How to get the best LFE/Bass possible from my setup

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
N0E43VT.jpg
[/img]

BIqljnR.jpg
[/img]

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
looking back on the suggestions, by the time i pay off my tv and everything else so far the sub will be next on the list.

not sure where the surround back speakers would go behind me since i will be sat further away from the wall near the door. will my quite small satellies still work well enough if sat 8ft away from them? i assume so but want to make sure.

so when i can afford to upgrade my sub, i should move my system to the other wall. and put a sub in each front corner? i'm not wall mounting the tv though. plus i still need the av rack for my receiver. i then would have proper installation of everything, get all the wires trunked going to speakers etc make it tidy..

i'd like a 5 year plan on what i want my home cinema to be down the road. maybe if i eventually get a 4k projector with a big enough screen i can move my sofa to the back wall again 12ft away from the screen with sofa in the middle of back wall and have a sub each corner then.

just need to know which subs would work the best.. since dual give more volume at lower frequencies rather than the 1 sub dual sealed could work at still getting usable LFE?

thinking about all the seating and sub positions i've had over the 2 years i'm still unsure of why the performance has never been that good. i've had the sofa back wall with the sub in the corner right next to the sub, and then to the right of the sofa back wall.. i've tried basically every sub and sofa position combo possible in the room. and never felt anything, maybe it IS the sub more than anything, but a 12" sub pumping out 110db should make me feel something..

edit: just remembering. i felt something while listening to music i think (by accident) was with my mum watching music videos on youtube and turned it louder and louder with the bass lacking. so turned the gain to max and still the same turns out the sub was off. turned on forgetting to dial the gain down a few seconds later it turned on and the room was booming violently. fair to say me and my mum got a heart attack! the position then was in front of my left speaker front left corner as you can see in the photo. very unsightly to have it sitting there like a sore thumb but i will maybe try it there one more time to see. i walked around the room the other day while it was on to see if there was a strong point and indeed the front left next to speaker sounded strongest.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You keep saying 110db - you do know pretty much only the best subs you can buy put out 110db in a range worthy of note.

For example - the SB13Ultra works to about 95db flat to 30hz - it will go higher but then compression limits kick in.

That extra 10db is so hard to achieve its the equivalent of 2 Sb13 Ultras - but put 2 of them in your room you will know about it.

I would forget the 110db test for now - and concentrate on other things. Like going to hear a system with dual subs at the front and see if its for you / what you are looking for. Take the time while yuo pay off your TV wisely - and putting it up on the wall will the best thing you ever do - its much better up on the wall.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
You keep saying 110db - you do know pretty much only the best subs you can buy put out 110db in a range worthy of note.

For example - the SB13Ultra works to about 95db flat to 30hz - it will go higher but then compression limits kick in.

That extra 10db is so hard to achieve its the equivalent of 2 Sb13 Ultras - but put 2 of them in your room you will know about it.

I would forget the 110db test for now - and concentrate on other things. Like going to hear a system with dual subs at the front and see if its for you / what you are looking for. Take the time while yuo pay off your TV wisely - and putting it up on the wall will the best thing you ever do - its much better up on the wall.

well the spl meter was very close to the sub. maybe that's why *unknw*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
That would be measuring a room mode - thats not the actual sub output - its boosted by the echo in room.

Thats not good bass regardless of the output

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Dual subs is not just about more bass, it can increase the amount of bass in a certain range I. E.lower freq. It will give more headroom for the big bang moments It allows more flexibility for setup and can improve freq response and make a larger sweets pot.

I've been away from this thread for a few days, so I've only just seen ellisdj's post #61 from Saturday 23rd April. This is one of those rare cases when a typographical error, of which I certainly make my share, results in an acceptable alternative meaning! | quite fancy a larger sweets pot. The larger pot should contain Snickers, shortbread, lemon meringue pie, trifle ......

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I should be getting a backdated payment of £3000 it looks like. If so i can buy another/upgrade a sub sooner than expected.

Is it not a possibility for me to put another sub back left behind the sofa? (For anyone who has helped me and seen the room layout drawing) then i dont have to change the room around. I would be happy to do so. But dont know where the surround speakers would go

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
i was speaking to someone from svs today who seemed to think it's fine to run 2 subs different models/brands at the same time in a setup, which would be a pb-2000 and my ikon mk2. is this true or would it make things odd and worse? would i notice that my subs dont sound the same?

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
Yes you can run different subs, but you will need to manually adjust them to match. Otherwise, if one sub is more powerful than the other, you will notice the mismatch. An antimode is an excellent shout.

So i would need an antimode to manually adjust them the best. Or would it work without?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
all an antimode does is in the name it will reduce room induced bass peaks it wont give you automatically amazing bass dude just bear that in mind. Not saying its a bad unit they are good units just factor that in when buying.

You want huge bone rattling bass - you need either lots of cone surface ideally then plenty of power to allow the sub to extend the bass in a small box. Thats why dual opposed 15inch drivers in the one box is so appealing i.e. Arendal it has huge cone surface area making it a very efficient design for its power

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
all an antimode does is in the name it will reduce room induced bass peaks it wont give you automatically amazing bass dude just bear that in mind. Not saying its a bad unit they are good units just factor that in when buying.

You want huge bone rattling bass - you need either lots of cone surface ideally then plenty of power to allow the sub to extend the bass in a small box. Thats why dual opposed 15inch drivers in the one box is so appealing i.e. Arendal it has huge cone surface area making it a very efficient design for its power

tell me straight, will i be able to achieve that with dual pb-2000's? or is going dual pointless in my room and 1 big sub the only way to replicate that? is there an option to replicate hard hitting bass like the arendal. but in a dual variety of cheaper subs? 1 big sub at like £1200 is not what i ideally want to buy. i'd prefer to have something sooner rather than later. if i was to go dual with a similar amount of combined output i could buy one much sooner, then another when i can afford it.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
just realised the arendal is sealed, i think ported might work best after speaking to svs, as well as movies being most of what i use my system for. if i got lucky and found a svs pb13 ultra second hand like i seen before one at £1000, would just one of those get the job done, would i still get tactile bass that i can feel even if my seating position doesn't give me fully optimal conditions or would i still feel nothing? the 15" PSA ported also looks tempting for the price, not sure how it compares to the ultra though.

http://www.chromapure.co.uk/details.asp?id=378&type=products

since most places offer a 30 day return period, i could try it in a current viewing position. and if no change i could move the room to how ellis suggested and try again. if no change then i could return and then try dual subs..

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am talking about you having dual subs dual whatever you buy one now one later.

But you want monstrous bass I am not sure your going to get what you want from small subs like what you have.

Dual arendal sub 2 is 4 x 15 inch that's loads.

However how these will work in your small room you need to measure and see really

But either way you sit in the middle of the room this is the spot for least bass so you need more to get the same

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
if i`ve read this correct, as your only in Sheffield you should have a listen to the JL subs as has aleady been suggested, you don`t need 2 subs to acheive good bass, dual subs will, if setup properly give you a flatter inroom response and help pressurise the larger rooms

to get good bass you need a good sub,,,,,, simples, but the best of subs in a difficult room will need help of some kind or another, usually positioning and eq integration goes a long way

subs are a very personal item of your av system, some people like loud thunderous bass that bends your bones, some like the often referred to as "chest slam", others like a clean sounding tight but musical bass, its difficult to get all this from a single sub so having a demo is very recommended

have a read of this SoundStage! Access | SoundStageAccess.com (GoodSound.com)

thanks for the mention guys as well, its appreciated

Allan

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ideal av said:
if i`ve read this correct, as your only in Sheffield you should have a listen to the JL subs as has aleady been suggested, you don`t need 2 subs to acheive good bass, dual subs will, if setup properly give you a flatter inroom response and help pressurise the larger rooms

to get good bass you need a good sub,,,,,, simples, but the best of subs in a difficult room will need help of some kind or another, usually positioning and eq integration goes a long way

subs are a very personal item of your av system, some people like loud thunderous bass that bends your bones, some like the often referred to as "chest slam", others like a clean sounding tight but musical bass, its difficult to get all this from a single sub so having a demo is very recommended

have a read of this SoundStage! Access | SoundStageAccess.com (GoodSound.com)

thanks for the mention guys as well, its appreciated

Allan

i'm based in nottingham

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
i've decided what to do fully now.

will see if changing my room around to how you suggested is a possibility with everything being fine before considering a sub change.

15" ported PSA sub, and the svs line are what i will look out for, see if i can get a second hand svs ultra, sealed or ported, most likely get a home demo of a single pb-2000 once my room is different to see how it fares

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
sorry its this guy who i read was in sheffield

Series1boy said:
i`m in Sheffield, and the only decent audio shops is Sevenoaks and audio images and not sure they have an atmos demo...

FYI. i have an Atmos room which receives quite good feedback from people who have heard it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts