SPEAKER CABLE FOR ROTEL MONITOR AUDIO

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

Supreme said:
I can understand that preference is subjective and that in some cases people actually prefer cheaper cables to more expensive ones, that is all down to system synergy and ones own like and dislikes. But, to say that all speaker cable or interconnects sound the same is just foolishness. It's like saying that all amplifiers sound the same. Where have these idea's come from?

It depends what you consider to be foolishness no?

None of the cables I've used over the years has made the kind of dramatic differences claimed and I've tried a good ten or so. None. I don't believe that my system wasn't resolving enough, or that it's my ears. I simply doing the claims made by some (and despair at the faith invested in them by others).

I've had greater returns out of moving my speakers around by a few inches and adjusting toe-in.

Differences do exist, but very subtle at best.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
floyd droid said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi floyd droid

I am seriously not holding back our components ;) as the standard mains cables are enabling the components to breathe.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick , I think we may have wires crossed a tad here mate.

/quote]

Hi floyd droid

We haven't. Hence ;)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Ah , jolly g Rick . I misinterpreted the ;).

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Supreme said:
I can understand that preference is subjective and that in some cases people actually prefer cheaper cables to more expensive ones, that is all down to system synergy and ones own like and dislikes. But, to say that all speaker cable or interconnects sound the same is just foolishness. It's like saying that all amplifiers sound the same. Where have these idea's come from?

Funnily enough, not from the people that make, sell and review those products i.e. those that earn their living from them, but from professional audio engineers, speaker designers and odinary people who can see "snake oil" for what it is. The kind of people who wouldn't buy anti ageing cream or magic hair restorer or some product that would make their pen1s grow by 2 inches. The kind of people that have yet to hear of a single person who has successfully identified different cables or amplifiers in a blind test. In fact when Alan Shaw offered to give away £5000 worth of Harbeth speakers to anyone who could successfully tell apart any two amplifiers, not one of the golden eared brigade even took up the challenge.

What is it about HiFi that turns so many people into gullible fools?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Supreme said:

Harbeth.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Supreme said:
to say that all speaker cable or interconnects sound the same is just foolishness.

With technology being as advanced as it is, why do we have no proof otherwise?

Not like there hasn't been plenty of time for anyone to come up with some proof - the debate has been going on forever.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
As i said before Carnival Silverscreen is actually better sounding in my system than Rumour 2

Rumour 2 is just a little recessed for me

Speaker cables are tone controls imho and they do make a difference but not better

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Speaker cables are tone controls imho and they do make a difference but not better

nope, tone controls are things like eq's. If you're using speaker cables to control the tone of your system then that's just crazy imho.... "hang on, i just need to change the speaker cables, I want to listen to a bit of rock music" :rofl:

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:

If that were true then there would be no debate because changes in frequency response (as achieved by tone controls) are easily measurable by anyone with a computer and a microhone.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
MakkaPakka said:
stevebrock said:

If that were true then there would be no debate because changes in frequency response (as achieved by tone controls) are easily measurable by anyone with a computer and a microhone.

You're forgetting that golden eared audiophiles can hear things that can't be measured!

It's nothing to do with expectation bias or the brain playing tricks, just good old fashioned super hearing.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
pauln said:
You're forgetting that golden eared audiophiles can hear things that can't be measured!

It's nothing to do with expectation bias or the brain playing tricks, just good old fashioned super hearing.

I know - I once fell out with a work hifi obsessed work collegue who told me the second guitar on a chorusof a tune our band had done was fantastic.

There was no second guitar though, I know because I recorded it. I was there. He didn't believe me because he could hear it. :help:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Ah, now the insults have arrived, it has become a "proper" cable thread......I can almost taste the smug superiority from here.

Why is it that arguments can't be made without resorting to arrogance, patronization, disrespect and condescension?

Anyone who has to resort to the disparagement and ridicule of others to bolster their POV, has as far as I'm concerned, little real substance to their position.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Ah, now the insults have arrived, it has become a "proper" cable thread......I can almost taste the smug superiority from here.

Why is it that arguments can't be made without resorting to arrogance, patronization, disrespect and condescension?

Anyone who has to resort to the disparagement and ridicule of others to bolster their POV, has as far as I'm concerned, little real substance to their position.

well said

can the mods close this thread now!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Ah, now the insults have arrived, it has become a "proper" cable thread.....

stevebrock said:

Pah, call this a cable thread?! Where's the string of obscenities to make the swear filter start smoking and finally burn out in a molten heap of circuitry? No one has left the forum in indignation and not one person has even been threatened with being banned.

I tell you, this country is going to pot... back in my day <mutter mutter>...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
professorhat said:
CnoEvil said:

stevebrock said:

Pah, call this a cable thread?! Where's the string of obscenities to make the swear filter start smoking and finally burn out in a molten heap of circuitry? No one has left the forum in indignation and not one person has even been threatened with being banned.

I've barely got started though.......those EDITED EDITED with their EDITED EDITED EDITED can EDITED my EDITED!

(Is that better? :roll: )

......exit stage left (in a huff).

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
professorhat said:
CnoEvil said:

stevebrock said:

I've barely got started though.......those EDITED EDITED with their EDITED EDITED EDITED can EDITED my EDITED!

(Is that better? :roll: )

......exit stage left (in a huff).

Much better :grin:

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

you are aware this is an internet forum right? That's the raison d'etre of them is it not? Unless your on some kind of different internet to the one I'm on? ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
you are aware this is an internet forum right? That's the raison d'etre of them is it not? Unless your on some kind of different internet to the one I'm on? ;)

I think you must have it confused with "What Insult? Rude and Ignorant." ;)

.....but I agree that it is unlikely to change, as people can hide behind their anonymity.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
cheeseboy said:

I think you must have it confused with "What Insult? Rude and Ignorant." ;)

.....but I agree that it is unlikely to change, as people can hide behind their anonymity.

I'm afraid you are right Cno and it's not confined to WHF either.

On another forum a simple question on the merits of a particular cable evoked a disgustingly vitriolic response and if we're not careful WHF will also be descending to those depths.

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts