Question Sony IER-M9 cable recommendation

nyichiban

Jul 20, 2021
Visit site
So I just picked up the IER-M9s and while I'm liking it so far the provided cables seems lacking. Anyone out there can recommend some mmcx cables? The source for audio I have used to test the IEMs are the sony a100 walkman edition and the xperia 1 II both using FLAC files. I feel like it is missing something or maybe it needs an amp?

Gray

So I just picked up the IER-M9s and while I'm liking it so far the provided cables seems lacking. Anyone out there can recommend some mmcx cables? The source for audio I have used to test the IEMs are the sony a100 walkman edition and the xperia 1 II both using FLAC files. I feel like it is missing something or maybe it needs an amp?
What makes you think the provided cables are 'lacking'?
Because, to be honest, unless your sound is non-existent or intermittent, your cables lack nothing.

Here I would disagree with Gray as had similar issues with my IEM's, the provided cable was full until I replaced it with a third party silver cable then the y came alive. W
What's your budget?
however, considering the price of those Sonys then, if they don't do it for you, then the cable is the least of you worries.... :)
did you audition before you bought?

Last edited:
We agree on that 👍
Glad to hear it.
I knew my IEMs were capable of more because I heard a mate's pair but he had both the supplied copper cable and an aftermarket silver cable. The difference was indeed noticeable. I bought the IEMs and the same silver cable, which, in my opinion they should have come with in the first place

nyichiban

Jul 20, 2021
Visit site
What makes you think the provided cables are 'lacking'?
Because, to be honest, unless your sound is non-existent or intermittent, your cables lack nothing.
I guess I wasn't clear in my question? Basically it sounds a bit dead compared to say a pair of Kaisers I have as well. Just not as lively. It seems like changing the cables worked for @Al ears and I've heard from others that changing cables could work. What cables did you end up getting @Al ears ? I don't really have a budget and wanted to try some suggestions. Wasn't able to audition them as covid is going around so stores don't want to let you audition a pair and have a possibility of spreading the virus. Not sure if that's the case for you @Gray so it's hard to audition a pair. I originally wanted the IER-M7 and was pointed towards the IER-M9 from a friend who had auditioned both and suggested a cable swap would be good to bring out the IEMs. Also the price for the M9s were for less than 1/2 off retail so it was a good deal.

Perhaps my comments were taken out of context. If you spent whatever you did on these IEMs purely on the advice of a friend then I don't think there is any one on this forum that's going to recommend a cable upgrade that is going to rectify the issues you have.
Perhaps your friend could advise....

nyichiban

Jul 20, 2021
Visit site
Perhaps my comments were taken out of context. If you spent whatever you did on these IEMs purely on the advice of a friend then I don't think there is any one on this forum that's going to recommend a cable upgrade that is going to rectify the issues you have.
Perhaps your friend could advise....
Yes my friend has advised me on some cables but also wanted to hear from others as well who own this. Maybe others would have other suggestions that I could also look into as everyone has a slightly different taste. I guess I'll just look for recommendations elsewhere. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts