Oppo BDP-130D vs Sony BDP-S790

AKMH

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Dear Forum Members,

I have been using the Sony BDP-S790 blu-ray player for the past 2 years and am quite pleased with it's overall performance. However, having recently acquired a Sony 4K TV, I have been considering the Oppo BDS-130D as a possible upgrade. Just wondering if this would be justified, and if the Oppo would offer any worthwhile improvements in picture quality over the Sony? Thanks for valuable opinions!

HifiShark

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
The Oppo BDP-103D no doubt offers fantastic image quality. In my experience the Oppos are are also very durable, which is more than I can say the units of a number of other brands that I have tried.

Do consider, however, that disc based delivery may not necessarily be the best source of 4k material in the future. At this point I would only consider a unit that will be able to stream such material in the future. If the Oppo can do this I think it is a no-brainer.

AKMH

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Many thanks for the informative comments. I was more interested in a player with potentially superior video quality, given that my Sony is over 2 years old. I might therefore retain my Sony BDP-S790 for a while longer, until new players capable of delivering true 4K content hopefully become available in the foreseeable future.

One issue which I'm curious about is regarding 4K upscaling on many modern blu-ray players. If current 4K TVs supposedly offer better upscaling of 1080p content, what purpose does the blu-ray player's upscaling achieve, if it has to be deactivated anyway? Or are they intended to be used together in conjunction? Thanks for any suggestions!

Current 4K TVs are brilliant upscalers anyway, so you don't need 4K upscaling ability in a blu ray player. You can compare which is a better upscaler if you want.

If you want the player to upscale, turn it on in the player, and turn it off for the TV to upscale.

JJ

May 18, 2011
Visit site
You keep saying you can see no difference in picture quality so why did you dictch your BD60 and get the Oppo?

Btw, a Denon DVD2500Bt still beats an Oppo.

JJ said:
You keep saying you can see no difference in picture quality so why did you dictch your BD60 and get the Oppo?

Sold my entire AV system including BD60 with the house. Bought a new system for the new house, and I wanted a true universal player. I've got a collection of VCDs which other players don't play.

I've mentioned few times before. I have demoed Denon 2500BT with PS3 and BD60. No difference on my (previous) Kuro.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/blu-ray-players/looking-advice

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/blu-ray-players/are-all-recent-blu-ray-players-pretty-much-par-when-it-comes-to-picture

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/blu-ray-dvd-picture-quality-0

D

Deleted member 2457

JJ said:

It is Ronald! Everybody hide!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
JJ said:

Oh I don't know, the Oppo is certainly better at playing Blurays...

I wouldn't say that my BDP103 is quite as good as my old Sony BDP5000ES for playing DVDs (even if the Sony looked a little soft in comparison). Considering the Oppo is £500 and the last price on the Sony was £1200, that doesn't concern me too much. The Oppo will play various disc types too, including HDCD, DVD Audio and SACD, which the 5000 could not. Audio streaming, video and audio USB playback, dual HDMI output etc etc...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts