Question Amp won't take thicker speaker wire

Peadar

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
I’ve recently resurrected my 1980s Dual turntable and have forgotten what little I ever knew about HiFi! I was intending to get some 16 gauge speaker wire (c.11 metres x 2) to complete the system, but my JVC amplifier has four spring-loaded levers for speaker connection and the speaker wire will need to be pretty thin to fit in the holes securely.

I’m guessing 16 gauge wouldn’t fit. If so, would I need 18 gauge and miniature (2mm) banana plugs? Or is there any way to convert the levers to take normal 4mm banana plugs? Is thinner wire a significant disadvantage - and how can you tell from an amplifier spec on paper that it won’t take thicker wire and 4mm plugs?

Gray

....is there any way to convert the levers to take normal 4mm banana plugs?
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Your speaker cables are long so ideally you want thicker cable.....though in reality you may not notice an audible difference.

I bought some 2mm adaptors (2mm pins that take thicker cables) for a Lepy 2020A amp - which has springclip terminals.
OK, but not the best solution.

Might be a faff to fit 4mm terminal posts, but it would be possible.....(if the amp was decent enough, I'd make sure it was possible 👍).

What model JVC amp is it?

Reactions: Peadar
You can be pretty sure that before 1980 you’d be looking at not much beefier than bell wire for speakers. Well, maybe twin flex like you’d wire up a bedside light with.

As Gray says, there are ‘pin’ type connectors for those old spring-clip terminals, but I’m not sure how easily found they are nowadays. QED make a 42-strand cable that I recall buying for a home cinema setup a few years back. That should work.

Reactions: Peadar

Peadar

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Your speaker cables are long so ideally you want thicker cable.....though in reality you may not notice an audible difference.

I bought some 2mm adaptors (2mm pins that take thicker cables) for a Lepy 2020A amp - which has springclip terminals.
OK, but not the best solution.

Might be a faff to fit 4mm terminal posts, but it would be possible.....(if the amp was decent enough, I'd make sure it was possible 👍).

What model JVC amp is it?
It's a JVC AX-E700BK, from the late 1980s. The holes seem to be 2mm. Sounds like 2mm adaptors might be the way to go - something like these?

Gray

It's a JVC AX-E700BK, from the late 1980s. The holes seem to be 2mm. Sounds like 2mm adaptors might be the way to go - something like these?
Any of the above suggestions would work for you.
(The type with long pins, need their pins shortened, which is easy enough).

As you haven't already got cable, the 42 strand QED (or equivalent), being 1.25mm would be a good choice (once all strands were within the hole).

Looking at a picture of the rear of your amp, I'd be modifying it - but I like a challenge and don't care how involved things get.
There are 2 screws (either side of the springclip assembly) - once removed, the (horrible) connectors will pull out (from inside the amp).
You'll then have a square hole in the metal back panel. You could run your choice of cable into the amp and hard wire it - if only by 'chocblock' terminals to the wire that originally connected to the back of the spring clips.

If I was doing it, I'd check if there's clearance behind the 'Caution' labelling to the left of the square.
If there is, you've got enough room to widen the square hole - or just cover the large area with a hardboard panel - then fit 4 nice, 4mm terminal posts.

Although these are all you need for neat acceptance of 4mm banana plugs
They require the amp's internal wires to be soldered on:

There's a good chance that 4 of those Deltron sockets would fit without the need to cut or drill any metal back panel.
You'd just need a small strip of something to mount them to - secured by nuts and bolts through the holes where the self-tappers were.

4 sockets cost under £6 and the fact that the terminals are near the top of the back panel, makes modification access a lot easier than it could have been (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr and oldie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts