Plugs or bare wire? (speaker cable)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Quite a few companies say the connector is more important than the cable itself.

These companies are not connector companies either.
I have done my own testing and know what I prefer. Wbt next gen connectors are very good and easy to use generally requiring no soldering.
They take the piddle with the price of their crimping tool but it does work well if you are using stranded wire.
They are also not cheap but will last a lifetime and you can move them to new cable easy enough

K

keeper of the quays

My little sonic impact (temp?) set up..makes a nonsense of cables and connectors..i have half a cable into very poor spring clips..horrid plasticky mini jack to rca into poor fitting on t amp..needs a jiggle to go thru both speakers! Lol..but the sound is great? Why? Surely gold plated quality binding posts..high quality connectors would make for better sound? Seems not?

TrevC

keeper of the quays said:
My little sonic impact (temp?) set up..makes a nonsense of cables and connectors..i have half a cable into very poor spring clips..horrid plasticky mini jack to rca into poor fitting on t amp..needs a jiggle to go thru both speakers! Lol..but the sound is great? Why? Surely gold plated quality binding posts..high quality connectors would make for better sound? Seems not?

People just like to faff around and obsess over things that don't matter. As long as the connection is actually made it will sound fine.

TrevC said:
keeper of the quays said:

People just like to faff around and obsess over things that don't matter. As long as the connection is actually made it will sound fine.

Quality binding posts, however plated, simply mean you can use heavier cables if you are so inclined.

gasolin

It seem a bit *crazy* when you can buy 8 rhodium bfa/banan or spade for under 100$,even under 100€

that someone like wbt makes banana plugs for 300£ for 8 if theres really no difference as long as they use the same material like gold or rhodium

I bet in even the most expensive systems they won't use the cheap ones for less the 100£ for 8 even when theres no difference in sound

Wouldn't it be much easier to make terminals on the speaker (and amp) that makes the connection between the speaker and and therminal perfect without using some kind of banana plugs, just connect the bare wire into the speaker/amp, tighten it and theres a perfect connection between the speaker and amp

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
gasolin said:
It seem a bit *crazy* when you can buy 8 rhodium bfa/banan or spade for under 100$,even under 100€

that someone like wbt makes banana plugs for 300£ for 8 if theres really no difference as long as they use the same material like gold or rhodium

?

I bet in even the most expensive systems they won't use the cheap ones for less the 100£ for 8 even when theres no difference in sound

?

Wouldn't it be much easier to make terminals on the speaker (and amp) that makes the connection between the speaker and and therminal perfect without using some kind of banana plugs, just connect the bare wire into the speaker/amp, tighten it and theres a perfect connection between the speaker and amp

Why don't you contact some of the companies that choose the expensive wbt over the much cheaper alternatives of which they are many and ask them why they use them.

It doesn't help their profit margin to put them in and how often are they used as a sales tool for a product?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts