SPEAKER CABLE FOR ROTEL MONITOR AUDIO

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matthewpiano

Well, I've put the 322-strand OFC speaker cable on, wanting it to be at least as good as the Chord Co. Carnival Silverscreen I had on before. Guess what? It doesn't. The system has lost all its depth, the timbre of instruments is not described nearly as well, and the system doesn't sound half as good as before.

Tomorrow, the Chord will be going back on to the system. Glad I tried the 322, but it has just proved to me that spending a reasonable amount on a good quality speaker cable is worthwhile.

matthewpiano

Well, I've put the 322-strand OFC speaker cable on, wanting it to be at least as good as the Chord Co. Carnival Silverscreen I had on before. Guess what? It isn't. The system has lost all its depth, the timbre of instruments is not described nearly as well, and the system doesn't sound half as good as before.

Tomorrow, the Chord will be going back on to the system. Glad I tried the 322, but it has just proved to me that spending a reasonable amount on a good quality speaker cable is worthwhile.

T

the record spot

At least you tried it out Matthew, though my own experience with the Type IV proved to the contrary and the single-wired 322-strand cable delivered in spades, for orchestral too. A worthwhile exercise - thanks for reporting back.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Well, I've put the 322-strand OFC speaker cable on, wanting it to be at least as good as the Chord Co. Carnival Silverscreen I had on before. Guess what? It isn't. The system has lost all its depth, the timbre of instruments is not described nearly as well, and the system doesn't sound half as good as before.

When i wemt to Rumour from Carnival Silverscreen I was shocked that I had lost some sparkle, got used to the Rumour now, ive sold the Carnival so cant even do an A-B comparison. However there is a difference in cables, wether expensive means better....im not so sure.

I would happily use Carnival Silverscreen again, it good robust sounding OFC cable

T

the record spot

abacus said:
Quick question for all those that found a difference

Did you do it via the scientifically proven double blind test, or did you just change them yourself?

Curious

Bill

I didn't find a difference, but neither did I use a scientifically proven method, are my invalid?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
floyd droid said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Btw, i also use standard mains cables with all our components.

Rick @ Musicraft

You are seriously holding your kit back here Rick. Foo is the way forward ,lol.

Many a true thing was said in jest.
evil.png

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I personally like the idea of spending a little bit more on something that looks nice and feels well made.

However, there's no escaping the fact that every single blind test you'll ever read about concludes with there being no evidence that expensive cables are better than cheap ones. The evidence looks pretty compelling if you take the time to read it.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
MakkaPakka said:
I personally like the idea of spending a little bit more on something that looks nice and feels well made.

However, there's no escaping the fact that every single blind test you'll ever read about concludes with there being no evidence that expensive cables are better than cheap ones. The evidence looks pretty compelling if you take the time to read it.

+1

My Rumour cable is in no way better than Carnival SilverScreen - it just sounds slightly recessed compared to the SilverScreen - Rumour still a nice cable and I am happy with it.

In hindsight would of happily just saved my money an kept the SilverScreen!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MakkaPakka said:

Here's a challange........try some TQ Black, test it what ever way you like, and report back with your findings.

I believe every single person on here that has bothered to try it for themselves, has heard a difference. Most preferred this difference, though a couple didn't IIRC.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Interesting challenge Cno.

Just remember to invite a conductivity scientist and a psychologist to interpret your triple blind test results. Oh, and don't invite your wife, dog, cat etc who will almost definitely sway the results....

BTW, good to hear the OP had a positive result with the cable upgrade as well as MatthewPiano. Well done!

T

the record spot

robg1976 said:
thats the point, why hold back your system, i agree some cable is si;;y money but you can get good budget cable, i also usr russ andrews mains cables they are only aroun £40 and do sound better so why not

And they do sound better. In your opinion.

'Why waste your money?' would be my view based on my own and just as valid experience with interconnects and speaker cables.

T

the record spot

p_m_brown said:
Interesting challenge Cno.

Just remember to invite a conductivity scientist and a psychologist to interpret your triple blind test results. Oh, and don't invite your wife, dog, cat etc who will almost definitely sway the results....

BTW, good to hear the OP had a positive result with the cable upgrade as well as MatthewPiano. Well done!

Is it just as well done if you have a successful upgrade by "downgrading" to 322-strand as I did then?

Supreme

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I can understand that preference is subjective and that in some cases people actually prefer cheaper cables to more expensive ones, that is all down to system synergy and ones own like and dislikes. But, to say that all speaker cable or interconnects sound the same is just foolishness. It's like saying that all amplifiers sound the same. Where have these idea's come from?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Supreme said:
I can understand that preference is subjective and that in some cases people actually prefer cheaper cables to more expensive ones, that is all down to system synergy and ones own like and dislikes. But, to say that all speaker cable or interconnects sound the same is just foolishness. It's like saying that all amplifiers sound the same. Where have these idea's come from?

Don't go there! :shifty:

Supreme

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Supreme said:

Don't go there! :shifty:

hehe >)

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Supreme said:
It's like saying that all amplifiers sound the same. Where have these idea's come from?

Prolly from peeps who buy a load of s***e, so to justify their load of s***e they say 'all amps sound the same :cheers:

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi floyd droid

I am seriously not holding back our components ;) as the standard mains cables are enabling the components to breathe.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick , I think we may have wires crossed a tad here mate. Twas a reference back to a.n.others post earlier in the thread.

TRENDING THREADS