Is always thicker better? [Cable & Speaker Synergy]

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davidf said:
nopiano said:
Maybe placebo will work, then!?
Sorted!

Just get the wife to say that while you were out she has sorted the 70Hz issue, hey presto, it's gone! Best answer so far nopiano :)

Wives cost more than cheapo thin wire.

If you guys look at the graph I posted (#23), 50-100Hz is where wire resistance based on gauge affects sound the most. I just got a backup cable this morning. A no name 16 AWG CCA 6ft long and will try that if I hear no difference when the nice 16 AWG OFC arrives. I can confirm the internal wiring of the speaker is 16 AWG, so hmm, maybe I should have gone for 18 AWG solid core. I have old CAT5 wires if it comes to that.

Currently I'm high on alcohol and potentiometer cleaning spray (with mineral oil), but the amp looks great and pots/switches action is now very crisp and nice. That Roksan amp I had was so boring, just playing music. It even had a remote. Rubbish.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I tried all wires I could find in my box-o'cables and it all sounds pretty much the same, the boom is still there unaffected.

b10a426328b7c82f5abe081ec44ce614b612dec303943db8032e6016b2db6cb5.jpg

Anyways. Thanks for reading.

insider9

Vladimir said:
 I tried all wires I could find in my box-o'cables and it all sounds pretty much the same, the boom is still there unaffected.

It's likely the long decay times and no so much the higher sound pressure. Which is the room characteristics, sadly.

From what I've read the areas where there are differences in cable performance based on resistance are most pronounced where there are impedance extremes (usually dips). Otherwise the differences are minimal. But like I said earlier at that price you're not risking much.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:

It's likely the long decay times and no so much the higher sound pressure. Which is the room characteristics, sadly.

From what I've read the areas where there are differences in cable performance based on resistance are most pronounced where there are impedance extremes (usually dips). Otherwise the differences are minimal. But like I said earlier at that price you're not risking much.

Maybe I'd hear something if I used a 200m roll of the worst 18 AWG cable. 2m cables obviously nothing.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Sort out your one noter and you might start hearing the benefits in £200+ cables ;)
I hear improvements from Kimber 8TC on just about any speaker. Can't borrow one any more, perhaps I should buy me one.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
RA does 60 day returns :)
I don't live in the UK and I already have used one on loan from a mate, so I know it's good.
In my vintage setup I'm not pushing any extremes. 50W amp, 1.5mm cable, works great so far. I'll retire the unsightly 4 and 6 mm ones.

Sorry to read that it didn't work, and many thanks for posting those interesting graphs.

At the time, I didn't perceive too much change in overall response, as I mentioned above, but it just seemed smoother with DNM. I've still got the speaker wires somewhere, and would gladly post them to you if they might help. Does sound as though wires won't solve your problem though.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Sorry to read that it didn't work, and many thanks for posting those interesting graphs.

At the time, I didn't perceive too much change in overall response, as I mentioned above, but it just seemed smoother with DNM. I've still got the speaker wires somewhere, and would gladly post them to you if they might help. Does sound as though wires won't solve your problem though.

I'm affraid it doesn't change at all. I'll have to fess up and do room rearrangements next spring, integrate a bass trap since I have this issue with all speakers. Even the little B&W CM1s boomed in that corner. But I really do appreciate the offer. Cheers *yes3*

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
To the moon. Than understand every thing that's been said here...I've stupidly spent a fortune on cables supposed to be good...and now I read that gauge and impedance make an impact on frequency response. I always thought that the wires were the stupid part..but now IAM really confused

Big time too..

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I guess you are the most knowledgeable person to shed some light . I bought some supra ply 3.4 to be laid inside the flooring of my new home..I've never heard them

I've always used the cheapest cables I've found with good results. But those supras once laid..will connect the PMC's with the parasound halo..is there something IAM gonna miss in this combination owing to the cables...thanks to let me know please.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
newlash09 said:
I guess you are the most knowledgeable person to shed some light . I bought some supra ply 3.4 to be laid inside the flooring of my new home..I've never heard them

I've always used the cheapest cables I've found with good results. But those supras once laid..will connect the PMC's with the parasound halo..is there something IAM gonna miss in this combination owing to the cables...thanks to let me know please.

That's a quality screened cable. You won't know how everything will sound untill you hear it. Biggest influence on sound will be the room interacting with the speakers and your listening position. Once you have everything runing the forum will gladly pitch with suggestions on sound improvements based on your experience.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
That was very reassuring. Due to configuration of the room and my setup. Those two speakers cables for the L&R speakers will cross each other. Will this be okay...or will there be any sonic interference because of this.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
newlash09 said:
That was very reassuring. Due to configuration of the room and my setup. Those two speakers cables for the L&R speakers will cross each other. Will this be okay...or will there be any sonic interference because of this.

Screened cable should have absolutely no issues. Good choice.
thumbs_up.png

Vladimir said:
newlash09 said:

Looking here, it suggests the 3.4s is screened, but not the plain 3.4. I'm not sure it matters at all, but I was curious so looked it up.

http://www.supracables.co.uk/speakercables/spkrply.html

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Vladimir said:
newlash09 said:

Looking here, it suggests the 3.4s is screened, but not the plain 3.4. I'm not sure it matters at all, but I was curious so looked it up.

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Vladimir said:
nopiano said:
Vladimir said:
newlash09 said:

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.
We had better not tell newlash then!

Vladimir said:
Gazzip said:
Would you not just DSP its ass out of your room? Glad to hear you are moving back to hi fi from head fi.
Hmm couldn't figure out how to DSP google chromecast audio.

BTW more good info on how inadequate speaker gauge can affect sound available here.
Roger Russel writes clearly and in detail. I've seen various articles before. He is essentially an engineer type and therefore a cable sceptic. I think I'm veering more his way as I age, but presume my reducing hi frequency perception might be to blame!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Vladimir said:
Gazzip said:
Would you not just DSP its ass out of your room? Glad to hear you are moving back to hi fi from head fi.
Hmm couldn't figure out how to DSP google chromecast audio.

BTW more good info on how inadequate speaker gauge can affect sound available here.
Roger Russel writes clearly and in detail. I've seen various articles before. He is essentially an engineer type and therefore a cable sceptic. I think I'm veering more his way as I age, but presume my reducing hi frequency perception might be to blame!

Have you read the section "When Differences Can be Heard" and following "Amplifier Stability and Amplifier Performance", it reveals the secret sauce of cable manufacturers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts