How to get the best LFE/Bass possible from my setup

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
To do it properly is going to mean time, effort and money mate no way around it so it needs to be worth it.

So you want to Test it out by spending the least as possible in the process. You also need 2 subs to test it properly so see about getting a home demo

Once you know it's worth the effort then make your plan from there in terms priority. Tv on wall going be first etc but you don't want do that until your 110% on the new layout obviously.

Please post the pics as it might change things if a door in way etc

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Well noted that subs are best out in corners. In my case , the length of the room is 14 ft. And depth is 11 ft. The TV will sit in the center of the length of the wall. And my sofa will be bang opposite it. So will I be better off putting the sub woofers on either side of the sofas. On the left side the sub will sit between the sofa and the wall. And on the right side, it will be open to the dining room. And I already have a q7070 si sub. And I can get one more of the same. Since room is not a dedicated media room, I also have to consider looks of the system. I presently have a q7000i style package. Nothing fancy....And are wireless sub woofer kits any good. That would make it easier to move them around, without the hard wiring being a restriction.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Can you post a diagram of the room so we can see the layout same as nugget did
Plus please start a new thread as this one is designed to help nugget. It will get messy trying to help 2 people

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Start a thread series 1 boy and add the second sub mate as part of your plan.
opens up more options for setup as well as more bass which is needed.
Rich will sort you a demo if your considering new kit. He could show you how he has integrated his system with a lyngdorf to get room perfect for bass and stereo performance. Room perfect does a very good job on sorting bass out.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Nugget your not going to like this but wait a minute before ruling it all out.

Your buggest problem in that room is lack of space - its long and very narrow - I think you havbe bought a lot of the wrong stuff and it might be an idea to semi start again.

For starters when space is lacking itsa best to buy wall mounted speakers not book shelves becasue you dont have the space.

You also want small speakers because its a small room.

The benefit of wall mounted speakers is getting them up off the floor so there is floor retail available for subwoofers to sit.

Now your sitting off the boundary and in the middle of the room you will get miminal room gain and minimum output from a sub - the middle of the room is where there is least bass pressure - this is not the end of the world I sit in the middle too but you have to factor this in.

This is what I think I would have done in the space

This is not to scale.

Had you been to a proper dealer they would have advised wall mounted straight away

Look at this dealer Seriously Cinema - this is his home atmos / dts x / auro Cinema

Its a tight space but its in there integrated nicely and neatly and souds very good

apart from the extra sub, this is how I'm going to do my front room, same colour scheme as well! :) I'm going to put some extra sound proofing on the chimney breast and wall attached to the neighbours side to minimise the noise and just trying to work that out. So if anyone has any effective ideas, they are welcome.. I suppose this is something nugget should be looking at too.

ill have definitive pro monitor speakers for the 4 ceiling corners for a 5.1.4 atmos and dtsx system. I've just ordered the Denon x6200 from Peter Tyson.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Start a thread series 1 boy and add the second sub mate as part of your plan. opens up more options for setup as well as more bass which is needed. Rich will sort you a demo if your considering new kit. He could show you how he has integrated his system with a lyngdorf to get room perfect for bass and stereo performance. Room perfect does a very good job on sorting bass out.

im worried about the noise from the extra sub, neighbours and all that :)

i will start a new thread in my system. We are doing a full revamp downstairs, new kitchen, flooring etc and it's all open plan and I want to get the sound right. Speakers, cables hidden etc.

Ill be keeping my VT pdp a couple more years and then I'll drop a 65" oled in its place when it's all settled in more for 4K.

im in Sheffield, and the only decent audio shops is Sevenoaks and audio images and not sure they have an atmos demo... Where is this guy based with the room setup ellisdj?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Series1 its Hertfordshire - Audio Images are cool I bought all my Meridian kit from them - nice people but no idea what the showroom is like. They have been very good to me cant recommend them highly enough

Its a trip down but could be a worthwhile one - he has access to other demo facilities that blows your socks off (I dont mean mine although you can come here if you want while your down, bring BB :) - and to be fair a vist here could change your plans after seeing how things can be done. Dont buy anything else yet - hold fire. Dont make anymore plans. Trust me.

I did a big renovation - visted these premises then wished I had seen them before as less than 12 months later I changed pretty much everything I had just done - imagine how much money I wasted, I dont even want to know. My system know is pretty special I think - waiting for some seasoned listeners to come over and give them their opinions.

People need to make more effort initially to get out demoing so that what they buy and install is 100% right for them and done right also. A lot of the time people are shooting in the dark I think and could have done things better had they had some better advice from the start - I include myself in this catergory hence why I am saying it.

I must admit I would love to be a consultant to work with people to get more out of their systems audio and video - I think I would be a bloody good one as well

There is IdealAV up your way somewhere - they stock and demo quite a range by all accounts BB went to them

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
You've convinced me mate. I'll hang off with the speaker selection because I'm going to replace the lot. I'll give Andy a call at audio images and see what he's got in and *** down. He's a big supplier on focal and definitive technology speakers and I've purchased all my speakers from him.

im still buying the x6200 because they've given a good part ex on my X4100 and this will arrive next week sometime.

Series1boy said:
ellisdj said:
Start a thread series 1 boy and add the second sub mate as part of your plan. opens up more options for setup as well as more bass which is needed. Rich will sort you a demo if your considering new kit. He could show you how he has integrated his system with a lyngdorf to get room perfect for bass and stereo performance. Room perfect does a very good job on sorting bass out.

i will start a new thread in my system. We are doing a full revamp downstairs, new kitchen, flooring etc and it's all open plan and I want to get the sound right. Speakers, cables hidden etc. 

Ill be keeping my VT pdp a couple more years and then I'll drop a 65" oled in its place when it's all settled in more for 4K.

im in Sheffield, and the only decent audio shops is Sevenoaks and audio images and not sure they have an atmos demo... Where is this guy based with the room setup ellisdj?
Speak to Allan at Ideal AV, based in Wakefield. I think he has an Atmos system to demo.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Dual subs is not just about more bass, it can increase the amount of bass in a certain range I. E.lower freq.
It will give more headroom for the big bang moments
It allows more flexibility for setup and can improve freq response and make a larger sweets pot.

No brainer when you consider all that really

Idealav will be able to demo MK speakers and jl audio subs happy days

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ztZlxPQ.jpg
[/img]

jHWO2oZ.jpg
[/img]

Yk2Q3Co.jpg
[/img]

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Series1boy said:
ellisdj said:

Speak to Allan at Ideal AV, based in Wakefield. I think he has an Atmos system to demo.

thanks BB

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Dual subs is not just about more bass, it can increase the amount of bass in a certain range I. E.lower freq. It will give more headroom for the big bang moments It allows more flexibility for setup and can improve freq response and make a larger sweets pot.

No brainer when you consider all that really

Idealav will be able to demo MK speakers and jl audio subs happy days

thanks, I'll look into 2 subs.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Didnt have time this morning to take a photo of the front wall and upload here. Just got done with a macklemore concert. It made me more determined to get better sound. Even my t shirt was blowing thats a first!

Got some ideas wonder if any good. Will share tomorrow with the photo.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Wow thats a lot of pressure to move your tshirt - remember PA is different to home - banks of huge speakers normally with folded horn designs for extension and output. If you want this sound buy some Funktion 1

I was thinking what are your neighbours like?? - because of you load up on big subs they are going to know about it and you dont want to have to keep dialling it down - you want them working hard

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Wow thats a lot of pressure to move your tshirt - remember PA is different to home - banks of huge speakers normally with folded horn designs for extension and output.  If you want this sound buy some Funktion 1

I was thinking what are your neighbours like?? - because of you load up on big subs they are going to know about it and you dont want to have to keep dialling it down - you want them working hard 

From the 2 years ive lived here not had 1 knock at the door or complaint. And i always listen at least 80db when the receiver is on. 90 db even 100db few times nothing.

I do try my best to take advantage of when he isnt in by having it louder then (dog barks when hes out) good thing he has a yappy jack russell. Hes the only neighbour that will be able to hear much and hes directly underneath me i live in a flat

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
That cool for you then I saw you looked like being in a flat so was just thinking you install a pair of bigger subs you might get a knock on the door if you have that type of neighbour

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The arendal sub 3 is probably to big for nugget is the only sub they offer with a natural flat freq response in vented mode, the others its very much tapered off and must be designed for room gain balance? Depends on how your room is and where you sit but you can always plug it and use sealed if its booming. So far user feedback on them is strong but noone has compared directly to any other strong contenders that I have seen or posted any in room responses

EDIT BB why dont you just buy another DXD1202 - I know someone who is selling one atm - he had it ina bedroom so wouldnt have flogged it if that makes sense

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You could run both - I dont think it would matter them being different as the lower end of the 1202 is very much omni by the stage - getting them level for output would be trickier but doable.

I have 2 exact subs and need 1 higher than the other for better integration with that same side speaker

No cash for upgrades is different though. When are you down Essex way next

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
i thought dual subs would be better for overall response?

is it not a wise idea to have 2 different types of sub at the same time? for example if i was eventually going to get 2 sb 2000's, or 2 xtz subs. i could buy one whenever i have the funds. keep using my ikon sub alongside and once i can afford it sell my dali and get another of the same make?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts