SPEAKER CABLE FOR ROTEL MONITOR AUDIO

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
cheeseboy said:
you are aware this is an internet forum right? That's the raison d'etre of them is it not? Unless your on some kind of different internet to the one I'm on? ;)

I think you must have it confused with "What Insult? Rude and Ignorant." ;)

.....but I agree that it is unlikely to change, as people can hide behind their anonymity.

Would you care to point out the rudeness and insults in this thread?

I thought it was quite good humoured really compared to some of the threads I've seen here, particularly those that discuss the merits or otherwise of active speakers.

The problem with presenting a reasoned argument against fancy cables is that a) the true believers have "faith" in something that cannot be scientifically proven - it reminds me of watching Richard Dawkins arguing with a creationist - and b) they trust their ears despite overwhelming evidence that indicates that our ears (and eyes) cannot be trusted. Add to that the fact that the people making the claims regarding the sonic attributes of said cables are the very people that make and sell them and you have the classic snake oil scenario!

I used to be an agnostic on the subject; I really wanted to believe but there was always a part of me that said "hang on, that doesn't really make sense" so I did the research and am now (obviously) a non-believer. One of the most valuable sources of information for me has been the Harbeth forum - there's a lot of good advice there, backed up by engineering principals and physics and delivered by a man that is a highly regarded designer of speakers. A professional in the business not a journalist/reviewer.

As well as all that, I work in the live entertainment business, I've seen and heard any amount of live performances, rehearsals and sound checks. I've spent countless hours listening to "one, two, one, two" while the sound engineer eq's to suit the room/hall/arena/stadium. The miles of cable running to the very expensive top quality mics and speakers are just ordinary pro cables. Tone controls (aka eq) matter, cables don't.

Supreme

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
pauln said:
CnoEvil said:
cheeseboy said:
you are aware this is an internet forum right? That's the raison d'etre of them is it not? Unless your on some kind of different internet to the one I'm on? ;)

I think you must have it confused with "What Insult? Rude and Ignorant." ;)

.....but I agree that it is unlikely to change, as people can hide behind their anonymity.

I thought it was quite good humoured really compared to some of the threads I've seen here, particularly those that discuss the merits or otherwise of active speakers.

The problem with presenting a reasoned argument against fancy cables is that a) the true believers have "faith" in something that cannot be scientifically proven - it reminds me of watching Richard Dawkins arguing with a creationist - and b) they trust their ears despite overwhelming evidence that indicates that our ears (and eyes) cannot be trusted. Add to that the fact that the people making the claims regarding the sonic attributes of said cables are the very people that make and sell them and you have the classic snake oil scenario!

I used to be an agnostic on the subject; I really wanted to believe but there was always a part of me that said "hang on, that doesn't really make sense" so I did the research and am now (obviously) a non-believer. One of the most valuable sources of information for me has been the Harbeth forum - there's a lot of good advice there, backed up by engineering principals and physics and delivered by a man that is a highly regarded designer of speakers. A professional in the business not a journalist/reviewer.

As well as all that, I work in the live entertainment business, I've seen and heard any amount of live performances, rehearsals and sound checks. I've spent countless hours listening to "one, two, one, two" while the sound engineer eq's to suit the room/hall/arena/stadium. The miles of cable running to the very expensive top quality mics and speakers are just ordinary pro cables. Tone controls (aka eq) matter, cables don't.

It's great that you have made up your own mind as to cables. A lot of other people have made their minds up that cables do make a difference and they can hear the differences and, who are we to tell them that they can’t?

What does seem strange is why you and a handful of other posters constantly hijack threads on the subject when you have no interest in the matter.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
The point is, in this case, the OP specifically asked that this not be turned into a cable debate, but certain people chose to ignore their wishes... in my book that's disrespectful.

OK, if one believes that cables do not make a difference, that's absolutely fine, but just let people make up their own mind.

Personally, I'm undecided, but would not dream of rideculing those who feel that they do make a difference.

Mac

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Supreme said:
What does seem strange is why you and a handful of other posters constantly hijack threads on the subject when you have no interest in the matter.

It's simple - I hate seeing people being taken advantage of, ripped off, conned; whatever you want to call it.

Supreme

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
In the only scientific paper that I can find on the subject, Fred E Davis concludes that differences can be heard throughout a range of speaker cables. What can also be concluded from this paper is that there may be an audible differences between different amplifier and speaker combinations in relation to cables. I think it is up to the individual to decide whether the difference they hear (or not) is worth the financial outlay.

The paper can be found on the Audio Engineering website.

Respectfully...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
pauln said:

I try not to get embroiled in "he said, I said, you said."......but in this thread phrases like "Gullable fools," and "Golden eared Audiophiles hearing things that can't be measured" with their "super hearing",shows a sneering contempt that I find unnecessary.

I never "tell" people that cables will make a difference, but always advise caution by suggesting careful demos before parting with any money. I usually choose products that I have personally heard make a difference.

Rather than just assuming you have all the answers, why not borrow some TQ Black, insert it into your system and report your findings....it's like I've said before, the more you haven't heard something, the easier it is to you know that it doesn't make a difference.

I'm now signing out of this thread, as I'm in grave danger of becoming a hypocrite.

:cheers:

Cno

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Supreme said:
In the only scientific paper that I can find on the subject, Fred E Davis concludes that differences can be heard throughout a range of speaker cables. What can also be concluded from this paper is that there may be an audible differences between different amplifier and speaker combinations in relation to cables. I think it is up to the individual to decide whether the difference they hear (or not) is worth the financial outlay.

The paper can be found on the Audio Engineering website.

Respectfully...

That's saying a certain type of construction produced the best results. The conclusions therein bear no resemblence to some of the claims that get made using terms like bright, warm, musical, etc.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
floyd droid said:
CnoEvil said:
I'm now signing out of this thread, as I'm in grave danger of becoming a hypocrite.

Shouldnt that be a 'Hippowasp' ?.

Now theres a beastie eh.

I am well aware that I have a loose screw.......and if I ever discover which one, I will feel honour bound to pass this vital info on to you. :twisted:

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Dont think I need it Cno.

Thought I would lob a bit of nonsense in before this goes super dooper t**s up.

The OP had the baws to do an A-B comparison. He heard a difference. He is a happy bunny , job done.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts