Is always thicker better? [Cable & Speaker Synergy]

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Vladimir said:
nopiano said:
Vladimir said:
Gazzip said:
Would you not just DSP its ass out of your room? Glad to hear you are moving back to hi fi from head fi.
Hmm couldn't figure out how to DSP google chromecast audio.

BTW more good info on how inadequate speaker gauge can affect sound available here.
Roger Russel writes clearly and in detail. I've seen various articles before. He is essentially an engineer type and therefore a cable sceptic. I think I'm veering more his way as I age, but presume my reducing hi frequency perception might be to blame!

Have you read the section "When Differences Can be Heard" and following "Amplifier Stability and Amplifier Performance", it reveals the secret sauce of cable manufacturers.
Yes, that is what I've long appreciated, and of course also explains why tube amps sound so different with such high output impedances. They change with the speaker, so naturally sound different to solid state, even if otherwise the same (which of course they aren't!).

With fancy cables, the sheer glamour is persuasive, and the expectation huge!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
57MsjnA.png

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
newlash09 said:
And it is 3.4, and not the 3.4s. so guess I will just give a good winding with insulation tape where they cross each other :)

Cables interfere when they run in paralel, not when they cross.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
newlash09 said:
That was very helpful to plan my inflooring wiring . I plan to install plastic conduits below the floor, so that I have flexibility with any future cabling. Thanks.

Hi Newlash09. As an architect (and a hifi fan with personal experience) you will need to install a separate conduit for every cable. Don't assume that you will be able to draw new cables through shared conduits, because you will not be able to do so without snagging/tangling. Also form changes in direction over a large radius. Sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts