Source...which direction to go?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
Hi Alex,

Just replaced SBT + linear power supply + Audio GD NFB2 dac (rates alongside Rega dac for sq) + Roksan power amp + Creek passive pre with Linn Majik DSM.

Sound is richer, more involving, with greater detail and just leaves you wanting more. Hard to put into words really but it just sounds so good!

The squeeze is fantastic value for money and I've used one for 5 years but the Linn is superb in my humble opinion.

Hi Pedro, Thanks a lot for your comments. I suspect also the Linn streamer will be better value for money compared to SBT + DAC but I would like to erperiment this myself. It is true that the small LCD monitor of SBT is so convenient I almost never use the iphone/android application available

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
I suspect also the Linn streamer will be better value for money compared to SBT + DAC but I would like to experiment this myself.

This my friend, is the only way....even if I gently take the Michael from time to time.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
tino said:
If you are going to try out a DAC or two here are some other suggestions:

* Wadia 121

* Chord (Chordette) Qute HD

* Northstar Essensio / Essensio Plus

Great suggestions, the Wadia 121 is in stock at my favorite shop so not problem in trying that. Northstar I have to find a dealer here in Belgium

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
acalex said:
I suspect a Linn streamer will be always better in terms of SQ when compared to SBT with DAC for the same amount of money. But I want find out myself before confirming this statement...

I'm not an expert in digital but the way I understand it is that SBT is using TCPIP protocol (unlike most streamers) for communicating with the sender (in your case NAS server) and Linn streamers use DLNA. TCPIP is designed for reliability, which means that SBT gets what was sent or you'll get drop outs if the bandwidth is too low (overloaded network?). DLNA on the other hand is designed for best performance, so if the network is overloaded you'll still get some output but it's not certain if it's going to be bit perfect with source signal as error correction kicks in. the 1000000 USD question is; how well this error correction mechanism can predict how lost packets looked like on the sender side?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
acalex said:
I suspect a Linn streamer will be always better in terms of SQ when compared to SBT with DAC for the same amount of money. But I want find out myself before confirming this statement...

I'm not an expert in digital but the way I understand it is that SBT is using TCPIP protocol (unlike most streamers) for communicating with the sender (in your case NAS server) and Linn streamers use DLNA. TCPIP is designed for reliability, which means that SBT gets what was sent or you'll get drop outs if the bandwidth is too low (overloaded network?). DLNA on the other hand is designed for best performance, so if the network is overloaded you'll still get some output but it's not certain if it's going to be bit perfect with source signal as error correction kicks in. the 1000000 USD question is; how well this error correction mechanism can predict how lost packets looked like on the sender side?

Good question, is there anybody able to answer this? As I have no idea...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Alex, I came across these two blogs which you might find helpful:

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.sk/2011/06/streamers-and-dacs-from-linn-cyrus.html
and
http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.sk/2012/04/linn-vs-naim-mid-range-streamer.html

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Those blogs are interesting read.. I'd agree 100% that all-in-one box streamer is the way forward.. Depending on your taste in music and amplification i think it could sway which you'd prefer out of Naim and Linn.. I'm not a fan of Naim amps at all.. And although it sounded good through naim amps, when i ran the Naim streamer through my Cyrus amp the combination truly blew me away.. Gave it extra punch but knocked off the harshness of the naim amp. I Couldn't believe music from a HDD could sound so musical and realistic.. I've heard people say similar things about very expensive Naim CD players falling short against 2-3k streamers.. Glad you're plugging it! I'm right behind ya pal!!! :D

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I am back! After some holidays its time a little bit to start updating and demoing again :cheers:

I am starting now with my digital source as the turntable is sorted and it is still my main source so far. Since yesterday I plugged the SBT to the amplifier through an M2Tech DAC using toslink connection...

Still too early to judge but my first feeling from stone cold was a lot more space and air, a more open sound.

My plan is to listen to it for something like a week and then switch back to the SBT alone and see what happens...

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
After living with the M2Tech for a while (connected through toslink) I feel there is some kind of improvement, not sure yet if is worth the price gap between the SBT and the M2Tech.

Next on the list is the Wadia 121 which I will be getting soon...more on this to come.

Not yet tried to demo a Linn stremer as I first want to realize which DAC would think is best and then compare to a Linn streamer.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Enjoying the Wadia 121 now for a week, is getting better and I recognise it's a step up from the SBT itself :cheers:

Still not sure it will be a keeper as I still feel is missing some involvent and musicality...it is not "analogue" enough.

Had a demo of Linn system, unfortunately the demo was quite bad organized and I could not really hear the differences between the different units as they were plugging the units on different speakers evey time.

More on this later!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
spockfish said:
I'll agree. Take the SBT and a very good DAC and imho you have a very capable streaming solution with a very, very good SQ. And this may sound like a shock... with respect to usability the SBT beats every DLNA-based streamer hands down.

So the question is... how much are you willing to spend on SQ that you get with the high end streamer?

Even better when you upgrade the PSU on the squeezebox!

The squeezebox streaming 24/96 to my Rega DAC sounded amazing!

I only borrowed the squeezebox from a friend imho its better than AE, with the AE I have I suffer drop outs...not 1 dropout with the Squeezebox

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:

I only borrowed the squeezebox from a friend imho its better than AE, with the AE I have I suffer drop outs...not 1 dropout with the Squeezebox

I have already tried that and no luck, couldn't spot any difference worth the cost of the PSU.

I will certainly try the Rega DAC as the Wadia and the M2Tech are a good step up but I am afraid too much "digital" for my taste. [/quote]

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Wadia 121 is packed! It will be back to the store this weekend. I will still borrow to Rega DAC for my peace of mind but I am almost sure my decision is made by now! :)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
acalex said:
Wadia 121 is packed! It will be back to the store this weekend. I will still borrow to Rega DAC for my peace of mind but I am almost sure my decision is made by now! :)

I'm sure too... quite sad too, the journey is nearly at an end.Btw,

Have you actually got the speakers at home now?

Mac

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
stevebrock said:

I have already tried that and no luck, couldn't spot any difference worth the cost of the PSU.

I will certainly try the Rega DAC as the Wadia and the M2Tech are a good step up but I am afraid too much "digital" for my taste.

[/quote]

Believe it or not the Rega DAC does sound analogue? I know it baffles me too!

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
acalex said:

I'm sure too... quite sad too, the journey is nearly at an end.Btw,

Have you actually got the speakers at home now?

Mac

Well yes, in a way its a releaf that all pieces are coming together but it is indeed a bit sad as the updates now will be minor tweaks like power cables, speaker cables, ICs, furniture etc...

Speakers will be coming home tomorrow or worst case beginning of next week!

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
acalex said:
stevebrock said:

I will certainly try the Rega DAC as the Wadia and the M2Tech are a good step up but I am afraid too much "digital" for my taste.

Believe it or not the Rega DAC does sound analogue? I know it baffles me too!

[/quote]

I have heard it everywhere...it is one of the most analogue sounding DAC around...and for 600 eur I think it will be a shame not to audition it. Anyway it will be much difficult to get any close to what I have heard yesterday night with the Majik and Akurate DS from Linn

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Have you listened to or considered a Naim streamer? Mine is the most analogue sounding source i've ever heard and why I bought it.. I don't get on with the Naim amp sound at all but listened to it with a open mind and was blown away.. Really did impress me that stored music could sound so natural and fluid..

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Alex, I came across these two blogs which you might find helpful: http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.sk/2011/06/streamers-and-dacs-from-linn-cyrus.html and http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.sk/2012/04/linn-vs-naim-mid-range-streamer.html

I think I read these before and a good insight/review.. But will come down to personal preference and how it goes with the rest of your kit.. Both very good peices of kit and def never looked back as far as DS for source :grin:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
BigColz said:
Have you listened to or considered a Naim streamer? Mine is the most analogue sounding source i've ever heard and why I bought it.. I don't get on with the Naim amp sound at all but listened to it with a open mind and was blown away.. Really did impress me that stored music could sound so natural and fluid..

The guy where we go today for a demo has also Naim in stock, maybe an head-to-head comparison with the Majik/Akurate DS will be possible, let me see if that can be arranged. I will report findings!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
The guy where we go today for a demo has also Naim in stock, maybe an head-to-head comparison with the Majik/Akurate DS will be possible, let me see if that can be arranged. I will report findings!

Always worth doing, and you will be drawn to one or other of the presentations.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
acalex said:
BigColz said:

Yeah that would be great, i'd love to hear another opinion as i've only heard people compare the 2 on a Naim amp setup.. Try and use the same interconnect for both if possible as this can affect the presentation. If you like a fluid analogue sound i'm sure you'll like it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Here is a very balanced thread / viewpoints about Linn KDS/1 vs Naim NDS / 555PS: http://forums.naimaudio.com/displayForumTopic/content/19447375241580186

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts