SPEAKER POSITION IN A SEMI DETATCHED?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI GUYS GIVING UP MY VICTORIAN PARTY PAD SOON AND GETTING A NEW SEMI DETATCHED,WHICH WAY SHOULD I POSITION MY SPEAKERS FOR LEAST EFFECT AS FAR AS NEXT DOOR GOES ? TOWARDS THEM (OPP WALL) OR BACKED UP TO THEM (PARTY WALL)...I HAVE PROAC TABLETTES ON CS STANDS...ARCAM A65,P80 CD72...THANKS TOM

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Yes, well... "PARTY PAD" (and the 'shouting' as the_lhc pointed out) sort of tells me which way this is going to go whichever way around the speakers are placed.

More importantly, do the neighbours have young children or work shifts? Are they elderly? Is your 'PARTYING' frequent and does it tend to run late into the night?

Is the next house an older building with thick cavity walls made from brick? Or is it something newer and less substantial where noise will transmit easily?

SteveR750

Having got divorced last year I live in a semi with walls that have the sonic opacity of air after years of a nice shiny new large detached house where the limiting factor really was the current output of my NAD amps over the years. I did live in a newly built semi and that wasn;t much better than the 1930s place I'm in now, but unless you have accommodating or deaf neighbours a good system will rarely be used to its potential, and it really makes no difference where you put the speakers.

Why most semis are built with their lounges adjacent and entrance hallways separated I do not know, unless its felt that having your entrance door as far as possible from your neighbours is a *good thing*. I have been looking for a place to move to for a while where the lounge / living areas are on the external walls of the semi block, so at least there is a an extra layer of cardboard isolation....

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have Tablettes in my kitchen on the wall. The wall backs onto my living room. I've never noticed any bass boom through the wall even though they are rear ported. Therefore I would face them away from the neighbours.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Or you could try a false stud partition wall with say 10" of felt cladding in between (not forgetting under the floor boards in the room above) should help things along. Dreamt about that many a time but sadly not my house to try it.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750:

Having got divorced last year I live in a semi with walls that have the sonic opacity of air after years of a nice shiny new large detached house where the limiting factor really was the current output of my NAD amps over the years. I did live in a newly built semi and that wasn;t much better than the 1930s place I'm in now, but unless you have accommodating or deaf neighbours a good system will rarely be used to its potential, and it really makes no difference where you put the speakers.

Why most semis are built with their lounges adjacent and entrance hallways separated I do not know, unless its felt that having your entrance door as far as possible from your neighbours is a *good thing*. I have been looking for a place to move to for a while where the lounge / living areas are on the external walls of the semi block, so at least there is a an extra layer of cardboard isolation....

So true - we've been in our 70s semi for 25 years now, and we still love it - but that's partly because I was fairly persistent about finding one with outside lounges. I'm rather obsessive about noise from neighbours (hey, I'm a fully paid up Grumpy Old Git), but equally about not causing a similar nuisance to others. Having concrete floors as well means that, touch wood, we've had no problems or complaints in all that time. I think though that the day is coming soon for a move to a nice detached, and really being able to unleash the system!

A

Anonymous

Prob didnt explain fully but my houseparty days are over i,m in my forties with a young son so midnights very late for me,like to turn it up now and again for an hour or so with as little intrusion to others as poss...

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
I live in a semi detached with my Tannoy DC6T and Tannoy TS12 sub, going upstairs and to other rooms of the house can prove the position of the speakers will make no difference at all, THe TS12 shakes the entire house!! But luckily myu neighbour is Deaf...RESULT !! However, what must go on in her head when the sub frequencies kick in on Genesis When in Roam !!! She must think she lives in San Francisco !

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
umbucker:I live in a semi detached with my Tannoy DC6T and Tannoy TS12 sub, going upstairs and to other rooms of the house can prove the position of the speakers will make no difference at all, THe TS12 shakes the entire house!! But luckily myu neighbour is Deaf...RESULT !! However, what must go on in her head when the sub frequencies kick in on Genesis When in Roam !!! She must think she lives in San Francisco !

Suggests to me you're running the sub level way too high.

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
I have my crossover set to 40Hz, I would say its more depth than volume. That said I listen to my misic at rather a high volume so I think its more that everything is set high :) eg sub frequencies from a live venue are likley to be bias from another room with out neceserally being set too high in the mix

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I was going to start a new post but reckoned I'd tag along here instead.

I live in a detached house with pretty thick walls and solid doors but in the coming months we're having a further extension built which will mean the layout and functionality of our living space will change.

The hi-fi currently, and rather regally, occupies the largest room, but this is going to change with a shift to a dedicated but far from purpose built "music" room. Smaller, rectangular but potentially ideal.

As this hifi room will be adjacent to the main family lounge area there will be (many) occasions when my wife and oldest daughter will be watching TV whilst I'm listening to music. What's the best way to insulate the room?

I've had a cursory glance online but know next to nothing about what would work inside a house. Our builder says he will "research" some possible solutions and prices, but says he hasn't any specific experience of such work.

Any advice anyone?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts