Spade Plugs for Old Style Amp Terminals

Witterings

I'm trying to find out if any of the spade cable connectors work with the now older style amplifier terminals as per the picture.

Where my stereo is it's a complete pain to access / get the bare wires into the terminals and would have thought if there is such a thing itds make it a whole lot easier and something that converted the old terminals to female banana plugs would be even better still.

I'd attached a pic below of the type of terminal I mean.

Attachments

• Speaker Posts.jpg
    Speaker Posts.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 13
I haven’t seen them often, but I recall it’s possible to choose ‘pins’ as a speaker cable termination. They should fit your old sockets, as does stripped wire.

I guess you need a short length of ‘bare wire to banana socket’ x 2 to sort it out.

Witterings

It looks a lot like my old Technics amplifier connections.
I believe that they are meant to take bare wires.
I cannot see where a spade connector could be inserted.

It would have to be narrow enough to go through the gap but as I then think this through further if it was it may not be wide enough to then go round the outside of the center pin.

Shame they don't actually completely undo / come off, it'd be much easier to then just shape the wire into a crescent / semi circle that went round the pin and then put the bit that unscrews back on.

Witterings

Something like these should do it: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233973505046?

Similar designs are available.

eBay or Amazon have them in stock.

Ahhh ... OK ... I've seen those before but never looked at them in detail, I've "assumed" (Rule 1 - Never assume) when it says banana plug they were the standard 4mm type but looking at them in more detail it seems they're much "thinner" and would fit in.

Do you happen to know if the end can be "shaped" .... i.e. bent a bit more or not, either way they look like a good option so thank you!

Please send photos of back of those terminals. Don't they have a hole to take banana plugs as well as bare wire?
anyway, surely you can slide amp forward then attach bare wires then slide it back? Maybe not.
if it's difficult to attach bare wires it will be difficult to attach anything surely?

WayneKerr

Ahhh ... OK ... I've seen those before but never looked at them in detail, I've "assumed" (Rule 1 - Never assume) when it says banana plug they were the standard 4mm type but looking at them in more detail it seems they're much "thinner" and would fit in.

Do you happen to know if the end can be "shaped" .... i.e. bent a bit more or not, either way they look like a good option so thank you!
I think they are instead of a bare wire connection so yes are thinner than std banana plugs. As for how pliable they are, not sure, maybe get 8 and try bending some :)

Reactions: Gray

Witterings

Please send photos of back of those terminals. Don't they have a hole to take banana plugs as well as bare wire?
anyway, surely you can slide amp forward then attach bare wires then slide it back? Maybe not.
if it's difficult to attach bare wires it will be difficult to attach anything surely?

Unfortunately not, I did double check as I've loads of spare banana plugs if needed so would have been my easiest option and if they were easy to get to I would of sent photo's of the ones I had rather than finding the most comparable picture I could on the internet :).

That aside I've so many other bits plugged in that would be a pain to move, and whilst "I can" release the speaker cables to make them longer so they'd reach if I pulled it forward .... this isn't easy to do and is probably 95% of why I'm looking at other options.
A lot of it's my fault I've made a rod for my own back for sure (placement of the amp was a bit out of my hands though) as your's are all good suggestions if it wasn't in such an awkward place to get to so thank you.

I think they are instead of a bare wire connection so yes are thinner than std banana plugs. As for how pliable they are, not sure, maybe get 8 and try bending some :)

I was going to grab a set of 8 as I have a 2nd amp they'd be useful for if they work well and again is awkward to get to.
That said I think an awful lot of people tuck an amp against a wall thinking it'll help conceal wires, but also want to attach loads of bits (thinking AVR with DVD / Blueray, HDR, Android / Sky Box, and Stereo amp ... CD / Phono/Steamer/DAC) plugged in so try and tuck them out of site so to get to the back of any of them is normally awkward.
I'll see how easily they go in (they may be set to the perfect angle) and then try a "gentle bend" if I think it may help :giggle:

Years ago I dropped something into the guttering drainage I desperately wanted to retrieve. I went to the local hardware store and found a small mirror on an extendable pole like the old fashioned car radio aerials and it's my go to tool for plugging new equipment into the back of amps without having to pull them out .... that said it doesn't work for every situation like the one I currently have.

Again ... cheers for everyone's help, much and always appreciated!!!

Reactions: WayneKerr

AJM1981

Spades are initially designed for a quick plug and play solution for these kind of historical binding posts (they fit like a glove). This is meant for when you want to change amps over short periods of time.. for example to demo them in a hifi store. It is just to prevent that bare wire is grinded and strands are lost from time to time.

sprzedam-wzmacniacz-pioneer-sa-5300-jaktorow-kolonia-554692702.jpg

Spades are initially designed for a quick plug and play solution for these kind of historical binding posts (they fit like a glove). This is meant for when you want to change amps over short periods of time.. for example to demo them in a hifi store. It is just to prevent that bare wire is grinded and strands are lost from time to time.

sprzedam-wzmacniacz-pioneer-sa-5300-jaktorow-kolonia-554692702.jpg
Unfortunately spades aren't going to fit his binding posts.....

Witterings

Unfortunately spades aren't going to fit his binding posts.....

Yes you're right .... I've ordered some of what WayneKerr (is that your actual name?) suggested above and should be here in the next couple of days.

I also found these in researching following his suggestion

I may find a 4 pack of those from somewhere as well and see which is easiest to fit.

Gray

Yes you're right .... I've ordered some of what WayneKerr (is that your actual name?) suggested above and should be here in the next couple of days.

I may find a 4 pack of those from somewhere as well and see which is easiest to fit.

Those ones are unnecessarily expensive.
These are the ones I bought (to use instead of bare wires into springclip terminals on a little class D amp):
I needed to shorten mine.
They might bend sufficiently for you - as a quarter / half- circle (rather than full loop) might be all your terminals will accept from their single entry points.
....although those ones in your link do seem to have much more bendable wire 'pins'.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

WayneKerr

No it's not my actual name :) Used to go under DougK for many years but had some issues on here so I left, when I returned the new pseudonym seemed more fitting so I kept it :)

I could be wrong but the two item links you have provided could be just as problematic as a bare speaker cable connection, methinks you need something solid. Let us know how you get on (y)

Reactions: Hugh Jarse and Gray
No it's not my actual name :) Used to go under DougK for many years but had some issues on here so I left, when I returned the new pseudonym seemed more fitting so I kept it :)

I could be wrong but the two item links you have provided could be just as problematic as a bare speaker cable connection, methinks you need something solid. Let us know how you get on (y)
Good to have you back ex-DougK....

Reactions: Gray and nopiano

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site

I work for Openreach and many years ago (As the Post Office) we used equipment from this company...
Wayne Kerr Electronics | Home

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts