So.... THE HOBBIT, anyone? (possible spoilers)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Also if the Silmarillion is ever made I'd like to see it done as a big budget TV series. Perhaps a stand-alone episode for each chapter of the book. This would never have happened before game of thrones but given how successful that show is...well we can but hope

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You raise a good point about golem. I'm sure they will update the CGI on the next release of LOTR, as they with the recent bluray release. I just hope he doesn't go all George Lucas on us.

On a side not... Game of thrones is spectacular!

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
About HFR. I was let down by the cinema! Every time a fast pace action sequence occurred or characters started running it seemed to speed up, much like pressing fast forward!

Now please tell me I was the only one and HFR is worth it?

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
duaplex said:
You raise a good point about golem. I'm sure they will update the CGI on the next release of LOTR, as they with the recent bluray release. I just hope he doesn't go all George Lucas on us.

On a side not... Game of thrones is spectacular!

There's to BE an update of LOTR's ?

Do you think Peter will make a War of the Ring[/b] movie ?

As for Game Of Thrones, I watched the first one by my self and couldn't imagine watching this and the reast with my wife and children.... it seemed a tad 'pervy' to me.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I am guessing they will, nothing has been confirmed just yet. It would make sense to update the CGI on golem once more. This will keep him looking the same throughout, especially if we get a mega box set with both sets of films. Just a guess :)

As with most HBO shows, the theme is adult but nobody focuses on character development and story more. Perhaps one to watch in private, making it more pervy :rofl:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
duaplex said:
I am guessing they will, nothing has been confirmed just yet. It would make sense to update the CGI on golem once more. This will keep him looking the same throughout, especially if we get a mega box set with both sets of films.
GOLLUM! Ffs... And they won't update him, as Andy Serkis said himself, this is more than 50 years before LOTR so he's going to be looking a lot hotter than in the earlier films! Without the ring's influence for that time he's aged quickly, so it makes no sense for him to look "the same" in both sets of films.

manicm

I've seen it to in all its 3d 48fps glory - verdict's still out on the latter for me. As for the movie I thoroughly enjoyed it too, yes it was drawn out but I think it was a good thing as it captures the humour of the books - the dwarves are hilarious.

To that extent it addresses a few of the LOTR shortcomings (do I hear cocked rifles out for me) insofar as the main trilogy could have captured a bit more of the book's humour and quirkiness - the movies took themselves a bit too seriously I thought.

manicm

Read some mention Gollum here. From an acting and technical point of view his character was state of the art but, again I will be shot, you can have too much of a good thing I thought. While he was a revelation in LOTR, I really didn't feel like getting into the psyche of a wretched and schizophrenic creature for several more hours. To be honest I found his plot a bit tedious, and his character, for all its complexity, comes across as two-dimensional, maybe what they say about familiarity etc...Jackson could have given his character a bit more nuance here I thought. Or maybe I'm approaching an age where I'm more in the Donald Fagen camp of rock and roll rather than Kurt Cobain's...

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
You're not the only one duaplex, while watching in HFR I too noticed some parts that looked like they had sped up but not in many scenes. I thought it was just me getting used to HFR as the extra frames stop most of the blurring. Maybe its an error of the cinema though. Weird!

lxd55

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
Went to see it with the family, went for the 3-d, hfs & d-box experience, we all really enjoyed it - 1st time with d-box, this took the wow factor over the other effects. It isn't necessarily the fighting scene's that are epic, the scenes with the eagles flying was truly amazing with the seats.

concensus is to be selective on a few films to watch in 3-d and d-box, rather than opt for these every time. I think the hobbit is one of those films made for d-box.

it definitely got me thinking though, recall a while back Big Boss posting about a Buttkicker, searched for it again this am: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/ever-heard-of-a-buttkicker

toying with the idea of getting one, I know it's not a d-box, but from the feedback I've read it does seem to enhance the viewing. Has anyone else got one? Specifically the wireless version?

best for 2013 to you all btw :)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Good I wasn't the only one experiencing that problem. If that is common with HFR then no thanks

Now I'm fascinated by the buttkicker! Need to have a look at this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts