Sony BDP-S770 vs BDP-S760 vs PS3

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have read the recent review of the Sony BDP-S770 in the Awards 2010 issue of WhatHifi. It was compared against the S570 in the review. What i would really like to know is how it compares against the old BDP-S760 which had an image reality enhancer and had rave reviews. Apart from 3D and Wi-fi streaming is the S770 better than the old S760?

Also at the moment i watch my Blu-rays on my PS3 which gives brilliant picture quality, but the fans on the PS3 tends to kick in quite often when watching Blu-rays due to overheating, hence why i am afer a dedicated Blu-ray player. So how does the picture compare to the PS3?

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
There was group test previously that the Sony S370 won.

And the S760 was in the test as well. Given a 4 star rating.

And it does seems to indicate that the S370 was overall, better than the S760.

The S570 is also reviewed to be as good as the S370 with added 3D and Wifi etc.

Therefore...

A

Anonymous

I am sure the review on the S370 was supposed to be better than a PS3, and the S770 should be slightly better than the S570.

The S770 is very very slightly better than the S570. The main difference between the S370 & the S570 is that the latter has wi-fi & is 3D capable. The S770 has a backlit remote & has a different chassis compared ot the S570. Whether it's worth the premium......only you can decide that.

scene

Everything said so far is spot on. One thing to remember, is that of the three the BDP-S760 is the only one to have multi-channel outs. So if your amp doesn't support HDMI (like mine), you won't be able to get all the latest HD audio out of the PS3 or S770...

scene

Big Chris:Why they dropped multi-outs from the 7XX is a mystery. The jump from 570 to 770 seems to offer very little on paper.
I was wondering that as well. On their website, the only differences listed are the backlit remote (woo-hoo!), 3D BD isn't listed in the 570 tech spec, but is in the 770 (surely some mistake) and the 770 is taller and heavier (35% heavier).
Can't really see the point. Think Sony have definitely missed a trick, especially with the SACD playback...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Oddly enough, the progression (or not) through the range is the subject of a forthcoming 'Big Question' feature - giving readers the chance to see/hear a selection of players in action and asking what (if any) differences they could tell. Should make for an interesting read!

scene

Clare Newsome:Oddly enough, the progression (or not) through the range is the subject of a forthcoming 'Big Question' feature - giving readers the chance to see/hear a selection of players in action and asking what (if any) differences they could tell. Should make for an interesting read!

I look forward to that one
emotion-1.gif

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Oddly enough, the progression (or not) through the range is the subject of a forthcoming 'Big Question' feature - giving readers the chance to see/hear a selection of players in action and asking what (if any) differences they could tell. Should make for an interesting read!

And there we were, being asked to keep stumm.
emotion-4.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, please keep quiet about your experiences - we don't want to spoil the surprise
emotion-2.gif

But - as with revealing what reviews are in the pipeline - it makes sense for us on the mag to preview what's coming up when it's relevant to discussions here.

A

Anonymous

And here I was waiting to take the plunge on the S770 only to be intrigued by this "big question" feature. Is it going to be in the next mag issue as I just got the awards issue (on subscription) last week.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I've got to say I'm starting to wonder if there's a big difference between any of the players now when talking about 24FPS BluRay and audio over HDMI. I've seen many opinions to the effect that fully calibrated there is virtually no difference in any players they've seen.

The PS3 still seems to be well-rated, the S760 and Pioneer LX players looked to have moved the game on at a reasonable price, but now the cheap S370 beats it, with S570 and S770 offering little more, and I've seen at least one comment of someone abandoning a Pioneer LX52 for the 370.

Still other comments claim the Panasonic BD85 beats the S570, and from various reviews the Samsung BD C6900 and Panasonic BDT300 seems in the same performance league.

It just all seems to me as if there's actually probably little performance difference. Was thinking of the Samsung as it is 3D, (thought not that bothered), due to get LoveFilm and iPlayer, and can play video over USB from NTFS. However that is £200+ and I'm thinking of the PS3 in case I start gaming again, but the fan comments put me off a bit!

A

Anonymous

kinda:
I've got to say I'm starting to wonder if there's a big difference between any of the players now when talking about 24FPS BluRay and audio over HDMI. I've seen many opinions to the effect that fully calibrated there is virtually no difference in any players they've seen.

The PS3 still seems to be well-rated, the S760 and Pioneer LX players looked to have moved the game on at a reasonable price, but now the cheap S370 beats it, with S570 and S770 offering little more, and I've seen at least one comment of someone abandoning a Pioneer LX52 for the 370.

Still other comments claim the Panasonic BD85 beats the S570, and from various reviews the Samsung BD C6900 and Panasonic BDT300 seems in the same performance league.

It just all seems to me as if there's actually probably little performance difference. Was thinking of the Samsung as it is 3D, (thought not that bothered), due to get LoveFilm and iPlayer, and can play video over USB from NTFS. However that is £200+ and I'm thinking of the PS3 in case I start gaming again, but the fan comments put me off a bit!

To be honest the noise of the PS3 is one of the reasons I'm looking to replace my fat PS3 60GB with a standalone player, its quite annoying when watching movies etc. Not sure if the newer slim PS3's are any quieter as mine is one of the original ones with card reader etc. Game are offering £100 cash or £120 store credit for my PS3 so that should cover the cost of the Xbox Kinect when it comes out ;-)

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
scene:the 770 is taller and heavier (35% heavier)

I suspect that the heavier chassis will improve audio playback, especially with SACD. The 370 is a bit lacking in low-end grunt, I would expect an audible improvement with the 770.

A

Anonymous

pete321:

I suspect that the heavier chassis will improve audio playback, especially with SACD. The 370 is a bit lacking in low-end grunt, I would expect an audible improvement with the 770.

Sorry if I'm being stupid, but how does a heavier chassis, improve the audio ?

scene

EvertonMonkey:pete321:

Sorry if I'm being stupid, but how does a heavier chassis, improve the audio ?

One could expect an heavier chassis should have less vibrations, which could improve the accuracy of playback. Not sure how it would specifically impact the low end however.

A

Anonymous

I was just reading this and thinking the same!! Sworn to be stumm on pain of death (or something like that!)
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

One could expect an heavier chassis should have less vibrations, which could improve the accuracy of playback. Not sure how it would specifically impact the low end however.

- That's measurable as jitter, isn't it? So unless the jitter spec is worse, then I personally don't believe it. If one does accept that it does affect accuracy of playback, then it wouldn't just be sound either, it would be picture too. And random.

If the 570 and 770 are identical internally, then either you want an illuminated remote or you don't, or you like the idea of the meatier chassis and a bit of pride of ownership.

In my opinion of course!

MarkP

A

Anonymous

'To be honest the noise of the PS3 is one of the reasons I'm looking to replace my fat PS3 60GB with a standalone player, its quite annoying when watching movies etc. Not sure if the newer slim PS3's are any quieter as mine is one of the original ones with card reader etc. Game are offering £100 cash or £120 store credit for my PS3 so that should cover the cost of the Xbox Kinect when it comes out'

' However that is £200+ and I'm thinking of the PS3 in case I start gaming again, but the fan comments put me off a bit!'

I wouldn't worry about the fan on the new PS3 slim. My slim is silent and my phat has been relegated to the bedroom for gaming because the fan noise was intrusive. That was my second PS3 phat, the 1st was also very quiet.

I had the same dilemma, get a stand-alone or a PS3 slim. Having auditioned a few, I (obviously) went for the slim; very little difference in picture quality and sound and for the money at the time, the extra (gaming/media player/3D and general all round future proofing) swung it.

Unless you can replicate the exact same viewing/acoustic conditions and eliminate confirmation bias etc I think most viewers would be hard pressed to tell the difference, and even if there are replicable improvements they're likely to be small increments i.e. I think you'd be happy with whichever suits your pocket.

A

Anonymous

MarkP80:

- That's measurable as jitter, isn't it? So unless the jitter spec is worse, then I personally don't believe it. If one does accept that it does affect accuracy of playback, then it wouldn't just be sound either, it would be picture too. And random.

If the 570 and 770 are identical internally, then either you want an illuminated remote or you don't, or you like the idea of the meatier chassis and a bit of pride of ownership.

In my opinion of course!

MarkP

I'm think the review said that pic and sound we better, if only slightly. So it may not only be a backlit remote.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
titanIQ, are you able to tell us which BD players you auditioned the PS3 against? Also what sound system / display, and if it was all over HDMI?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd be really interested to hear more about the comparison, as it may help me a lot in making a decision.

Also, is the motion smotth with the PS3? I hear a lot about how that aspect of BluRay players has moved on.

A

Anonymous

EvertonMonkey:I'm think the review said that pic and sound we better, if only slightly. So it may not only be a backlit remote.

- It certainly would seem strange to put exactly the same internals in a different case and call it the next higher model in the range. We need a brave soul to get a screwdriver out and show us some photos!

MarkP

MarkP80:

EvertonMonkey:I'm think the review said that pic and sound we better, if only slightly. So it may not only be a backlit remote.

- It certainly would seem strange to put exactly the same internals in a different case and call it the next higher model in the range. We need a brave soul to get a screwdriver out and show us some photos!

MarkP

Sony's Eric Kingdon has confirmed that the difference between the 2 models is a backlit remote & different chassis. He did not mention about upgraded internals.

12:17

Andy Clough: Next question on Blu-ray players.

Hello Mr.Kingdon, Can you please inform me in detail about the technical differences between the BDP-S570 and the BDP-S770. Because if I contact SONY centers, the only things they can tell me are: a different design and a backlit remote. But I think there must be more. Thank you. Willy
Tuesday September 28, 2010 12:17 Andy Clough

12:20

Eric Kingdon: Hi Willy,
Basically the main differences are the inclusion of a backlit remote commander and different casing and trim. The S770 is a fine player and I don't think you'd be disappointed after a demo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts