Special mains cables yes or no?

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
No idea. I've always wanted to find out but every time I I think about buying one a part of my brain shouts "are you mad" at me. My guess is probably not but you never really know until you try these things out.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Professional hi-fi reviewers think yes, yes it is. So why are we discussing this? Just find the right cable for your system synergy.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

loneranger said:
Is a special mains cable like a Merlin MK6 really better than the standard cable? Is it the money worth?

Just think about it logically for a minute or two, then you'll have your answer.

If for some reason you decide that they will make your system sound better, I've got 1000 litres of snake oil available for only £300 a litre if you're interested?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
Vladimir said:
Professional hi-fi reviewers think yes, yes it is. So why are we discussing this? Just find the right cable for your system synergy.

Should not believe everything you read.

Not everything of course. Strictly what professionals write.

Also one should mind if the aftermarket power cord is UL or TUV listed and tested, otherwise you may lose insurance on the house and die in fire in the worst agony possibly while your skin melts.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
MrReaper182 said:
Vladimir said:

Also one should mind if the aftermarket power cord is UL or TUV listed and tested, otherwise you may lose insurance on the house and die in fire in the worst agony possibly while your skin melts.

Everyone a professional these days.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Vladimir said:
Professional hi-fi reviewers think yes

And of course, none of these 'professional' reviewers would ever want anything in return for these reviews. would they?

Behave yourself.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
MrReaper182 said:
Vladimir said:

I'm not sure there are many "professionals"! It's just about selling magazines and they just write what will achieve that.

Chris

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Well, I assume that Rick - the hifi dealer (derby?) is a good professional. He recommends a lot of good equipment and gives straightforward advice. He always advises good, basic multi-strand copper cable - ie - not expensive. If he doesn't know - who does?

tonky

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Vladimir said:
MrReaper182 said:
Vladimir said:

I'm not sure there are many "professionals"! It's just about selling magazines and they just write what will achieve that.

Chris

If you do work for which you get paid, you are a professional.

Competence is not an issue, look at the politicians currently in government if you want an example.

Well I got given a nice one along with a very nice terminal block, it looked nice and had the right number of sockets so, out of courtesy, I installed it in my system.

Did it make a difference to the sound? ...... No.

Does it look nice? ........Yes. So it's staying.

It's all about aesthetics don't you think? :)

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
Covenanter said:
Vladimir said:
MrReaper182 said:
Vladimir said:

Chris

Competence is not an issue, look at the politicians currently in government if you want an example.

They may be professional journalists, if such a term has any meaning, but that doesn't make them professional hifi reviewers.

Chris

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
davedotco said:
Covenanter said:
Vladimir said:
MrReaper182 said:
Vladimir said:

Chris

They may be professional journalists, if such a term has any meaning, but that doesn't make them professional hifi reviewers.

Chris

I truly consider them as poets and philosophers. If you have to write about a power brick as something organic like blue cheese, then you have a heart of a poet with a deep insight into the noumena that others don't. Anecdotal is simply more consumable, and voltamperes are as palatable as TrevC's tact.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
davedotco said:
Covenanter said:
Vladimir said:
MrReaper182 said:
Vladimir said:

Chris

Chris

You review hi-fi, you get paid for doing so, ergo you are a professional.

There are not, as far as I know, any qualifications from a 'professional body' that qualifies you as a hi-fi reviewer, but that is not quite the same thing.

I once asked Steve Harris, then editor of HiFi News, what he considered to be the primary rquirements of a hi-fi reviewer.

His answer was simple, "Get the copy in on time".

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
Well I got given a nice one along with a very nice terminal block, it looked nice and had the right number of sockets so, out of courtesy, I installed it in my system.

Did it make a difference to the sound? ...... No.

Does it look nice? ........Yes. So it's staying.

It's all about aesthetics don't you think? :)

Yes, indeed! That's why speaker cables are more important than mains leads...

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:
davedotco said:
Covenanter said:
Vladimir said:
MrReaper182 said:
Vladimir said:

Chris

Chris

Professional or not, I think HiFi reviewers fall prey to the same problems as the rest of us; being seduced by imagination, exaggeration and colouration. I don't believe they all have ill intent as some persons suggest. Often just like how the regular audiophile will opt to trust his ears (or more likely eyes) despite all evidence to the contrary, I think many reviewers are guilty of the same thing.

Note: I'm not saying no differences exist, but I believe some differences are straight up imagined, others are greatly exaggerated and some are just colouration to create a pleasing sound/house sound of a brand.

As for the OP's question - I suspect power cables fall somewhere in the Imagination to Exaggeration end of the spectrum, as I can't imagine how you'd use a power cable to colour the sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts