So, the truth is out.

alwaysbeblue1

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
If, as suggested there is no or very little difference between cheap and expensive hifi.

Would I be right in thinking that a well put together cd,amp and speakers costing all in say £800 would perform as well as a system of say £5000

alwaysbeblue1 said:
If, as suggested there is no or very little difference between cheap and expensive hifi.

Would I be right in thinking that a well put together cd,amp and speakers costing all in say £800 would perform as well as a system of say £5000
I wish!

There is quite a lot of foo and mythology in hifi, but I'm afraid there is no way these would be remotely similar.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
It seems that generally one gets what they pay for, I can't see to many paying 5000 for something if an 800 unit would be as good.

I would think though that the improvement are not linear, and a 5000 set up wouldn't be 6 times better, but then there are some who may think it is that much better.

All opinions are valid

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
The short answer is no.

Another answer would be it depends, which of course requires exspansion...

An overall system for £800 (assuming we're talking equivelent prcies new vs. new ect) is never going to beat a £5k system, that said a very well put together £800 system may run an extroinarly bad £5k system close.

Now there are exceptions but I would argue these only comes in to play when we're talking about specific conponenets used in very particular context. For example I used to own a Mini-T (£60) digital amp which when used within certain conditions, low volume and very effcient speakers it didn't sound a million miles off my Quad 909 Croft 25 combination which was more like £1.5+ rrp. Most speakers and any sort of volume and then a gulf of qulality becomes apparent.

Some passive budget pre-amps can outperform much more expensive active pre-amps, but again when they are appopiate for the system.

When you're talking about like-for-like componenets and you typically get what you pay for, of course there is good and bad value.

alwaysbeblue1 said:

The simple answer is no.

Suggested where by the way?

The initial supposition is decidedly flawed.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
alwaysbeblue1 said:

If that includes ALL the hi-fi equipment that we can buy with the click of a few buttons then I would say that an £800 system could outperform other systems costing £5000 or £50,000.

If we want to make this an academic exercise and go by brand new retail prices adjusted for inflation, it's possible that some ultra budget systems might sound as good as some mid to high budget systems.

Dom

The short answer is yes, but the 5k system would have some serious flaws for that to happen. Maybe ancient wiring in a glass house, end of the world stuff.

I don't really know. *biggrin*

alwaysbeblue1

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I say this is because of blind tests where people cannot discern differences between cheap and expensive.
Plus the fact that a Cd player is a Cd player, how can one be better than another as they do the exact same thing

Although amps may have different power outputs and speaker size may alter the sound.

If the blind test is a reality then surly there can be no or very little difference between systems

alwaysbeblue1 said:
I say this is because of blind tests where people cannot discern differences between cheap and expensive. Plus the fact that a Cd player is a Cd player, how can one be better than another as they do the exact same thing

Although amps may have different power outputs and speaker size may alter the sound.

If the blind test is a reality then surly there can be no or very little difference between systems
And amplifiers all sound the same as long as they aren't clipping. Turntables all go round at 33 1/3rd rpm. Only speakers make a difference. Simples!

NS496

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
What gives you that idea? Take your mobile phone and play a song via its speakers... Not very enjoyably with a screechy sound and very little bass, next stream the same song to a generic bluetooth speaker, a bit better but still not that great. Then stream to a properly set-up hifi (say around 800 pounds) and the music can be REALLY enjoyable and possibly 'good enough' for most people. But you will hear a definate progression here...

However, enthusiasts will demand even more and a great system (at say 5000 pounds) should handily outperform a cheaper system, especially if care was taken with speaker selection specifically. If the difference is 'worth it', only you can decide. There are "deminishing returns" as you go up, but improvements nontheless as I see it.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
alwaysbeblue1 said:
Plus the fact that a Cd player is a Cd player, how can one be better than another as they do the exact same thing

Because there's a huge opportunity for variance after the bits have actually been read from the disc. Lift the lid off especially an 80s and 90s player and you'll see the DAC section is a mass of components, less so these days where they can pack just about everything onto a chip the size of thumb nail, as demonstrated by any number of cheap or not so cheap 'USB-stick' computer DACs.

MajorFubar said:
alwaysbeblue1 said:

Because there's a huge opportunity for variance after the bits have actually been read from the disc. Lift the lid off especially an 80s and 90s player and you'll see the DAC section is a mass of components, less so these days where they can pack just about everything onto a chip the size of thumb nail, as demonstrated by any number of cheap or not so cheap 'USB-stick' computer DACs.

A CD player is a CD player?

There speaks a man that has never heard a decent one well integrated into a decent system.

Unfortunately this is the usual chant of those that don't have the financial ability to put together a really good system.

Dream on guys!

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, there is definetely allot of hype associated with hi-fi regarding cost and sound quality, and would say that a very well matched system costing around £800 or so, can sound as good or better than probably most systems costing much more, and that the improvements are small after this point from a mid range system, and that blind tests would probably prove it *smile*

Snooker said:
In my opinion, there is definetely allot of hype associated with hi-fi regarding cost and sound quality, and would say that a very well matched system costing around £800 or so, can sound as good or better than probably most systems costing much more, and that the improvements are small after this point of a mid range system, and that blind tests would probably prove it *smile*

Oh dear.

I doubt every much that in a large listening room that £800 would even buy a decent pair of speakers that would provide a sound even edging on hifi. Let alone buy a decent source.

There's always headphones I guess.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
alwaysbeblue1 said:

Not including speakers? I've never heard the argument made that competent cheap speakers are hard to tell apart from competent expensive speakers, so that's one issue with your proposition, unless you take the lindsayt path, in which case perhaps 800 pounds 2nd hand buys you better sound quality than 5000 pounds new perhaps.

Theres also the discussion of at what price point you can get a competent amplifier capable of driving any speakers to decent levels. I suspect it won't creep in under your budget.

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
A Marantz MCR611 or Denon Ceol N9 with say Dyaudio Emit M10 Speakers etc costing £900 as one example

Honestly some people who have expensive stuff try and kid themselves sometimes, to justify the cost of their system *smile*

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Maybe there comes a point when you're spending so much money that you're buying the best electronics and build available and beyond that point it's much of a muchness and all about subjective preference. But it's certainly a lot more than £800. As Al said, that doesn't even nearly buy you the best pair of speakers, let alone anything further up the chain

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Snooker said:
A Marantz MCR611 or Denon Ceol N9 with say Dyaudio Emit M10 Speakers etc costing £900 as one example

Honestly some people who have expensive stuff try and kid themselves sometimes, to justify the cost of their system *smile*

So presumably you've compared some really expensive systems in a blind test against a £400 micro system and £500 speakers and can confirm from personal experience that they don't sound any better?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts