Marantz M-CR610

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matthewpiano

Garett said:
Thanks for your review Matthew, nicely written. Is there any reason why you seem to chop and change your system so often?

Hi Garett. By my standards things have been pretty steady over the last 18 months. This is only my third change of electronics in that time!! Before that I went through a huge amount of kit. Some of it has been down to sheer inquisitiveness, some of it down to always wanting to see if I can get things that little bit better. My budget has always been limited so I've ended up selling and buying several times to fund the changes. It ends up being a constant cycle of messing around and, thought fun to start with, it has worn thin.

The last couple of changes have been carefully thought through and more successful than most. I was quite pleased with the Denon 720AE CD and amp combination, especially when I was using it with the Q Acoustics 2020i speakers. Nice system that, but I've always liked Dali speakers and when the Zensor 3s were released I guessed they might have the all the qualities I've admired in their speakers previously, but with a bigger sense of scale than the Lektor 2s and Zensor 1s can muster. I was absolutely right. I then felt an amp with slightly more clarity might get even more out of the Zensor 3s so I changed to the Pioneer A-30. Superb amp and it had the desired effect.

However, I've always been interested in the idea of a one-box system, right from the first days of the Linn Classik. Problem is, none of them have been quite comprehensive enough for me in the past. The Marantz gives me everything I need and it sounds every bit as good with the Zensor 3s as the Pioneer A-30 did, so for me it is pretty much the ideal solution.

Garett

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
3rd in 18 months! Blimey! I can sympathise with your predicament, I went through a phase (usually after reading on here) of thinking that I could improve my system in one way or another, but to be honest with you I'm very happy with how it sounds at the moment. I dug out some old reviews on my kit and it reaffirms what I already feel about my kit and why I like it.

My view is that I would have to spend substantially more to improve on my current equipment as I bought all except the Zensors on the 2nd hand market, maybe I'll upgrade my amp in the future but it would have to be a significant step up for me to feel it was worthwhile, rather than a sideways step to a different amp of the same price point with a slightly different presentation.

Of course there is nothing wrong with experimenting if thats what you enjoy so why the hell not! I have noticed you are a student of sound (like myself) and I enjoy too dabbling with different kit and seeing what works with what and how it sounds and why it is different, it helps you to decide what you actually want.

I think what you have found with the Marantz may stop you (for a time anyway) from constantly thinking 'what if?' as its all you need in one box and also the synergy is already there between the CD/amp/DAC etc.

Enjoy it anyway, thats what its there for and not to get too analytical (although that can be fun also!).

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Surely it's now time for you to finally leave the forum. You are no longer a HIFI enthusiast, forevever tweaking an upgrading your kit, searching for musical nirvana. You have reached the end of the road, you can now switch off and at last just listen to your music, or perhaps take-up another ultra -obssesive hobby. Do something else, you now have time on your hands to pursue your dreams. Relax, it's been a long journey, but at least it all ended up well in the end. So it is with some envy that I bid you farewell. It was fun whilst it lasted (sometimes) but now we can all say aurevoir, adios, sayonara etc

PeterGr

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
manicm said:
Thanks Matthew! How does it handle USB, could it cope with a modest hard drive?

I will give it a go tomorrow and let you know.

Thx for the review Matthew.

When you'll have some news on how the usb functions, I'll be interested to read it.

PeterGr

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
manicm said:

When you'll have some news on how the usb functions, I'll be interested to read it.

matthewpiano

PeterGr said:
matthewpiano said:
manicm said:

Hi. I haven't had chance to do it tonight, but as soon as I get a clear half hour or so in the next couple of days I'll try those functions out and report back.

matthewpiano

cse said:
Surely it's now time for you to finally leave the forum. You are no longer a HIFI enthusiast, forevever tweaking an upgrading your kit, searching for musical nirvana. You have reached the end of the road, you can now switch off and at last just listen to your music, or perhaps take-up another ultra -obssesive hobby. Do something else, you now have time on your hands to pursue your dreams. Relax, it's been a long journey, but at least it all ended up well in the end. So it is with some envy that I bid you farewell. It was fun whilst it lasted (sometimes) but now we can all say aurevoir, adios, sayonara etc

Thanks for the 'encouragement' but I think I'll stick around if its all the same to you.

matthewpiano

Just as an update, one of the things I'm finding since I got the Marantz is that I am listening to a wider range of the music I have in my collection. Some of it is down to the consistently enjoyable sound, and the way in which the Marantz really shows the differences between recordings but without making anything unlistenable. The rest of it is, I think, down to starting to rip and stream a lot of my CDs as FLAC files. I'm finding stuff in my collection that I haven't listened to for ages and really enjoying it!

Apologies to manicm. I still haven't had chance to try a Hard Drive directly connected, partly because the one I currently have is a general use external and has folders for other things on it as well as my FLACs. As soon as I get chance to do something I'll report back.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
The DB1is are great speakers PP, but I've got no intention of changing the Zensor 3s for a long time. I love them.

A long time seems to be relative since they are already replaced by a pair of Castle Knight 1 speakers. :cheers:

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Yes, I know. Wasn't a long time was it?

Full report to follow in due course.

I am still very interested to read your report. ;)

One question if you dont' mind. Can they be placed about 25 cm from the back wall?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If they are anything like the Castle Knight 2s that I heard 3 years ago (when planning my current system), then they should be an excellent choice.

In my case a last minute chance to obtain another pair of my favourite Rega R3s (from a local forum member) overturned the decision. But - had that not happened - the Castle Knight 2s would have been my final choice.

They were also a little 'unfashionable' in reviews at the time but got solid praise all round for qualities that are always fashionable with me. (Excellent with spoken word content especially, good imaging, easy to listen to for long periods, impeccable real wood finishes.) I am not a fan of 'slam' and 'sparks' and 'in-yer-face' presentations and it doesn't interest me how they perform with some Batman movie soundtrack when the volume control is turned round to the end stop.

The 'end-of-line' prices (Knight 1s £150 and Knight 2s £199) make them especially good value right now. (Half price.)

matthewpiano

The Marantz has really made me stop and think carefully about the sort of sound I need for long term musical enjoyment and I realise I have been chasing a sound that in reality doesn't encourage me to sit down and relax, listening to the music fully. In fact some of the kit I've had has made me very restless.

The Zensor 3s are superb speakers and in terms of giving a punchy, forthright sound they are hard to beat at the price. However, switching to my Quad 11Ls showed me that I can sit and listen to a more subtle performance for much longer and that such a performance suits the majority of the music I listen to (mostly acoustic music - folk, jazz, and classical). It also showed me how capable the Marantz is - more so than quite a few of the seperate integrated amps I've used with the Quads. However, the underlying Quad quality - a slightly 'grey' sound - remained and I found myself wanting to find some speakers that would manage all the qualities of the Quads but with that extra something that is hard to define.

I found myself yearning for the Wharfedale Dentons, or even some Harbeths, but they are both beyond my financial means at present. I noticed the half-price deals on the Castle range and did some research, finding a dealer review from America that suggested they had all the qualities I was looking for.

Coupled with the Marantz, the Knight 1s are a supremely natural speaker, with no irritating spikes in the frequency response. Their imaging is holographic, and they portray the character of instruments and voices in a very cpativating way. Listening to Emmylou Harris' recording of 'Here, There and Everywhere' from Elite Hotel last night, her characterful voice was a living and breathing element. They are also deft with a rhythm, but in a very natural and un-forced manner. I've never heard Steeleye Span's 'Seagull' sound so infectious, and all the texture of the vocal harmonies was beautifully reproduced. These speakers lay the music out in front of you. They don't hurtle it at you. Yet tracks from Peter Gabriel's orchestral album still have decent weight and the speakers handle the larger soundstage and timbral complexity with a surprising sense of ease. These qualities also come across with solo piano music - unusually for an affordable speaker, pianos (when recorded properly) sound like a single instrument rather than the disconcertingly seperated impression many seem to give.

Will they suit everyone? Absolutely not. They aren't the sort of speakers that will impress those looking for massive sub bass, and they won't impress in a quick-shot demo or at a hi-fi show like some do. If you want the music to be pounded into the room, the Castles are not designed for you. In a way, despite them appearing to be like a typical small modern standmount speaker, Peter Comeau has very skilfully designed them to avoid many of the usual characteristics and, as such, they have a more sophisticated quality. They are probably quite unique amongst affordable speakers, certainly in my quite extensive experience. In fact, so much so that I worry about availability of similar product in the future as IAG don't seem to be doing much with Castle promotion-wise in the UK and with the current offers it almost seems like we might see them disappear.

They suit me very well and they are encouraging a new way of listening - well, new in the sense that I haven't listened like this for a long time.

Eventually I can see myself with a pair of Harbeths (and a more up-range one-box system) but until then, these are captivating.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Ive heard that before, we will see how long "long term" is, bet they don't last 5 years.

I heard some Wharfedale Dentons, sounded great on vocals like Van Morrison but could not handle bass like Little Feat glad I did not buy them.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Yes, I know. Wasn't a long time was it?

I'm not sure why anyone's surprised, in the 5+ years I've been here you've confidently pronounced that you're done with upgrading and changing at least 6 times that I can remember (and I gave up reading your system threads some time ago, so it's probably more) and then almost in the very next post are telling us about the latest change you've made.

I just wish you'd be honest with yourself and realise you're unlikely ever to stop (you're already thinking about the next speakers you'll get having only just replaced the last lot). Stop kidding yourself, it's not like box-swapping is anything to be ashamed of.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Yes. I am always a little dubious about over enthusiastic 'user reviews' and gushing praise. It is (usually) from either the inexperienced, AVI users ;) or people that have a habit of changing quick and often.

Thats not taking anything away from Matthew. I hope he found something he can enjoy for a while without suffering from 'equipment envy'.

Regards

T

the record spot

I tried the Cattle Knight 1s when I bought my Tannoy speakers a couple of years ago. It came down to those two in the end and that was over the Epos M12 and the KEF R100. The former too big and too neutral, the latter just plain lumpy and lead footed.

The Castle range has been available at half price for some time now, but of course they're not popular, all too readily overlooked, traditional in appearance and probably why they're heavily discounted. All of which is a shame as they're really very good.

That said, I bought the Tannoys as they were simply that bit better...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The problem with endless box swopping is it must cost a lot of money, I would rather choose a system and then keep it for years. Matt you surely could hav ebought those Harbeths and a decent source and amp and have loads of money left over from what you have spent in the last 5 years?

matthewpiano

Actually the money is an issue and I don't have endless supplies, hence my inability to purchase something like Harbeths + appropriate electronics. I've always been trying to get as large a percentage of the ability of higher-end kit for the lowest possible price. It isn't about getting a hi-fi to do everything, just the things I want it to do. Most of my box swapping has been self-funding and most things get sold when I move on. I'm trying to play a rich man's game on a below average earner's money. Simple as that. The simple fact is that most affordable hi-fi focuses on being 'impressive' rather than musically persuasive and that, I feel, has been my main problem. I'm not 'ashamed' of the box swapping but I've always wanted to be in a position where I can take a good break from it. I mention Harbeths only as a long-term goal for when I can afford them AND the electronics they deserve. I don't see much point in messing around with anything in between.

Had the Knights been £300 they would not, at present, even be on the agenda although I do feel they are worth every penny of their SRP. The fact that they have been unfashionable (as the market is pretty much wholly driven by magazine reviews and mostly by WHFS&V) is on this occasion playing greatly to my advantage. Overall I'm actually coming out of this latest system change with more money, not less.

I might add, that if hi-fi dealers were generally better and more interested in really getting to know a customer's needs, a lot of this box swapping might have been cut out. As it stands, many stock a limited range of product and either push the award winners or the stuff they like themselves. That isn't what looking after a customer is about.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Actually the money is an issue and I don't have endless supplies ... Most of my box swapping has been self-funding and most things get sold when I move on.

Which is what I meant, now you're on that path you can afford to stay on it, so the money isn't really an issue.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the good reviews of the Marantz and the new Knight 1's. I was really temped by the Knights recently. The finish appears great on the net for the Knight range. Thinking of the Knight 1 or 3's. Its a bit like when I got a pair of BA A26 speakers on sale - definitely worth the price. How do you connect the PC or laptop to the Marantz for streaming by the way? MP have you tried the Epic 2 speakers? thanks.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I might add, that if hi-fi dealers were generally better and more interested in really getting to know a customer's needs, a lot of this box swapping might have been cut out. As it stands, many stock a limited range of product and either push the award winners or the stuff they like themselves. That isn't what looking after a customer is about.

Good independants don't work that way Matthew but, in my experience, most chains do. Profit per cardboard box etc. Doesn't mean I agree with it but alas that's the way it is and a lot of people get 'suckered' in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts