How to get the best LFE/Bass possible from my setup

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
do you know of any 18" subs that are similar in price? worth a shot. arendal is expensive but looks amazing

I'm struggling with the "similar in price" criterion. However, I can help with the first bit, try this

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/velodyne_dd18+.shtml?gclid=CK2cnvu7oswCFZUW0wodTq8D7w and review here http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/velodyne-dd18-969866/review. I hope that you would find the Velodyne satisfactory?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You can have 4 SB13's Ultras for the same price as that, know what I would have.

SB13 Ultras Stacked 2 high would be seriously cool trust me.

Thats why the Arendal is a good option dual opposed (reduces box colouration) 15" drivers 1000w, designed by someone who knows his stuff - be a very good sub. Weighs50kg I think something like that

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
By the way, nugget, exactly how big is your room?

FFi8Dyd.jpg
[/img]

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Nugget your not going to like this but wait a minute before ruling it all out.

Your buggest problem in that room is lack of space - its long and very narrow - I think you havbe bought a lot of the wrong stuff and it might be an idea to semi start again.

For starters when space is lacking itsa best to buy wall mounted speakers not book shelves becasue you dont have the space.

You also want small speakers because its a small room.

The benefit of wall mounted speakers is getting them up off the floor so there is floor retail available for subwoofers to sit.

Now your sitting off the boundary and in the middle of the room you will get miminal room gain and minimum output from a sub - the middle of the room is where there is least bass pressure - this is not the end of the world I sit in the middle too but you have to factor this in.

This is what I think I would have done in the space

nugget%20idea%201_zps7f6gzoma.jpg

This is not to scale.

Had you been to a proper dealer they would have advised wall mounted straight away

Look at this dealer Seriously Cinema - this is his home atmos / dts x / auro Cinema

IMG_5341-small.jpg

Its a tight space but its in there integrated nicely and neatly and souds very good

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The benefit of wall mounted speakers is improved bass freq as well - so its win win.

If your mostly cinema as well then you would probably prefer cinema style speakers as well to hifi style - a lot of people do.

I also think getting your main speakers further apart will be huge benefit - your system wont be crammed into a corner.

You will still need to decide on sub locations but I bet all of a sudden the now front 2 corners works really well and you can go higher crossover as well 100 - 150hz

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am not that clued up on small cinema style speaker - orginally I was thinking MA Apex these are cracking speakes and you can toe then in easy on their brackets.

Or an alternative is MK Sound - M series range which are very slim but will still play proper loud. A lot of people love MK inc THX.

I prefer MA but thats just me

SeriouslyCinema

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
There are several options available but as most of the equipment has been purchased the best way forward is to work with it.

Can you accommodate a pair of subs? 1 in each corner, using the corner loading and dual subs to increase the overall db and smooth out the bad response.

Regards

Rich@SeriouslyCinema

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
So just to be clear you mean speakers mounted on the wall and not in wall speakers? Will have to have a think. Redoing the whole system doesnt seem appealing but i dont know..

SeriouslyCinema

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
So just to be clear you mean speakers mounted on the wall and not in wall speakers? Will have to have a think. Redoing the whole system doesnt seem appealing but i dont know..
Thats is what EllisDJ means.

I think a pair of subs, just saw you cant do 2 at the front, could do wonders if properly set up.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
SeriouslyCinema said:
There are several options available but as most of the equipment has been purchased the best way forward is to work with it.

Can you accommodate a pair of subs? 1 in each corner, using the corner loading and dual subs to increase the overall db and smooth out the bad response.

Regards

Rich@SeriouslyCinema

Do you mean the corners at the back near the alcove behind sofa? Yes. I can although the sofa being directly infront of the sub got quite a lot of vibration

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Ellisdj, in your very professional diagram in post #32, I'm not clear where the subwoofer would go?

Thanks SonofSJ for acknowledging my skills. I am especially proud of the colours used :)

I left the subs off on purpose as that is what's being discussed in the thread.

Even Rich Seriouslycinema thinks corners for the subs but the only way for nugget to do this is swop the room around as per my diagram ish.

He could stand his speakers on top of the subs for now until he decides to keep or change this and that

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Even Rich Seriouslycinema thinks corners for the subs but the only way for nugget to do this is swop the room around as per my diagram ish.

He could stand his speakers on top of the subs for now until he decides to keep or change this and that

In my bedrooms, I have two subwoofers in each room, and the main left / right "floorstanding", about 80cm tall, speakers are on top of the subwoofers, because there is nowhere else for the subwoofers to go - the rooms' main function is as bedrooms, after all!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
C'mon guys, I gotta sleep somewhere ....

bigboss said:
Son_of_SJ said:
the rooms' main function is as bedrooms, after all!
Really?? Is that your priority? Even your kitchen is a home cinema room!! ;)

And in fact the kitchen is where I listen to most Blu-rays and (occassionally) DVDs. After all, while I have a film playing in the kitchen, I can cook, iron, eat ... whereas while I play a film in the parlour I can only watch the film. Yes, the kitchen system isn't as good as the parlour system, but hey, it would probably be good enough for a good many enthusiasts. Just sometimes I play a film in the parlour, just to remind myself of my top system, but mostly I'm in the kitchen to watch films. When I'm feeling really lazy I play films on my bedroom system!

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Nugget, if I was you and taking into consideration your room size and your existing kit. I would re-arrange your room, then spend money on calibrating your picture on your tv and your sound calibrated, both professionally. I think you would save lots of money intstead of putting in more speakers, subs etc. This would cost more and it may still not sound right.

my view is to maximise your existing system because it ain't a bad one and half the problems people have is not setting their systems up properly in the first place.

this is my 2 penneth....

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Just wanted to chip in to say that I absolutely loved reading this post. Even I will get 2 subs for my small romm of 11x14 ft. Both in front , just below the TV. And fondly hope it amazes me..:)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
It's recommended to put the subs in the corners there a few reasons for this.
Shortly increased spl and improved timing

This will excite your room modes more so you need to manage the bass passively or electronically.

Post your impressions and what subs are you considering?

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Technically it can be done turning my system round to the other wall..theres a radiator there on the back wall dont know if that would affect placement of my unit. I have a patio door so not sure where the right surround speaker would then go. If i take some up to date photos of my room possibly could point me in the right direction as i cant see it fully working from my perspective. Open to moving it though for sure.

Just imagine if the sub sounded the same after moving it all around!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts