Headphone cables

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
After my post here on RCA interconnects I started to wonder why I haven't read much about headphone cables, and their pros and cons. I don't see many claims about shielding, conductor material etc. Is it because it is less important in this application?

Whilst I am here- is there a limit to the length of cable you can use with headphones? I have humble Ath M50x and would like to listen from my sofa, which is positioned for my speakers, about 3m from the headphone socket. Can I simply extend the cable with a connector?

Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I wouldn’t worry much at all. I can’t imagine a world where anything beyond a good quality basic cable is going to do anything for sound quality.

Any cable less than 5m won’t experience any high-end loss, so feel free to buy an extension or even just splice two cables together.

Reactions: DougK1

Horowitz

May 12, 2023
Visit site
After my post here on RCA interconnects I started to wonder why I haven't read much about headphone cables, and their pros and cons. I don't see many claims about shielding, conductor material etc. Is it because it is less important in this application?

Whilst I am here- is there a limit to the length of cable you can use with headphones? I have humble Ath M50x and would like to listen from my sofa, which is positioned for my speakers, about 3m from the headphone socket. Can I simply extend the cable with a connector?
I have to use a 10m extension cable and really don't notice any degradation. My listening position is probably only 3m away from my Uniti Atom HE as the crow flies, but unfortunately can't run the cable under the carpet. I have to run it up the room, across the end and then back to me, taped to the skirting boards!

Reactions: Revolutions

Gray

Try telling some headphone deciples that their cables are less important than anyone else's 🙂.

To avoid mishaps, best to route your extension cable round skirting - maybe use a 'P' clip to secure the socket.

Years ago I put a socket behind my Dad's chair for his TV listening.
He only needed mono (hence the 2 core cable) but any 3 core cable would do for standard (un'balanced') stereo headphones.

Cable round skirting / over doors very unobtrusive - you forget it's even there.
IMG_20240317_101123_MP.jpg

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
What a great idea, I wouldn't have thought of having a proper headphone socket to hand. When I decorate I need to seriously adress cable management in my study. I removed skirtings and routed the backs out to carry ethernet and phone cables through the house as we have metre thick stone walls. I'll do similar in the study, or as I told my wife, listening room.In the meantime I'll buy an extension lead, and bar both my wife and dogs from the study- usually my 85dB from the speakers does that:ROFLMAO:

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site

You can, but as others have advised, it may or may not affect the sound.

Alternately, buy a new cable the length that you need. I have previously used the following two companies;
- CustomCans
- Cxxnected

Of the two, I did prefer the latter.

DG…

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts