Question Speaker connection

suburbansky

Mar 15, 2022
Visit site
I have a quick question regarding speaker wiring: The plugs of my banana speaker cables are too long for the sockets of both my amp and speakers, so some of the metal remains bare (see picture 1). Is this a problem, should I get shorter plugs?

Also, since there is quite a bit of electrical juice flowing through these wires I've used some plastic cable tubes to cover the bare parts speakersides (see picture 2) as to prevent touching by my toddler - good idea or not?

IMG_20220731_150314720.jpgIMG_20220731_150305737.jpg

camcroft

I have a quick question regarding speaker wiring: The plugs of my banana speaker cables are too long for the sockets of both my amp and speakers, so some of the metal remains bare (see picture 1). Is this a problem, should I get shorter plugs?

Also, since there is quite a bit of electrical juice flowing through these wires I've used some plastic cable tubes to cover the bare parts speakersides (see picture 2) as to prevent touching by my toddler - good idea or not?

View attachment 3818View attachment 3819
My Banana plugs are exactly the same and it's not a problem. Regarding the electricity from the wire I took this statement from google just to be on the safe side.
It's perfectly understandable that the idea of electrically wiring anything might make someone nervous, but the truth is that the amount of power that actually flows into speaker wire is generally far too little to cause actual harm – or even notice for that matter – if you did manage to get “shocked.”

Reactions: suburbansky

suburbansky

Mar 15, 2022
Visit site
My Banana plugs are exactly the same and it's not a problem. Regarding the electricity from the wire I took this statement from google just to be on the safe side.
It's perfectly understandable that the idea of electrically wiring anything might make someone nervous, but the truth is that the amount of power that actually flows into speaker wire is generally far too little to cause actual harm – or even notice for that matter – if you did manage to get “shocked.”

Thanks for the speedy reply... That's what I thought, too, but I still found/find it odd the plugs were so long (I'm a newbie to bananas, have used bare wire so far.).

Still, I think I leave the plastic tubes in place for now - no need to provoke extra tears. 😁

Denon PMA 1600 amp and Triangle Borea BR09 speakers.
,Banana plugs tend to be, in general, of a fixed length that will fit completely, depth wise, into a socket.
I think your sockets should open up to accept the full length of those bananas.
Have you unscrewed those connections before inserting the bananas?
If the Denon fittings are anything like my old Rotel amps fittings you need to do this.

Last edited:

suburbansky

Mar 15, 2022
Visit site
So I've just checked: It's physically impossible to insert the plugs any further into the amp. The sockets end about where the tip of the cable must be (in picture 1). So should I just leave it at that? Switch to spades?

So I've just checked: It's physically impossible to insert the plugs any further into the amp. The sockets end about where the tip of the cable must be (in picture 1). So should I just leave it at that? Switch to spades?
If you’re worried about the low voltage, then metal speaker terminals don’t help! Many amps have relatively shallow sockets, to make the chassis neater and probably to save a few pennies.

As mentioned already, afaik all banana plugs are a similar length. I think Al means to unscrew the sockets, so the rotating part shields the plugs - but as everything is metal, I’m not sure it really makes a difference.

Gray

No need to worry about electric shocks, but it doesn't hurt to do what you've done - and have some protection from dust ingress.
My plugs left about 3mm exposed at the speaker end....but I would have covered everything come what may.
I used 19mm transparent heat shrinkable sleeving.
Amp end for me uses BFA plugs, which are another story.
IMG_20220801_114545_MP.jpg

If you’re worried about the low voltage, then metal speaker terminals don’t help! Many amps have relatively shallow sockets, to make the chassis neater and probably to save a few pennies.

As mentioned already, afaik all banana plugs are a similar length. I think Al means to unscrew the sockets, so the rotating part shields the plugs - but as everything is metal, I’m not sure it really makes a difference.
No, that's not what I meant, unscrewing would loosen the clamping on some makes of amplifiers and this clamping force is necessary

Beg your pardon. I obviously misunderstood.
No problem at all I just thought I'd the OP was trying to force the bananas into a socket that wasn't completely unscrewed it might not go in as far as it was designed to.
As banana plugs are a fairly standard length it seems pointless for amplifier manufacturers to add sockets that cannot accommodate them.

Last edited:

suburbansky

Mar 15, 2022
Visit site
The pma 1600ne is my dream amplifier. I have the pma 800ne and think it is already pretty good. How do you find this big beast? Did you need to get a bigger rack/shelf to accommodate it?

Haven't spent much time with it, yet, and I have yet to test its DAC... but so far I'm pretty thrilled! It seems to have massive power (much more than I would ever sensibly need) and sounds very sophisticated: To my ears, it sets a great stage where you can easily spot all the instruments, and you feel as if you got front row seats. Full recommendation!

It is pretty big, though. I held on to my former "rack" (actually an IKEA affair 🙈) but put the amp on top instead of inside (bottom right), as with my former device. The Denon MIGHT just have fitted inside but I prefer this setup.

IMG_20220804_095558234.jpg

IMG_20220804_095546716.jpg

Gray

Haven't spent much time with it, yet, and I have yet to test its DAC... but so far I'm pretty thrilled! It seems to have massive power (much more than I would ever sensibly need) and sounds very sophisticated: To my ears, it sets a great stage where you can easily spot all the instruments, and you feel as if you got front row seats. Full recommendation!

It is pretty big, though. I held on to my former "rack" (actually an IKEA affair 🙈) but put the amp on top instead of inside (bottom right), as with my former device. The Denon MIGHT just have fitted inside but I prefer this setup.

View attachment 3831

View attachment 3832
Glad you're happy.
Not sure if it's a temporary thing for you, but I would have to re-locate the Node.
(Even minimal heat rising from the amp is 100% more than than the Node needs).

suburbansky

Mar 15, 2022
Visit site
Glad you're happy.
Not sure if it's a temporary thing for you, but I would have to re-locate the Node.
(Even minimal heat rising from the amp is 100% more than than the Node needs).

Yeah, it will go onto a wall-mounted single-floor shelf above everything else.

I take it you have no scope for moving the speakers further away from the wall and from your system?

Still in the experimental phase with that... I can move the left speaker (the one visible in the photos) further away from both the wall and the system, but the other one is quite limited. Still needs consideration - for now, I'm happy to be able to listen to music. ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts