Speakers for cyrus amp

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Just bought a cyrus 8vs2 to replace the slightly dull sound I was getting on my Arcam A18. Hopefully this will work well with my mission 751 freedoms. Am interested if anyone can advise on any speakers that are likely to work with the amp significantly better than my existing ones, up to about the £450 mark (second hand considered)? Haven't yet picked up the amp, so not sure how it sounds - but am interested in your views.

thanks

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
See if you can find some kef r100's , the rrp is £600 so you should get some ex demos or second hand for your budget. I ran them with 8vs2 and they sounded great

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
These might be worth a listen:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/floorstanders/q-acoustics/2050i-gr/qaco-2050i-graph :dance:

It maybe worth adding a PSX-R to your amp:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CYRUS-PSX-R-Power-Supply-in-smooth-black-/191080622403?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item2c7d4ae943

rather than replacing your existing speakers. Of course once you start buying Cyrus shoeboxes there is no going back. :)

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, think i will hang on to the missions for a while and add either a power amp or psxr first. One thought had crossed my mind - would the original mission 751 speakers ie non-freedoms work better with the cyrus amp? I believe they had a metal tweeter that was more detailed, but would it sound too bright compared to the freedom versions? Thinking of this because I could probably sell my freedoms and buy the older version for about the same cost.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The older VS models were a little on the lean side, which, if paired with brighter sounding speakers, tended to produce a bright, even harsh sound to some people. It was the VS range that brought about the whole belief that all Cyrus products are bright full stop, which is a fallacy.

If you don't mind a lean sound, I'd look at the Sonus Faber Toys, which are a fantastic little speaker for the money, and look great. If you want a fuller sound, look at the Q Acoustics Concept 20, Monitor Audio Silver 1, or KEF R100.

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Have set up my new system comprising:

cyrus 8vs2 amp

pioneer n50 streamer

mission 751 freedom speakers

audioquest flexi 14/2 speaker cables (WHF award winners)

russ andrews kimber pbj (-11db attenuated) interconnects

The sound is exciting, fast etc. basically everything my old arcam a18 amp wasn't. However bass is somewhat lacking.

The mission speakers have a rear firing port and are about 8 or 9 inches from the wall, so surprised about the bass.

Just looking on eBay, it looks like you can get monitor audio rx1 and rx2 speakers for around the £300 mark. Alternatively b&w 685s can be had around the £200 mark. Would these improve things? Or would the power amp better assist? Can't afford the super expensive cyrus powers, so probably looking at a smartpower if any.

freedom1971

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I would personally avoid the MA's with your Cyrus amp. My experience is that B&W are a better match with Cyrus and I have used this combination in my main set up for over 12 years now and am still more than happy. I got hold of a pair of used Acoustic Energy 301's within your price range a while back, for use in a second system, and I am very impressed with them on the end of my Cyrus pre/power combo.

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
That's interesting. Had been considering the Acoustic Energys. The thing that put me off was that I couldn't see any info of them on cyrus equipment And it looks like they are single wire, so couldn't upgrade by adding a power amp and then biamp them.

B&W wise I had considered 685s and CM1 stand mount. Any idea of what may be better suited between those B&W options and the Acoustic Energy?

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Ah yes, saw that PMCs and ATCs tend to be recommended for cyrus kit. Very nice speakers, but as you say, too expensive.

Have seen the Dynaudio DM 2/6 speakers recommended for cyrus too. Any thoughts on these?

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Kellytm272 said:
B&W wise I had considered 685s and CM1 stand mount. Any idea of what may be better suited between those B&W options and the Acoustic Energy?

The new B&W 685 S2 is a very good speaker imo and a good match with Cyrus amplification.

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, they look great. Probably a bit out of my price range though. Realistically am looking closer to £300. Have seen the B&w 685s for just over £200 and CM1s a smudge over £300. Likewise the dynaudio DM 2/6 a smudge over £300 and MA RX2 at similar price. Going by previous posts, the MAs may be too bright.

Repositioned my Missions today, put them only a couple of inches from the wall, and the bass seems to have improved. Hadn't tried that before as it was well below the minimum recommended distance from the wall

atishaysingh

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Among these option dyna audio should be the best. Followed by the 685 s2. Not too sure how the treble wold behave though. But if you like the soumd a bit sharp B&W. I may be wrimg though as speakers have changed a bit...

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Saw the review of the new B&W speakers, they look great - just a little out of my price range. Wondering whether Mission 752s would be a good match? Only because I've seen them going on eBay for around the £200 mark. Mind you I've seen b&w 685s go for that price too. Any thoughts?

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Have pretty much settled on the Dynaudio DM 2/6 if I can get them. Although I have also seen the Acoustic Energy 301 for very good price. Has anyone got experience of them? Would they work well with cyrus?

freedom1971

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
For me the AE's are a no brainer, although I have not heard the Dynaudios. The AE's work brilliantly with my (ageing) Cyrus CD & Pre/Power combo and would expect them to also pair well with your 8vs2.

They are very flexible with positioning, due to the front firing slot port, and give a well extended & weighty bass response without ever becoming bloated or boomy, just tuneful and controlled. Mids & highs are clean, crisp and clear, and although could not be described as warm sounding speakers, I find them easy on the ear and involving with a wide open soudstage and excellent imaging. They perform well at low volumes too which is for me is a must.

They have superb build quality and fish, and personally I think they are pretty sexy looking too, but then I also think that of Nigella Lawson as well so each to his own! They would also benefit greatly with the addition of addition of a power amp or PSX-R to your 8vs2 in the future if you so wanted.

I have had or even just heard more speakers than I care to remember over the years and my main speakers are currently a pair of B&W 805S, which I love, but when I switch to the AE's I wonder to myself if I really need anything more.

Apologies if this is sounding like an advert and I'm sure some people may feel differently about them and prefer other speakers instead, I can only say that I love them and if you are buying blind then you can buy with confidence, I sure you will not be disappointed.

Good luck, whatever you decide on. ;)

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for that reply, very helpful. There is so little info on the net, so glad to hear from you.

I think that my short list is down to two now! I will see what price I can get the dynaudio a for and the acoustic Energys. By the reviews those speakers get, either will be great :) Thanks

OperaChimp

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I see your post is from earlier this year and was wondering which direction you decided to go in?

I also wanted to second Crossie's suggestion that you try a psx-r with your 8vs2.

I added a psx-r to my own 8vs2 recently and it was huge improvement in my system, fleshing out the sound, adding punch and smoothing off the top end.

Previously the treble could sound glassy and harsh, and I quickly tired of listening at volume.

Adding the psx-r changed that, and now I find myself turning up the volume rather than the other way round.

Please do update on where you decide to upgrade, particularly on speakers.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Kellytm272 said:
Just bought a cyrus 8vs2 to replace the slightly dull sound I was getting on my Arcam A18. Hopefully this will work well with my mission 751 freedoms. Am interested if anyone can advise on any speakers that are likely to work with the amp significantly better than my existing ones, up to about the £450 mark (second hand considered)? Haven't yet picked up the amp, so not sure how it sounds - but am interested in your views.

thanks

Most of the speakers quoted in this thread will work fairly well with Cyrus. Word of warning though. Do not choose EB2s. For some reason they just do not gel with Cyrus 8. Fine with 6 but not 8. Working on that problem as we speak. Until I've sussed it, I don't recommend them.

Richard Allen said:
Kellytm272 said:

thanks

Most of the speakers quoted in this thread will work fairly well with Cyrus. Word of warning though. Do not choose EB2s. For some reason they just do not gel with Cyrus 8. Fine with 6 but not 8. Working on that problem as we speak. Until I've sussed it, I don't recommend them.

Now you will not find many manufacturers being that honest.

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
The older VS models were a little on the lean side, which, if paired with brighter sounding speakers, tended to produce a bright, even harsh sound to some people. It was the VS range that brought about the whole belief that all Cyrus products are bright full stop, which is a fallacy.

If you don't mind a lean sound, I'd look at the Sonus Faber Toys, which are a fantastic little speaker for the money, and look great. If you want a fuller sound, look at the Q Acoustics Concept 20, Monitor Audio Silver 1, or KEF R100.

I would agree about the Sonus Faber Toys as I used to have them and borrowed a friends Cyrus amp to try with them. I think it was the same amp you have and it sounded very nice indeed with the SF Toys. It certainly sounded better with them than the Musical Fidelity amp I had at the time.

James

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

Just to say thanks for all the great advice. I've just had a pair of Dynaudio DM 2/6's delivered, and set them up last night.

Only had a 15 minute or so listen so far, but the sound is a definite improvement over my missions. More detail, less harsh, more controlled bass. Bass can still boom a bit, though not as much, but i have foam plugs to experiment with.

Thanks again. Guess the next future upgrades will be along the lines of power amp/ monobolcs , psx-r, pre-amp. Roughly in that order.

Tim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts