Sony BDP-S770 vs BDP-S760 vs PS3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

kinda:

titanIQ, are you able to tell us which BD players you auditioned the PS3 against? Also what sound system / display, and if it was all over HDMI?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd be really interested to hear more about the comparison, as it may help me a lot in making a decision.

Also, is the motion smotth with the PS3? I hear a lot about how that aspect of BluRay players has moved on.

BDP-S370/BDP-S570 and Panasonic BDT-300.

All through HDMI, on a projector in the shop, and through my STR-D810 to my Pioneer PDP-LX5090 and Samsung UE46C7020 at home.

No motion issues with either of them. I'm not a die-hard PS3 fan-boy, I just didn't see any real difference.

titanIQ: No motion issues with either of them. I'm not a die-hard PS3 fan-boy, I just didn't see any real difference.

You're not alone here. Even I couldn't notice any difference in blu-ray video playback between PS3, Denon 2500BT & Panasonic BD60.

A

Anonymous

After reading through all the replies to the original question of this thread I am coming to the conclusion that the Sony dedicated Blue ray players are better than the PS3. Also the BDP-S370 was tested in a group with the old BDP-S760 and the S370 came out the winner. Therefore we can conclude the BDP-S770 is better than the old BDP-S760.

So i guess the only question now is if it is worth going for the BDP-S770 or the cheaper BDP-S570. Both are technically the same inside and the only difference is the S770 has a better chassis design and remote. However What Hifi review in the awards magazine did mention they think the S770 had a slightly better 3D picture but the 2D pciture was the same? Someone in this thread had Sony confirm that both the S770 and S570 were exactly the same inside.

As my player will be stuffed inside a cupboard it is not worth me buying the S770 just for the design looks and it would be better i go for the S570.

A

Anonymous

ASonyWanter:
After reading through all the replies to the original question of this thread I am coming to the conclusion that the Sony dedicated Blue ray players are better than the PS3. Also the BDP-S370 was tested in a group with the old BDP-S760 and the S370 came out the winner. Therefore we can conclude the BDP-S770 is better than the old BDP-S760.

So i guess the only question now is if it is worth going for the BDP-S770 or the cheaper BDP-S570. Both are technically the same inside and the only difference is the S770 has a better chassis design and remote. However What Hifi review in the awards magazine did mention they think the S770 had a slightly better 3D picture but the 2D pciture was the same? Someone in this thread had Sony confirm that both the S770 and S570 were exactly the same inside.

As my player will be stuffed inside a cupboard it is not worth me buying the S770 just for the design looks and it would be better i go for the S570.

Yeah thats pretty much what I got from this thread so far, a possible explanation that the S770 might be slightly better is also mentioned in the review. Differences in production tolerances, which I think means they use the better yield components, like in cpu's when they use the better quality processor yields for the top of the range cpu and the stuff that is slightly below 100% on the lower end cpus.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I didn't really get that from the thread. It seems at least some people aren't seeing any difference in playback between PS3 and a number of other players.

I'd be using with a projector so was very interested to hear titanIQ's comments about demoing wth a projector.

I suppose really I should try and demo but I think I only need to spend a couple of hundred or so, and you don't tend to get the hi fi shops demoing that stuff.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
1080P24 would be the big one for me.

I'm only concerned about audio playback to send either PCM or bitstream over HDMI, not for any D/A converision within the player and I wouldn't use the player for music.

Is there a lot of difference in this in the different players in your experience? I'm happy to accept it might be / is the case but wonder why pulling the digital audio info is any different to pulling the video.

I think once I get BluRay player I'll focus on that, so not too worried about upscaling, but I'd still have my XDE 500 which I find fine if it was really bad. The PS3 is a well regarded upscaler though?

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, the various experiences have been helpful, and I've just read another long thread about the merits of PS3 and various players also, to which you contributed quite a bit.

I'll try and have a demo but I can't really see where I'd do it locally, and I've done too much demoing of projectors and amps recently so might leave it for a short while.

A

Anonymous

I asked a SONY-dealer in my neighbourhood and he also could only find a difference in design of the housing and the illumination of the remote. For the rest, no difference with the BDP-S570.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Couldn't resist and went to currys at lunchtime. Got them to put a 2D BluRay on the Samsung c6900, (on a 3D Samsung LED telly, 7000 I think; motion interpolation turned off). Only for about 5 minutes.

The motion looked absolutely fine to me, as did the pictures in general, very detailed. Didn't have much time to assess colours too deeply, but theyewere vivid and not obviously unnatural. It was I Am Legend, and there were lots of the overhead scrolling building shots, and buildings flying past as he drove around.

I did at one point think a shop awning in the background was hard to read, but I'm not sure this was the scrolling as such, as it would have been hard to read anyway at that speed.

Pretty quick to load the disk as well. Certainly didn't seem a long time from turn on to seeing the film menu, and the film started quickly.

A very short 'review' but it's hard to imagine that there could be huge gains to be had from spending more to be honest.

No audio to compare, but I guess if it's over HDMI if it picks up the video OK, audio should be similar. Wanted a quick blast on the PS3 also, but was told they were 'locked down'.

TRENDING THREADS