Sony RDR-HXD870 - Is it any good?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, Am after a DVD recorder/PVR to go with my Toshiba LCD.

Im interested in the Sony RDR-HXD870 DVD /HDD player for the 160HD and also the upscaling via HDMI. I can get in for just under £180. Is this a good buy, or are there better options for the money?

Any opinions?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Sony DVD/HDD recorders are usually pretty good. The next model up from the HXD870, the RDR-HXD970, was our DVD recorder Product of the Year in 2007. If you can get the HXD870 for £180, that sounds like a reasonable deal.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="TurtleT"]
Hi, Am after a DVD recorder/PVR to go with my Toshiba LCD.

Im interested in the Sony RDR-HXD870 DVD /HDD player for the 160HD and also the upscaling via HDMI. I can get in for just under £180. Is this a good buy, or are there better options for the money?

Any opinions?

[/quote]

It's a great DVD Recorder. Great picture, great upscaling..DTS, that's a good price too. It can also play Dual Layer discs, and play NTSC material. You can store MP3, and Photos on it as well, and even make a musical slideshow. You can then save the slideshow as a video that plays on any DVD player. It has easy editing features.. take adverts out of a movie in probably less than a minute. Plus it has some neat HDMI picture adjustments that turn your freeview/cable/satellite into an upscaled almost DVD quality picture. Boost the white for example for brighter highlights. Sharpen the picture beyond what you could previously acheive.

There is even a way to remove the Hard Drive, and replace it for a 500gb, but that voids the warranty, and is slightly risky. Requires the service remote too.

A

Anonymous

I have recently purchased a Sony RDR HXD870B DVD/HDD/Freeview - Do it all box.

I have the aerial from the wall going into the digital aerial in, and the digital aerial out goes into the back of the TV.

In terms of DVD/HDD I have connected via an HDMI lead into the back of the TV.

Picture and sound quality are great and it looks great too,

BUT

There is a really high pitched tone coming out of the unit itself, it isnt particularly loud but very very high pitched and can be heard above the tv volume. It starts about 5 mins after switching the unit on - anyone have any ideas?

A

Anonymous

All sounds good, looks like its the one for me. I've got standard def Sky+ at moment but am thinking of getting rid, so this looks like the PVR to go for.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts