2's?

The A6's are just more revealing and this can be a good or a bad thing depending on the recording.

I even tried a pair of Linn Majik 109's after just to see about that treble sharpness of the A6's. Well, the Majik were not as bight in this vocal area and tamed everything down but they were also less revealing and ultimately more boring to listen to than either the 3/5R2's or the A6's.

So I decided that I could live with the greater clarity and revealing nature of the Spendors just because of all of the rewards I would get in return.

Anyways, I have a chance to buy these A6's at a good price. Also, there is a set of A5's for sale for a few hundered cheaper but I never heard them before.

So everyone the question is which ones would you buy and what works best with my Croft Phono Integrated amp in a slightly smallish room? The 3/5R2's brand new? A5's used? or the A6's used?

Thanks for the help!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry no one seems to have an opinion on the Spendors
smiley-frown.gif

I've only heard the A5 personally, a very nice small floor stander, but I prefer Harbeth and I did hear them with Croft, it's a combo many people enjoy.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts