So I got my V-Dac...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Finally got the MF V-Dac yesterday. Hooked it up to my Arcam A85 and connected to the laptop and the RS8's are singing to a much better tune than before.

I tested one song quite rigorously yesterday using the J2P > Amp vs. DAC > Amp and the audible difference was very noticable. The speakers perform much better at lower volumes and clarity is much better. While there is a big improvement, I wouldn't say it's monumental, which is probably down to the Amp... I don't think it has that umph I'm looking for after testing it for a few months with the MA RS8's.

Anyway, back to the DAC, for just over £100 I have to say it's a complete steal and much recommended if you listen to music through your PC/laptop.

Would like some advise on a few things however...

1) I am using the SHB interconnects which I picked up for a tenner... would better interconnects make much of a difference to the sound, as I have heard these raved about on here.

2) In terms of the USB connection, I am just using some old lead I found in the drawer. Does this make a difference? I have read differing things here - some day it doesn't and on the Beresford Caiman Website they implied it does, but whether or not this was a sales strategy to sell a more expensive one, I don't know..

John Duncan

I would be more concerned with the analogue interconnects than the USB cable, though I'm personally sceptical about the benefits of expensive digital leads (just IMO, with no evidence to back it up). Whereas I have 200+ quid Chord Chorus interconnects between my DAC and my amp...

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:I would be more concerned with the analogue interconnects than the USB cable, though I'm personally sceptical about the benefits of expensive digital leads (just IMO, with no evidence to back it up). Whereas I have 200+ quid Chord Chorus interconnects between my DAC and my amp...

Yeah - I imagine the interconnect is the area for improvement if anywhere. Can anyone help with regard to using SHB interconnects as opposed to more expensive ones?

I picked up the V-Dac from ebay for about £120 with the SHB interconnects also.

APatel8:

JohnDuncan:I would be more concerned with the analogue interconnects than the USB cable, though I'm personally sceptical about the benefits of expensive digital leads (just IMO, with no evidence to back it up). Whereas I have 200+ quid Chord Chorus interconnects between my DAC and my amp...

Yeah - I imagine the interconnect is the area for improvement if anywhere. Can anyone help with regard to using SHB interconnects as opposed to more expensive ones?

Quick message to the OP

How do you like the combo of the A85 & RS8?

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:APatel8:

Quick message to the OP

Hey,

I think the synergy between the two is very good.

However, I think the amp lacks that punch I like from my music... it is a little weak. I like my music with big powerful sound but still manages to maintain that controlled sound. I think for my musical tastes I will be upgrading in the future but for now the sound isn't too bad at all.,

APatel8:plastic penguin:APatel8:

Quick message to the OP

Hey,

I think the synergy between the two is very good.

However, I think the amp lacks that punch I like from my music... it is a little weak. I like my music with big powerful sound but still manages to maintain that controlled sound. I think for my musical tastes I will be upgrading in the future but for now the sound isn't too bad at all.,

Good - the obvious choice would be the P85 power amp. That should give you the extra ooomph you're looking for.....

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
APatel8:

I've noticed improvements with coaxial but not needed usb. I would up the ante with interconnects and speaker cable - you can sell them on if need be. Cheaper than changing your amp. Odyssey speaker cable is excellent and any of the Chords from Chameleon up will improve your system imo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts